L18 motors

jimmy billy

Ok im new to the datsuns. I just got my first 72 4dr and love it. But it has no motor. The 4speed tranny is their and prity much everything else. Now it used to have a 1.6 in it and was swaped to a L18 then pulled before i got it. So i heard that i can get a motor from 60's datsun trucks up to 90's. My question is what modle of L18 will bolt up to my tranny and run carb from the 90's??? Theirs lots in the recker of those years.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so it mite not be a L but my budy who is big into the 510's sead something about a certien motor that would work but it has to be the right one. Im guessing it would be in a nissan.

L motors will be the only ones that bolt right up. Plenty of other Nissan engines have been swapped into Datsuns though. Youve given us nothing to work with on giving you an answer to your vague question. 

If your buddy is "big time into Datsuns" then just ask him what engine hes talking about and go get it. 

Yes you need to do a lot more reading and research, but you came to the right place for that.

Ok im new to the datsuns. I just got my first 72 4dr and love it. But it has no motor. The 4speed tranny is their and prity much everything else. Now it used to have a 1.6 in it and was swaped to a L18 then pulled before i got it. So i heard that i can get a motor from 60's datsun trucks up to 90's. My question is what modle of L18 will bolt up to my tranny and run carb from the 90's??? Theirs lots in the recker of those years.

The L series motors... L16. L18 or L20B will pretty much just bolt in and will work with your transmission. If you are new to this an L20B is a good motor to start with and will cost the same to rebuild as an L16/18. This is a great way to learn about them. The last ones were used in the '80 720 truck. This will likely be the best way to get started and has the best chance of getting done successfully. $1,500 to have one machined and new pistons and bearings. Maybe under a thousand if you do the work. This is in addition to finding a rebuildable motor.

Any other motor will need the transmission with it and will likely be fuel injection. Lots of electronics and sensors. Drive shaft and transmission mount will need mods and welding. Motor mounts, fuel pump, exhaust, rad... lots of stuff but very impressive when done. Much more expensive, lots more work. Newer motors are likely running so you won't have to rebuild them. At least $2,500-$3,500 to do this. Lots of time and extra money and a place to work on it. A welder is an asset.

• Like 1

Cool thanks man. Ive got a welder as cheap as it is i can get a decent bead with it. The header in my car is from a L18 so ill probobly get one of those. Plus i have the diz for it.

And can you put a L16 head on a L18 block and get a better motor that way? I know it works for hondas.

Im debating weather to rat my car out or clean it up. I have fiber glass fenders on the front and one has a good crack on it that needs fixin. Wish i had metal fenders tho. I probobly would have the trim to match whats on the hood.

Does anyone knoe if i cut a couple links out of my s13 springs can i use them with the stock struts???

The 210 L16 head has smaller ports and valves. The combustion chamber is also smaller and  the compression will go through the roof. 

Yes you can cut your springs but it's ill advised to just 'cut a couple of links' out without knowing more of what you are getting into. Likely the S13 springs are too large a diameter to fit up into the 510 strut tower.

• Like 1

Not saying you can't do this.

Maybe someone else can say if the S13 spindle angle is the same as the 10 degree angle on the 510. If it is you can cut the lower spring perches off and swap them and the smaller 510 coil spring onto the S13 strut tubes. BUT ONLY IF the S13 spindle angle is 10 degrees. I did this on my 710. I installed '84 Maxima goon struts by swapping my coil springs onto them.

What does this have to do with L18 motors?

For this question...

Does anyone knoe if i cut a couple links out of my s13 springs can i use them with the stock struts???

But no, S13 struts have more negative camber than 510 struts.

And now we know.

What about port and polish?

And is the L16 exaust manny better then the L18 one thats in my car???

Porting and polishing is for racing where it will make the difference between winning and loosing. For a street engine you won't be driving it where you would notice a difference. If you have a spare head you plan to put on and have the time to fiddle around with this you could port match the intake and exhaust. Perhaps unshroud around the valves but I sure wouldn't pull a head of just to do this.

The L16/18 exhausts are so close to the same not worth worrying about.