510 wagon

Hey guys, I'm about to buy a 510 goon (dream car). I'm getting it for a decent price (2,300) and it hasn't been messed around with at all. It's stock and clean, the problem I'm having is its in MO and I live in PA, I don't really have a chance to check it out in person but I'd be getting it shipped up here.. What should I do to avoid being scammed.. This may be my only chance to buy one and the seller has a 100% rep on eBay. I've been texting him for about two weeks and it seems legit.. Just your thoughts on what I should do.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I way that listed on CL (I think) for $3000 some time last week, but I'm not surprised he didn't get any takers.  Not too many Datsun fans in these parts.  Looks pretty legit too me but what do I know?  He does have it listed as FWD so I hope the buyer got to see any under the hood photo :angel:

I found a 79 210 goon with 5 speed over in Tulsa but the girl refused the sale when her sister needed it.  Damn.

It looks like a little more damage than just a new hatch and bumper. I remember that car being on Ratsun. There was a pic with some creepy dude lurking in the back ground.

Ask for more pictures. If selling he should be willing to provide them.

You're in PA? hmmm the parts to get it looking good are going to be very hard to find and shipping them a killer. Best to keep looking for a more complete example. Maybe save up and get a runner you can drive home with. Twice that amount should get you a KA 5 spd 510.

JN, how long have you been looking?  This kind of hunt takes time.  You are 17, so I'm assuming two things.  1.  You have not been looking for years.   2.  You don't have enough body work experience to make an informed decision purchasing this car.  With this in mind, enthusiasm and time can make all of the difference in the world.  You can fix this car, and it is a great car to own and learn on.  It is also a perfect car to totally turn you off of fixing cars, as this damage could be broader than it looks.  Little things, like rear wheel alignment that can be thrown when the driver is stepping on the brake when the car was rear ended.  The rear floor being bent, causing the rear seal to not close, causing water and exhaust to get into the car, leading to rust and exhaust fumes filling the car while -10 degrees outside.  I'd say, if you have a space to work on this car, and an enthusiastic father, and care more about working on a car than actually having a car, get it.  Else, take Mikes advise and look for a car without collision damage.  Then go pay for the car in person.  None of this send money wait for car in the mail crap.  

Ask yourself why there are no pictures of the tailgate open.  He knows this will be any buyers first question.  If the answer helped him sell the car, he would have listed it.  

Sorry seller.   

JN, how long have you been looking?  This kind of hunt takes time.  You are 17, so I'm assuming two things.  1.  You have not been looking for years.   2.  You don't have enough body work experience to make an informed decision purchasing this car.  With this in mind, enthusiasm and time can make all of the difference in the world.  You can fix this car, and it is a great car to own and learn on.  It is also a perfect car to totally turn you off of fixing cars, as this damage could be broader than it looks.  Little things, like rear wheel alignment that can be thrown when the driver is stepping on the brake when the car was rear ended.  The rear floor being bent, causing the rear seal to not close, causing water and exhaust to get into the car, leading to rust and exhaust fumes filling the car while -10 degrees outside.  I'd say, if you have a space to work on this car, and an enthusiastic father, and care more about working on a car than actually having a car, get it.  Else, take Mikes advise and look for a car without collision damage.  Then go pay for the car in person.  None of this send money wait for car in the mail crap.  

Ask yourself why there are no pictures of the tailgate open.  He knows this will be any buyers first question.  If the answer helped him sell the car, he would have listed it.  

Sorry seller.

You've assumed a lot of things..

1. I've been looking for one since I was 14..

2. My brother and I restored a 67 mustang, replacing the floor pans on both sides, replacing the cal vents (the hardest thing they say to replace on them) replaced the doors, replaced the hood, replaced the glass, sanded down the entire car and did the body work on it including bondoing the small dents and evening all that out. Rebuilt the carb, redid the drum brakes.

3. I' already have owned 2 cars, both being BMW E30's, I bought the first one for 1,500.. Sold it for 2,300. Bought the second for 2,000, sold it for 4,000. All by just doing minor body work, engine and Intior things

4. Don't have a dad to help me so I did all this on my own.

5. I've only posted this to get people's thoughts, I never said I was going to buy this. I realized it was hit In the rear, if the car drives straight and the frame isn't bent then its all body work. I can do that stuff myself.

You've assumed a lot of things..

1. I've been looking for one since I was 14..

2. My brother and I restored a 67 mustang, replacing the floor pans on both sides, replacing the cal vents (the hardest thing they say to replace on them) replaced the doors, replaced the hood, replaced the glass, sanded down the entire car and did the body work on it including bondoing the small dents and evening all that out. Rebuilt the carb, redid the drum brakes.

3. I' already have owned 2 cars, both being BMW E30's, I bought the first one for 1,500.. Sold it for 2,300. Bought the second for 2,000, sold it for 4,000. All by just doing minor body work, engine and Intior things

4. Don't have a dad to help me so I did all this on my own.

5. I've only posted this to get people's thoughts, I never said I was going to buy this. I realized it was hit In the rear, if the car drives straight and the frame isn't bent then its all body work. I can do that stuff myself.

This is why is laid out my assumptions.  Every once and a while a guy like you breaks the norm.  Sounds like you know what you are getting into, and can handle any reality.  DO IT!  Save a Datsun!

This is why is laid out my assumptions.  Every once and a while a guy like you breaks the norm.  Sounds like you know what you are getting into, and can handle any reality.  DO IT!  Save a Datsun!

I've been a car guy since i was little and I remember the first time a saw a Datsun.. It was a 240z and I fell in love with Datsuns ever since. As soon as my car sells the wagon is mine