Instead of clear coating, does anyone put ...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rust.

I used a product called Penetrol. I've read that it's supposed to protect patina or halt rusting. I didn't have the money to clear coat my old truck, so I put this stuff on there. It's part linseed oil. People use it on rusty farm equipment and cars too (from what I've gathered).

Some doodmans with a split window VW breadbox said that it lasts 6 months.

I believe that paint works the best to preserve your truck, at least that is what I used.

I will agree that paint will cover up the patina, but there is a point when you have to decide if your going to save it, or let it rust away.

I have a 47/50, I just decided to paint it and not have to worry about it anymore, but I also did not have a patina either

lol mike im surprised youre hip enough to know that song :)

i got my inspiration from the bare metal rods as well as the bare metal (aluminum, i know) WW2/etc planes. 

clear coat does not readily adhere to bare metal, rust will eventually creep in. 

as well as the fact that you have to ensure you get UV resistant clear. 

ive also read about people using wd40, motor oil, linseed oil....

and i almost sourced me some penetrol but i didnt like the idea of using oil, because if i ever wanted to wash the

dirt/bird shit/etc off the truck id be washing away the oil and would have to reapply etc.

after more research, i came across a lacquer called permalac that bronze/brass/copper statue makers apply to their

statues to protect again, atmosphere & salt corrosion, as well as its UV resistant. 

normal_IMG_8619.jpg

normal_IMG_8620.jpg

normal_IMG_8621.jpg

it comes in a spray can, pint, or gallon. you can spray paint it, spray gun it, or brush/roll on. 

i obviously suck at painting (brushing on) for you can see streaks. perhaps thinning it couldve helped?

im going to redo it, roll it on next time. 

permalac comes in satin (semi gloss?) and matte. 

i had initially bought the gloss, because i thought the matte would dull it too much... 

but once i got done strip discing my truck, the damn metal was soo shiny is was blinding! 

not wanting to blind my fellow drivers from sun/headlight glare, i went and got the matte finish and it definitely 

dulled the appearance. i used 2 (what i thought was) light coats. 

you can permalac bare, clean/polished metal and it will preserve it,

OR you can coat rusted/patina'ed metal and it will preserve that rust/patina, yet not let anymore 'grow.' 

said to be good for months and on some occasions, years. if that interests you, please do a google search.

pint was approx $35