New member from Bakersfield

Hello everyone!

My name is Laurence, and I live in Bakersfield, CA. I found this forum through Martin (FuelRags) recently as I've been looking for a 620 for myself. By the way, this is not an easy forum to happen across; oh well. I'm super happy to have found it however. Everyone looks to be really enthusiastic and very helpful.

I finally found a truck, that meets most of my criteria, about 150 miles to the west after looking for almost two years. I've always loved these truck bodies and Ive had a rebuilt l20 sitting in my garage for even longer. Im no stranger to older japanese cars and definately appreciate the nominal costs needed to own them.

Here is a couple pictures of my truck and car project.

This is the picture from the craigslist ad I purchased my truck from:

Copy_of_DSC_0004.jpg

And my Corolla race car project:

814043_22_full.jpg

Anyways, I look forward to getting to know everyone, and keeping you updated with the progress of my heap.

Laurence

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Laurence

Nice looking truck what plans do you have for it, stock or rod it?

Ah Bakersfield I remember traveling down there for a few years to spend time with my at the time girlfriend now present wife because she was a traveling nurse, man what a drive from the bay area, I must have done that 4 hour one way drive every other weekend for about 2 years, I sure don't miss the place as it gets damn hot there- 110 in the shade?

That truck looks pretty str8. Is that original paint? What are your plans?

Oh yeah......MORE PICS PLEASE!:D

As I understand it, this truck had been "frame-up'd" atleast once. I wouldnt say it was a quality restoration, but I do believe the first ownerd loved this truck quite a bit. Theres evidence of teaking in the bed, and lots of stainless allen head bolts throughout as well. I'm pretty sure there some bondo here and there, along with some cancer areas (top of cab, bottom of drivers door, edges of hood...) but in all I think it's well within my amateur body work skills.

I havent taken any pics of the truck yet at my house, but hope to tomorrow after giving the little guy a good scrub and wash.

I am truthfully very excited about this project.

Welcome:)!

Truck Looks good:)! Definately more pictures:D!

Thanks for the kind words. I think the truck does look a bit better in person, but theres plenty of work to be done to get this thing straight enough for a decent paint job.

Welcome Laurence

Nice looking truck what plans do you have for it, stock or rod it?

Great question! My minitruckin days are pretty much behind me now but I would still like to add some custom touches to it. There is so much material on this website that can be used for inspiration, it's almost dizzying. I would like to clean up and emphasize the lines. I'd like to lose some inches in its stance, but still retain its utility. Install some clean looking wheels, but probably not bigger then 16". I would really like to tune the suspension. Interior simple, maybe a modern take on a stock finish. As for the engine, the reason I love four bangers is their fuel conservation ability. I do have a slightly warmed over L20 to be installed later in the year, but would like to be conservative with fuel delivery. Maybe in a couple years find a nice FI truck engine for it that can be retuned on the fly to get the best of both performance and fuel conservation.

I hopefully wont be posting many technical questions very soon as I will be delving into the forums here to try to educate my self on these trucks and motors. I have a pretty good understanding of the older Toyota engines, and recently Subaru boxers, but I have no prior experience with Datsuns, so this should be fun:)

Ah Bakersfield I remember traveling down there for a few years to spend time with my at the time girlfriend now present wife because she was a traveling nurse, man what a drive from the bay area, I must have done that 4 hour one way drive every other weekend for about 2 years, I sure don't miss the place as it gets damn hot there- 110 in the shade?

Even with our recent heat waves we've been fortunate that it hasn

welcome you came to the right place lol i like your yota project it has similar lines to the 86 but i like the front end better

Thanks for the welcome and the compliment on my TE. I love the car, but it's a slug. And unfortunately, because I live in CA, I cant do anything fun with the motor. So, hopefully I will be installing a 2RZ soon, doubling the cars original HP, still be smog legal by retaining the RZ's smog crap, and have the ability tune the fuel injection for track days. I like my car better than the eight-six's body as well. Incidently, it's the 86's DADDY:D

i know that feeling im dealing with the same thing with my 610 ins a 76 :mad: why couldnt the smog year be 76 not 75 the thing was even made in 75 :mellow:

Yeah, thats boneriffic. And why is it the "random" test-only selection always selects my old cars?

I considered many, many options to solve the smog cert problem, from selling the car to getting it certified as an alternative fuel vehicle. The smog legal motor swap was the only thing I could come up with. Plus, getting away with mods on FI motors is way easier then doing so on a pushrod carbed car like mine. So FI it is!

PDX is pretty nice, smog and mods are a lot less monitered compaired to CA to. i live about 30mi south of portland and smog isnt even required in my area lol thank god because my 240z would never pass with my mods :lol:

im not sure if theres any datsun truck clubs but there is the Datsuns NorthWest club

I love the culture and chracter of the area. The beautiful views arent bad either.