any tips for a head & gasket replace on a 84 ?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the point Stoffregen was trying to make is, if the hole was caused by a lean condition, (visualize blowtorch) what's to stop it from doing it again? Cause and effect.

BTW,I cant see shit either.

Replace the head, repair isn't worth it. Hard to be lean in only one cylinder... cause is likely a tight valve that was never adjusted that burnt.

I think the point Stoffregen was trying to make is, if the hole was caused by a lean condition, (visualize blowtorch) what's to stop it from doing it again? Cause and effect.

BTW,I cant see shit either.

Replace the head, repair isn't worth it. Hard to be lean in only one cylinder... cause is likely a tight valve that was never adjusted that burnt.

Exactly. Assume it blew up for a reason and fix that reason, be aware of that reason's potential for causing problems, otherwise you'll be in the same situation before long.

So adjust valves correctly and rebuild carb?

Double check your method of valve adjustment (like at the tip of the rocker and not at the cam). Check them at every oil change until you have verified that they don't move. And check simple things like your fuel filter, make sure you're running the right plugs, and definitely drop your oil pan to clean out all that mess.

U know it may be coincidence but the guy at auto zone told me the intake / exhaust plugs were bolth same and he gave me all 8 of the same part number i wonder if he was wrong bkuz thats when it started acting up

Different plugs...

NGKs

Intake.......BPR6ES

Exhaust....BRP5ES

So should i rebuild this carb get a weber or is a 2 to 4bbl adapter possible on this like other 4cyls?

Buy a new Weber 38/38 kit for the Z24

Comes with an air filter assembly and intake/carb adapter plates etc.....

Valves especially the exhaust get very hot. The only time they can cool is when they are closed and in direct contact with the valve seat. If you do not have proper valve clearance the valve may not close, it over heats and the exhaust 'burns' a path past them and the seat. Now the compression goes down on that cylinder, it doesn't fire properly and all kinds of things can go wrong. The valve seat can even fall out.

I'm going to clarify what Mike said. Adjust the valves on a hot motor. Hot = anything over 100 degrees F. And that's .013" at the valve, not the cam.

NEVER torque the head bolts hot. A- they stretch when hot so the torque value would not be the same. B- they can break very easily when hot. C- you can pull threads out of the block when hot.

I always recommend a cold valve adjustment on an L series. Why hot on a NAPS Z motor, Mike?