Any Nissan powered forklift gurus?

Hey all, got myself in a bit of a predicament. I've got this forklift at work (we call her Big Alice, because she's got a big ass) and I was giving her a tuneup, and I forgot to mark the plug wires before I took the cap off. Now normally I would have switched them over to the new cap, but I had to take it into Carquest to find a new one. I've tried hooking it up per the l28 motors, but either the rotor at TDC is pointing somewhere else, or the firing order is different. I was hoping someone on here would recognize the motor and be able to help.

Pics:

This is Big Alice. Truck on the right for reference:

DSCN3036_zps6ea0ee59.jpg

Motor pics:

DSCN3037_zpsfeba37f1.jpg

DSCN3038_zps0d45edbc.jpgDSCN3039_zps05d84302.jpg

DSCN3044_zpse71d5fe0.jpgDSCN3042_zps5dba6406.jpg

Water pump:

DSCN3041_zps643b0777.jpg

DSCN3048_zpsd79be1f0.jpg

DSCN3049_zpsfe6432e6.jpg

Under the cap:

DSCN3045_zps9ac75fcd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pull the valve cover off, turn the engine slowly in it's normal direction, and watch the exhaust valves.  The exhaust valve will open, then the intake valve will open, on each cylinder as you rotate the engine.  As the engine is rotating, write down the order the valves move.  That is your firing order.

This works with ANY four stroke cycle engine.

• Like 2

Firing order: 1-5-3-6-2-4
Point gap" 0.45-0.55mm
Dwell angle: 35-41 degrees
Spark plug Standard: BP6ES - Gap: 0.8-0.9

Turn anti-clockwise.

from-----http://patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2469

find #1 firing spot by putting your thumb over the #1 plug hole (#1 plug removed, and cap removed), crank over the starter with real quick blips  until it 'burps' your thumb away from the hole and turn the key off.  Get a  socket n ratchet and put the pulley at top dead center.  Hook up the plug wires and  it should run.

So I got the wires hooked up today in 1-5-3-6-2-4 order lined up to what I thought was TDC, but no go. Then the damn starter died. (It was already on it's way out, this was the final straw I guess)

God luck with finding any parts, that's a Nissan Patrol engine. Getting parts is extremely difficult. Way worse than the 4 cylinders that you usually find in Nissan forklifts.

Yay.   <_<

Pull the valve cover off, turn the engine slowly in it's normal direction, and watch the exhaust valves.  The exhaust valve will open, then the intake valve will open, on each cylinder as you rotate the engine.  As the engine is rotating, write down the order the valves move.  That is your firing order.

This works with ANY four stroke cycle engine.

I'll have to do this tomorrow.

Wow. P series. Interresting

It'd be nicer if it was an l28 or something that has more parts availability.

.That fan looks wicked, carefull

I see nothing wrong with it.

The firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4, anti-clockwise

Thanks, I found this right before work. Unfortunately, I don't know where TDC is on the dist. I can't get to the front of the motor very easily and fine tuning crank positioning is gonna be a bitch.

Firing order: 1-5-3-6-2-4
Point gap" 0.45-0.55mm
Dwell angle: 35-41 degrees
Spark plug Standard: BP6ES - Gap: 0.8-0.9

Turn anti-clockwise.

from-----http://patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2469

find #1 firing spot by putting your thumb over the #1 plug hole (#1 plug removed, and cap removed), crank over the starter with real quick blips  until it 'burps' your thumb away from the hole and turn the key off.  Get a  socket n ratchet and put the pulley at top dead center.  Hook up the plug wires and  it should run.

I'm not sure yet how I'm gonna get things lined up yet. I can't get to the front of the motor very easily and I'm pretty sure that even if the markings on the pulley are clean, theres just too much other shit in the way to see it, and fine tuning crank positioning is gonna be a bitch.

The much hiped Nissan forklift with Patrol power really does exist. I read about this so much on Patrol sites years ago with no proof until now! The rotor in pic no.10 down from the top is the same as my 66 Patrol with none water proof dizzie. I don't see points in that diz. If there is a part no. on the diz. ignition module pass it on please! Check for PM.

• Like 1

Hey guys, got it running. Rotor ended up pointing at about 2 o'clock for #1 and the order was 1-5-3-6-2-4, A-C. She's nothing special, but if anyone's interested, I can get a vid of her running.

The much hiped Nissan forklift with Patrol power really does exist. I read about this so much on Patrol sites years ago with no proof until now! The rotor in pic no.10 down from the top is the same as my 66 Patrol with none water proof dizzie. I don't see points in that diz. If there is a part no. on the diz. ignition module pass it on please! Check for PM.

Sorry to tell you, it's actually a Komatsu lift (unless Komatsu=Nissan?). I posted here because it's Nissan powered. The part number is in that pic (39s-v4). There's no other numbers as far as I can tell, but I'll double check, and those wires go straight to the coil.