Disc Brakes With Stock 14" Steel Wheels

RickB

Hi all,

1973-Datsun-620-50.jpg

As some of you may know, I've been trying to upgrade and restore my 73 620 over the past yer. New carb, new rubber in the doors, replaced interior trim bits and pieces etc etc.

On my quest to make my 620 a little more LA freeway friendly, I replaced the drum brakes on the front with dsic brakes. I bought an admitedly expensive ($500) disc brake kit from Datsun Parts LLC and it wasn't until I went to put my wheels back on did I realise that my original 14" steel wheels do not fit over the rotors and caliper:

Rotors: 2002 Honda passport, 2001-2004 Isuzu Rodeo, 2002-2003 Rodeo sport
Calipers:  1988-1997 D21 (Hardbody) calipers for 4wd, 2.4L

This lead me down the path of trying to modify my steelies. I had Bolton's take the centers out and put them in a 15" rim. That didn't work (they destroyed one of my wheels trying). The made me some 14" Ralley's instead. $400 odd later they're not at all what I want. Wheel Vintiques make a 6-lug 'smootie' but it's too 'hot rod' for my tastes, not to mention $1200.

The original drums where scary, shuddered at highway speeds and pulled to the right terrible. So, how can I run my stock 14" wheels with disc brakes? Is their another kit or option?

If price wasn't an option, what would you do to run the stock 14" steelies with disc brakes?

Thanks,
Rick.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the '78-'79 620 had discs and 'larger' 14" rims, but I don't know if they will clear your caliper combination. The 720 had larger 14" rims with their larger calipers after '82 and they also had a nifty looking mag option. And of course the D-21 and pathfinder rims should work, but check the fit of the center holes.

Chevy/Ford/Toyota/Mazda/Trooper all have the same 6 bolt pattern. So theree shood be oodles of after market ones, 14" and 15"

Thanks for the speedy replies guys.

K_Trip: I called Wheel Vintiques as was surpirsed they didn't have a showroom I could see their range nor would they make me rims. No idea how you got them to custom make you a set. They said the Smoothie is the only 6-lug wheel they make that is in that original style. I think the OE Ford/Chevy wheel they make is very similar to the stock Datsun wheel, except they only make it in a 5-lug and it won't take the stock Datsun hub cap, something I think is crucial to the look.

Mike: I found some photos of the '78 620 steel wheels. They're similar but with some extra 'vents', I do wonder if they'd fit and if a set could be found? The 720 wheels are much too 'truck' for my tastes.

I've got some things to think about, thanks.

Rick.

I emailed BlueHands a couple months ago.

He said he was busy with other life stuff, but was working on a new version of the 620 kit.

I'm impatient so I'm going with Beebani ball joint upper arms and late model 78-79 620 disc and lower arm conversion.

I bought beebani arms at $200

Found 620 lower arms, ball joints, rotor, hubs etc (just the whole front brake and suspension minus the UCAs) for $100 (most of it needs replacing)

Then ordered new;

Control arm bushings

Radius arm bushings

Ball joints

Wheel bearings

Wheel seals

Pads

Rotors

Calipers

1 brake line (the other is new)

Master cylinder

Forgot to grab the upper arm spindle/pivot dog bones and had to pay $100 to get some (quickly anyway)

I'm waiting for enough free time to get all the used stuff cleaned and painted or powder coated then Installed.

Hoping it's soon, my kingpins are getting kind of clunky over bumps when braking.

I went this route for speed, mostly factory parts from the same model truck and the ball joints.

It's getting expensive, partly because I'm rushing it and partly to get it all done right and new. I'm hoping my 14"s will fit this way but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe with BlueHands spacers...

I'm right up the road from you, in Eagle Rock, if you'd like to see the kit I've put together for myself.

Otherwise I'll be posting pics and details in my build thread.

GRpufnstuf,

This is fantastic information to, thank you. I've reached out to Mike and Bee, I'll see what they suggest.

Admittedly I don't know much about the underneath of these trucks, so anything that comes in kit form is very helpful. So I may just take you up on your offer to check your parts collection out if it comes to that.

I'll let you know what I hear back from the guys.

Rick.

With the control arm(ball joint) mod, you'll want to use either 620 disc spindles, early 720(just like 620 brakes) or late 720(just like HB) spindles.  The middle years of the 720 will require an 1/8" wheel spacer to run stock rims.  My current kit(out of stock)(hopefully in by end of year) used the 720 rotors and the top hat is a bit short, hence the clearance issue.  The HB rotors have a taller top hat, so the caliper is inboard more, allowing clearance.