PL521-Z Old Skool Rat- Photoshop art!

Well I just had to see what this would look like, so I dug into photoshop!

So I stuck an L28 in there (technically the intake/exhaust would be on the other side, but I wanted to see those pipes!).

I had to move back the cab quite a bit to fit the extra 2 cylinders. But the wheelbase is stock. Moving back the cab looks better for this sort of thing anyway.

I stuck my hand up inside my fender to feel what the cowl would look like, and took some measurements so it wouldn't be too far off.

Put the 30's style bed on there, and 35 chevy artillery wheels on there too. (Which would fit!) A random radiator shroud from the same era. And them slammed it!

Oh and the pipes are from a Suzuki Motorcycle!

I don't know how good this would look from the front, but I dig it from the side!

Ratsun521Zrat.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool idea, just don't let it get out of hand and end up giving up on the old girl...

No worries there I don't have the skills to pull this off for real. Just virtually!

I'm thinking ....chop the roof off and the the top 3" of window...or even the whole window...then put posts on and a flat glass windshield. The bed would be the harder part. Anything that could be used as a donor is going to be too big and will have to get cut down. Easier to flat bed??

THANKS GUYS!

I'd love to take a 521 grill (or two) cut it and rotate it 90 degrees and fit it in a 40's radiator shroud to make the grill for this thing. Could reuse the quad headlights and rotate them 90 too.(sounds like I need to dig back into p-shop) The more Datto in there the better!

Jeff if I had you on this side of the country, we'd have to give it a go!

Mike, I wonder if one of those chevy luv step side bed conversions from the 70's would fit. You know, just take off the fenders?

I know way more about visuals than I do practicality, but I see the hardest things to do being:

#1 Fitting that l28 in there! Would motor mounts have to be moved? What would that do to torsions, trans mounts, etc. Oil pan clerance issues??

#2 Moving the cab back. I'd hope you can just take the cab off, fit the engine, relocate the cab mounts back, and rebolt er down, but I don't know.

Oh and we'd have to extend the steering column. Or even better, find a way to fit 240z steering!

Of course then all the brakelines have to be redone. Extend/hide the wiring that use to be on the fender wells. But that stuff is a breeze for my ratsun brethren.

Alas I am rather isolated in new england, no welder or skills and know no one who I could tag team this with. And know only one other 521 owner in a three state area, that is what a wasteland the N. east is.

But y'all are everywhere in the west, gotta be some 521's in the bone yard, easy to source an l-28, what the hell, go for it! You could prolly do almost the whole project with a couple scrap yard visits and very little cash! (love to see it done on a 320 too! It'd prolly look even better! But make sure it is a pretty dead one before you hack it up!)

I bet, if done right, this would get a feature in Minitruckin in a snap!

Wow... Fisch, that's awesome. I think your pictures are starting to make me jealous...

The steering would definately have to be modified, but it might work with just extending the tube and modifying some mounting brackets. And, as far as slamming it goes, an airbag setup like hacked (I think...) has would be perfect... The modified stock grille and dual headlight setup sounds good too... all you'd need is a custom-made case for the headlight buckets. Looks like a great idea. If I wasn't in the middle of my project I'd use my parts truck for that...