Seat Belts errr....... I need

The other day while driving through Hayward a CHP pulled me over in spite of having a shredded seat belt. He asked me, "do you really think that seat belt is going to save your life in event of an accident?" I looked at it and said " well yes, i think it would ".

Long story short FIX IT TICKET. 

Anyone recommend an easy seat belt swap or replacement for 1972 521? The ones on ebay look cheezy. 

RVD

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Autozone or napa have universal lap belts for 15-20 bucks or so- just need to points to bolt them in...

End of the day though a seat belt has a  purpose and do you really want to mess with that? these cars/trucks are tin cans and dont provide much saftey might as well add as much as you can with a good belt.

Hell I might even have one lying around. I bought one to put in my passenger seat until i figured out which harness I wanted to run. now i have dual 5 point harnesses in my 510- there a pain for people who have never used em, but i could harness in blindfolded and its one lever to release. keeps you planted in the seat for turns too.

Ill try and remember to look through my bin of parts tomorrow.

But yea id say just run to napa or autozone or whatever and pick one up 

• Like 1

The auto zone by my house is pretty stocked, I'll check with them, just didn't want to dig through pick and pull. I can drill them if necessary.

Tin cans for sure, fist new seat belts them maybe a roll bar, I guess a baja 500 set up would be the safest if I ever fly off the road.

thxs for heads up

If you're interested in retractable belts, you might look around the junkyard for some with a built-in inertia locking mechanism. Early '80s Honda, etc-- something that's not too integrated into the car. I put RX7 seat belts in my 1200.

RX7 sounds about right, 80's stuff

I'm waiting for delivery of a set of these...

http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/WSCH14134C-12.html

In the charcoal color to match the OG belts currently in my 620. They'll arrive this week I hope. Then I'll post pix

I was looking at those for my 620.  Then I parted out a '78 and scored the stock units from that one... Only to find out that my cab mounts are rusted clean through and with the frame sticking up through the floor board, I can't mount the belts in the stock location!!  So I guess I need to fix the floor before I get the luxury of retractable belts!

So RatVonDude, you might want to make sure you don't have any issues like that before you lay the money down on retractable belts...

In the charcoal color to match the OG belts currently in my 620. They'll arrive this week I hope. Then I'll post pix

Cool, mine are charcoal too. Your 620 looks dope. Original paint?

I was looking at those for my 620.  Then I parted out a '78 and scored the stock units from that one... Only to find out that my cab mounts are rusted clean through and with the frame sticking up through the floor board, I can't mount the belts in the stock location!!  So I guess I need to fix the floor before I get the luxury of retractable belts!

So RatVonDude, you might want to make sure you don't have any issues like that before you lay the money down on retractable belts...

Its always something with little things like seat belts, I'm gonna give a look. I was thinking of replacing the damaged stuff with a nylon guitar strap and keep the hardware

Just go to an auto upholstery store and get new belt webbing in the right size.

Then take your old belt off and take it to an auto upholstery shop and tell them you need the new web on the old belt and it sewed back up to DOT spec.

Belts must be sewn in DOT spec, a cop can write you a ticket if they are not.

Just go to an auto upholstery store and get new belt webbing in the right size.

Then take your old belt off and take it to an auto upholstery shop and tell them you need the new web on the old belt and it sewed back up to DOT spec.

Belts must be sewn in DOT spec, a cop can write you a ticket if they are not.

got the web, was hoping to get around the dot sewing but maybe not

Oh, its not that bad, The last upholstery shop quoted me like $15 per belt. And that was to rebuild with me providing the webbing, not just to sew the ends. I cant imagine it being more than a few bucks.

That sounds good, its just the chest portion piece, one bracket. There are a few things i need to get from one of these shops, like a few feet of vinyl, 

Autozone or napa have universal lap belts for 15-20 bucks or so- just need to points to bolt them in...

End of the day though a seat belt has a  purpose and do you really want to mess with that? these cars/trucks are tin cans and dont provide much saftey might as well add as much as you can with a good belt.

Hell I might even have one lying around. I bought one to put in my passenger seat until i figured out which harness I wanted to run. now i have dual 5 point harnesses in my 510- there a pain for people who have never used em, but i could harness in blindfolded and its one lever to release. keeps you planted in the seat for turns too.

Ill try and remember to look through my bin of parts tomorrow.

But yea id say just run to napa or autozone or whatever and pick one up 

Ya safety is a important. Been watching the Adam Corolla Bre car cam. He is always going on about the 5 point harness. Do you have a roll cage in your 510? Was thinking of doing something to my 521. Also my drum brakes suck

Ya safety is a important. Been watching the Adam Corolla Bre car cam. He is always going on about the 5 point harness. Do you have a roll cage in your 510? Was thinking of doing something to my 521. Also my drum brakes suck

Yah I have a roll bar- was a cage but the prior owner cut the front part out. I would have done the same, since its a street the car. Full cages are  great if you are wearing a helmet... but lets face it, none of us wear  a helmet when we drive our cars on the street, so full cages are actually more dangerous since steal tubes and skulls do not mix well. 

At the same time 5/4 points and cars with out a cage do not mix well either.\

Harnesses are great because they hold you in the seat no matter what is going on outside of the car. At the same time that is a problem without a cage since in the car rolles and you have a harness and  no cage your head and neck is forced downward as the car crunches... if you have a cage though the roof..../ your head and neck is supported/saved by the rolln bar.

These cars are such tin cans that i feel much safer with the rollnbar and the harness. The biggest thing I think about is that i have a steal tube right next to my seat.... so god forbid i get t-boned i have some hope of surviving.

but it is also great for auto crossing you never have to hold yourself up on the wheel.

On the topic of 4 vs 5 point harnesses I dont have experience, but from talking with racers, a 4 point can actually be dangrous because in a head on collisiion you will "submarine" in the harness/seat and  then your screwed, but with a 5 point "connected properly"!!!!!!!! you cant do that... might crush your nuts... but cant submarine out of the harness

my  5th point is connected about 5 inches behind the front of the seat, this is good... but not great. the best is to have a hole in the seat with your 5th pioint so you cant move anywhere, but tightened and connected behind the rest of the driver will help. 

The 5th also helps to keep the rest of the harness in place. on a 4point as you tighten the shoulders it pulls the lap belt up. but with a 5th it holds the lap down..that way eveyrhting gets tight and it sinches you down in to the seat