How do you remove a 510'a antenna?

Lonestar

Plain a simple, just like the header states. Been trying to figure it out on the goon I have and oh boy let me tell you how well the search feature worked...it didn't...I'm finding posts on crap that is not even relevant to the subject I'm looking for. So after an hour of trying to look for the info to a very simple problem I've come here to ask because somebody has gotta know and I cannot find it if it is hidden here. So, can anyone help me?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a 71 with the fender mount. I don't quite recall how I disconnected it but for sure the antenna is held to the fender with a thread on lock ring. I'm pretty sure I held pressure on it by pulling up on it while unscrewing the antenna, lefty loosey. On the inside just unplug it and pass it through. Once again, don't remember if the cord unplugs at the antenna end, think its hardwired and just feeds through from the inside. Hope that helps, good luck.

I think you might be able to reach the lockring through the firewall where the electrical passes through, that might be how I undid it. 

I think this is a '69. Yours will be over closer to the wiper arm? '70s were moved to the pillar.

DSC08366small-e1344649347737.jpg

The '68 is on the cowl mounted beside the pass side wiper arm. Remove the wiper arms. Loosen and lift cowl to get at the antenna base? Have a care as the antenna lead in wire is connected and also the windshield washer squirters hoses.

If there's any bottom access to be had, it looks to only be reachable from near the edge of the hood? 

a1dc_3.jpg

I want to say on my '68 2dr, I took the nut off the top, pushed the antenna down slightly, and there were two swiveling "hooks" that have to be turned vertical (they normally sit horizontal), then it slides up out of the top. 

Very possibly. I remember the old car antennas were as you described. You couldn't get at the underside and the assy went down in the hole and 'barbs' would fold out and hold the underside of the hole so you could tighten the top nut down.