Anyone have a company or know of one that might be interested in sponsoring a collegiate racing team?

If any mods find this post inappropriate please just let me know and delete it or move it to wherever you feel appropriate. I know we don't like spam on this forum but I am not a bot, I am a real datto-head (and have been contributing here for a few years now) who needs some help and the Ratsun community may be able to help out. Worst case scenario you guys at least get to look at some pretty oics of some student built racecars.

I am currently working as a member of the Oregon Institute of Technology FSAE Racing team based in Klamath Falls, Oregon. Due to what we can only assume to be Oregon Tech funding issues our expected budget was cut by 75% (cut by 66% from last year's build) and we are in need of more sponsorship than ever before. If anyone owns a small business or works for a company, especially (but not exclusively) one located in the pacific northwest and might be interested in sponsoring our school's team contact me via PM or email at jgong9609@gmail.com.

We build an open wheel race car from scratch to a very specific set of rules to compete in the Formula SAE competition against other schools along with local events all around Oregon and parts of Washington. The cars are like scaled down Formula 1 cars. Our final destination as a team is the year end competition where 100 teams from around the world meet to go head to head in both performance tests as well as against a panel of judges who analyze our build ideas, knowledge of our product and overall concept realization. At this competition are both small teams and teams with large budgets and years of development. Our car last year achieved: 16th Overall, 7th in Design, 4th in Autocross, and 7th in Endurance.

Here are some pictures of the car we built last year. Hopefully ya'll at least enjoy looking at it and get a sense of how serious we are (not just a couple college kids messing around). All composites are hand laid by us (some parts are carbon fiber, others fiberglass) and we build basically everything on the car! This includes the ECU, the differential, suspension (we use production shocks/springs), we even make the steering wheel and seats in house!

DSC_1275_zps075805df.jpg

DSC_1254_zps76bdd099.jpg

DSC_1351_zps5ec9985b.jpg

DSC_1375_zps824684a3.jpg

this one shows the progression between last year's car (2013) and one from a few years back (2011)

DSC_1404_zps4b53cb6e.jpg

This year we have a few major updates in the plans including a drag reduction system (similar to that of Formula 1 cars), carbon fiber wheel barrels and an LCD display in the cockpit to display most engine paramaters while driving. None of this will happen if we can't find a way to raise enough money. Basically if you own/run a company or know someone that does that MAY be able to help in any way please contact me for more information. I can give you many more sponsor specific details privately as this thread is already longer than I wanted it to be. Hopefully I posted enough oics to compensate for the text/serious businessey stuff :D

If you want to learn more about the Formula SAE series, click the link below:

http://students.sae.org/cds/formulaseries/about.htm

you can check our website out at:

http://www.oitracing.com

or our facebook page which gets updated more often (if you like what you see give us a like, even exposure can help us out):

www.facebook.com/oitracing

Thanks guys, sorry for the interruption, now back to your regularly scheduled datto fun :P

-Fiveseventy

• Like 1
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been a volunteer at the FSAE event at AAA Speedway in Fontana. I have to say it was always a blast seeing the young guys building and driving the hand built cars. I did timing and scoring for quite a few years. A good friend of mine is alumni from Cal Poly Pomona.  

I own a machine shop here in So Cal. I don't have money at the moment,  :mad:  But if there is something you need machined let me know I might be able to help.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I have been a volunteer at the FSAE event at AAA Speedway in Fontana. I have to say it was always a blast seeing the young guys building and driving the hand built cars. I did timing and scoring for quite a few years. A good friend of mine is alumni from Cal Poly Pomona.  

I own a machine shop here in So Cal. I don't have money at the moment,  :mad:  But if there is something you need machined let me know I might be able to help.

Free or minimum cost machining in return for a vinyl sticker on the spoiler sounds like a mutually beneficial arrangement to me.  Good luck, hope this works out.  Let the students do the design work, arrange a "design and manufacturability review" so they get a touch of the real world, and you will do the future of domestic design and manufacturing a REAL favor.

Let the students do the design work, arrange a "design and manufacturability review" so they get a touch of the real world, and you will do the future of domestic design and manufacturing a REAL favor.

Thats actually what we do. We design and build the entire car from scratch and mostly in house. We do all the machining, carbon fiber, frame building and electronics in house. Then we have to present our project as a proposal to the judges as a potentially profitable weekend track car (think ariel atom, ktm xbow). Its a practice in project management first and engineering second. At least for the teams that score well.

Thanks for the responses guys. Any other help is much appreciated!