5 speed Dogleg issues

Docsis510

I have a 510 with an l-18 motor.. the car had a 4speed transmission in it.. I swapped the tranny for a 5speed dogleg. I used the mount and crossmember from the 4speed tranny.. the dogleg seems to be pushed up against the tunnel and way forward having to cut some of the tunnel so the shifter eould move freely. .. my question is when installing a dogleg do people use a different mount and crossmember or do I have a tall short dogleg.. tranny says 63#1 and 63#2

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be 26" long and I'm sure it is. If a long (very rare) dogleg the shifter would be about 5" to the rear. The stock 510 mount will be forward of the dogleg mount so yes the dogleg will be forced forward to fit. Not a good idea and this will also conflict with the motor placement. The dogleg shifter should fit the stock hole location.

This is how much a 521 mount must be trimmed and welded to move the mount to the rear to fit a dogleg. This is NOT for a 510. Only to show roughly how much the difference in location is. The 521 uses basically the same 4 speed as the 510.

F4W63toFS5W71Btransmount.jpg

Should say 63A on the pass side tail near the reverse light switch. #2 or #3 is just a casting revision.
FS5W63doglegID002-1.jpg

I messured the dogleg and it its 26" long.. the only difference is that the holes from the 4speed are 19 1/2 inched measuring from front of the tranny back... the holes from the dog leg are 21".. so theres a 1 1/2 inch difference on the tranny mount placement... even reversing the crossmber pulls everything forward... ill put the 3/4" spacer and see if that helps.. I might just redrill holes on the crossmember. ..

I think the VG30.com crossmembers are slotted to work with doglegs. I think he still charges $75 for em.

I have the same issue with my swap and just purchased the crossmember from techno toy tuning for $68. The vg ones are difficult to come by and T3 has them in stock.