replacing cardboard door panel w/ metal. what thickness?

Dawa

howdy guys. so ive been thinkin of doin this for a while and im finally gettin it done. 

im going to replace the stock vinyl wrapped cardboard door panels with Brass sheet. 

my question is, what thickness should i go? 

stock panels are approx 1/8" thick,

but it would be way to thick/heavy/$$ to use 1/8" thick brass. 

i need the sheet to not be too thick/heavy/$$ but at the same time i dont want it too thin.

i need it to be somewhat durable to regular abuse and not get dented too easily. 

also i need it to be thin enough that i can put something behind it for noise suppression and 

anti metal to metal contact. i have some lobuc rod closed cell foam left over, that might be too thick

but i might be able to squish it down. if not, ill use dynamat style stuff. 

i asked the guy at the metal supply place and he suggested 

the guy at the metal supply place suggested .04" stuff because he says that what race cars use for aluminum

panels. 

i gotta say that .04" seemed pretty good, the next one down was .032" which seemed to flimsy and of course im

trying to avoid going bigger because its thick/heavy/$+ 

buuut anyways, those of you who've done this before please chime in what youve used/seen used, etc etc.

thanks 

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

strictly for the look :) 

im going to eventually have brass accents throughout the truck. 

gonna brass plate the front bumper, valve cover, outer door handles, 

gas door, rear light housings, (Custom) rear bumper

it all started when i saw a few ratsuners with their brass radiators ♥

disclaimer: a 2'x4' .40" sheet is approx $60, approx 10lbs. 

10lbs isnt so much, plus after it gets cut/trimmed itll weigh less plus ill have left over brass pieces

i had originally wanted to just recover the stock panels with black vinyl (even bought the vinyl, more

than a year ago) but have changed it up

Think about all the finger and hand prints all over it... ever see the ETs polishing the bell on the quarterdeck? Thats going to be you... spending hours with little Neverdull fluffs all over the ground trying to keep it nice. 

i was i am a torpedoman, remember? 

all 4 of our locking rings had to be beautiful. 

mike, i know youre not against it, i just thought you would have insight/measurements/etc

and to qualm all worries, it will be specially coated to prevent tarnish/ fingerprints/etc :)

Its your Time Dawa, and if done like you want would probbally look good.  Trying to see it in my mind right now and some pics when done might help.  When did you come off your vacation?  Hey those wheels you got for Mr. Bigtanker for his 521,  what are those?  Them are bad ass!!

Its your Time Dawa, and if done like you want would probbally look good.  Trying to see it in my mind right now and some pics when done might help.  When did you come off your vacation?  Hey those wheels you got for Mr. Bigtanker for his 521,  what are those?  Them are bad ass!!

i came back monday. just been working on this damn truck of mine. yeah his wheels came out pretty freakin awesome. 

thing is, a lot of the wheels i get off the japanese auctions dont have manufacturer names in the title/description, like

those 6 spokes. those didnt even have a manufacturer stamp/sticker/etc on the back. 

i found a few threads on the googles about other rodders using .040" aluminum panels so i guess im settling on those, 

with photos to come :)

You might take a look at this:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/interior-s30/46444-anyone-want-new-door-cores-made-out-fiberglass-vinyl-kits.html

But,, IMO. I HATE the metal panels. The rattles, omg the rattles then there's the rattles, did I mention the rattles? Fuck it, use granite!

You might contact these homo's to see if they make any:

http://dashskin.com/product/category&path=64_73

And of course Ermish makes aluminum ones.