I junked my two square port exhaust manifolds.

kgrantkey

Thought I.d never need them. I have changed heads from w58 to a u67 with square exhaust ports. My trucks exhaust is set up for the manifold with round exhausts and one outlet.

I;m just wondering if I;m gonna lose enough flow for it to be noticable while I tool around town. I'm not into racing and rarely wined my motor up, but I hate to restrict the flow of engine much.

Should I keep an eye out for a certain stock manifold that will improve the breathing in my L20b Lil Hustler truck? Should I do any grinding on my existing exhaust manifold?

P82A0284.jpg

P82A0286.jpg

P82A0285.jpg

This is my only exhausr manifold.  I wish I'd at least kept one of the others with the square holes and fins on the side, but they didn;t fit my tail pipe and I did a house cleaning.

Am I in bad shape? Any Ideas.   Looks like I could at least grind the stems off that used to go to smog recirculation and maybe open up the exhaust ports.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/item/3020-misc-510zx-cheap-all-the-things-i-cleaned-my-garage/

^ He's got one advertised for $40.

But I really don't think you will notice any power loss.  Plus you would have to change the down pipe severely.  If you're worried about power loss, do like you suggested, just open the ports up a little bit, and you will be fine.  I used an oxy/acetylene torch to melt down those air injector tubes in on themselves and plug the holes.  Worked great.

I'm sure he didn't literally junk them. We always give away the extra Datsun parts.

When I said I junked them They went to the salvage yard with an L16, two old datsun 4 speeds about 8 pr of small block chevy heads a barrel full of starters and all kinds of stuff. I posted a picture of all my datsun junk on this site I believe but living in AL it costs too much to ship anything that weighs very much.

I live in the city limits and just got a letter about my 620 thats sitting in the driveway.  It's got the motor and tranny out with both front fenders off so I gotta push it in the basement or get a ticket.

One day I'll go thru some of the smaller stuff like a dizzy or two and try to make a trade.  It's a pain working on a vehicle outside of the basement.

I'll probably use this exhaust manifold to get me on the road. Shame I didn't even keep 1 of my old exhaust manifolds. The exhaust system is set up for the single outlet this exhaust provides. I long ago plugged the egr tubes with brass plugs. 

It looks like it will cause some restriction to the exhaust gasses leaving the head.

Well, almost each poster has some work in progress on their ride. This is just one of several I have with this 620.

I made a few modifications to the exhaust manifold.

P82A0304.jpg

I also had to buy another gasket. The one that cane with the set wse for the squarw ports. I also had to do some port matching on the haed.

P82A0306.jpg

It's a little rough now but it should work pretty well when I finish.

P82A0304.jpg

• Like 1

I used some of that loquid metal, It's like a past and is supposed to withstand 1250 F.  to plug the egr tubes. I just need to buff it a little bit and see how it does. As stated before this is not gonna be a race car,  Just a truck to use when I need one.

Round manifold on square port is much harder to seal than square on round. Remains to be seen if that 'liquid metal will work. J B weld is only silicon/iron dust held together with resin and good to only 500F continuous and 600F tops for only 10 min.... maybe. Perhaps you have something better but you would want at least 800-900F

P82A0308.jpg

The plastic container above the manifold is a product calld "Quick Steel" it says it's goos to 1240 degrees ferenheight.  I wish I could weld. I've got a buddy that said if it goesnt hold he'll weld it for me.

The manifpld gasket is for this type exhaust purchased separately. The one that came with the set was square hole gasket, I've used a router on the exhaust and matched the head and exhaust ports.

Over all I think it turned out OK.  Time will tell.

P82A0309.jpg

P82A0310.jpg

Sad story.....I drove this truck to parts store and met a guy outside. He said ha had 7 of these trucks and if I ever need anything just call him. I even rode by his house to make a swapp but its been so lpng ago I lost the number and couldn.t find his house again if I tried,