Weber 40 intake?

Agent-Gambit

Hi guys I'm currently in search for a weber 40 to put in my 510 and I'm curious to know what kind of intake would I need? Would the 32/36 weber intake manifold work? Reason I'm choosing the weber 40 over the 32/36 is cause I don't think I would feel enough of a power increase by getting a 32/36 weber, I might be wrong? I currently have a stock carb.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weber 40 is a side draft (except some very rare down drafts I've seen one of) so NO your 32/36 manifold won't work.

You can get an outlaw 38/38 which will be a nice increase. But only if your motor needs it.

L16? L18? L20? Stock cam, head? etc.

Oh I see, thanks I'll check the 38/38 and I always forget to put I have an l20 with an a87 head and just went back to a stock cam

Is it an open or closed chamber A87? You might like a single side draft DCOE 40 over a 38/38, but it will cost more money and be a little harder to find a manifold for a single side draft.

A set of SU's would be sufficient and easy to find. Just post a classifieds add. SU's are bolt on with manifolds readily available. 

I have the Weber 38 DGES on my L20B with peanut W58 head.  I love it.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say with an A87 head, you'd be better off with the 32/36.

The A87 has small intake ports compared to the W58 or U67.  Without the larger ports, and in combination with the w58 intake, which has the larger intake runners, you won't get the same benifit out of the 38 DGES as my L20B did....

But if want to try, I'd say just pick up the 38 DGES and do one of two things;  either bolt it on with the adapter kit it comes with, or pick up the w58 intake and port match the A87 head....

That's my 2 cents.

Here is my install:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/56764-i-love-my-weber-38-dges-heres-my-38-dges-install/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When given the choice of single side draft versus down draft carbs on a stockish motor, I would choose the down draft every time. I will lump together the single side draft and the dual SU's for sake of comparison.

The reason I would use the DGV on a stock or slightly stock manifold is because there is no plenum on a single side draft (or dual SU) maniflod. The shared plenum means that at any given time, one cylinder sees all of the carburetor. In a single side draft manifold, two cylinders share one barrel, essentially splitting the carb in two. There are a few varieties of side draft manifold like the Canon, the Lynx and neither of them work that well on an L series motor.

The shared open plenum also helps the fuel atomize better.

I haven't heard any positve feedback about using the single Weber side draft. 

It looks like http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/  stopped selling side drafts for the Datsun all together.

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/category_s/99.htm  still lists single and dual side drafts for sale.

I have the Weber 38 DGES on my L20B with peanut W58 head.  I love it.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say with an A87 head, you'd be better off with the 32/36.

The A87 has small intake ports compared to the W58 or U67.  Without the larger ports, and in combination with the w58 intake, which has the larger intake runners, you won't get the same benifit out of the 38 DGES as my L20B did....

But if want to try, I'd say just pick up the 38 DGES and do one of two things;  either bolt it on with the adapter kit it comes with, or pick up the w58 intake and port match the A87 head....

That's my 2 cents.

Here is my install:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/56764-i-love-my-weber-38-dges-heres-my-38-dges-install/

Better to have a smaller carb and wish it were larger, than to have a larger carb and wish it were smaller. A too small carb will always be easier to live with (better mileage, drive-ability) than one that is too big for what you need.

Better to have a smaller carb and wish it were larger, than to have a larger carb and wish it were smaller. A too small carb will always be easier to live with (better mileage, drive-ability) than one that is too big for what you need.

True.  Which is what I was trying to say in my over explainitory way... and it appears now, I missed the mark.

But also, it seems when people aren't satisfied with the 32/36, they jump straight up to a dual Weber /Mikuni setup and then they have a lot more troubles.... IDK, But that's why instead of just saying yes or no to these questions I try to lay all the options out there for people to make their own decision....

Thanks for clearing up my jargon.

That's twice today I should have put in a smiley face. Was not calling into question your post only saw the "you'd be better off with the 32/36." and agreed.

Don't worry, I didn't take it that way...  I'm just a bit tired today, so I what I typed was obviously miss-read.  I guess I will just have to save up some pennies and try to make it to Canby or another show one of these times.  If you could speak to me in person, I think you'd see right away that I'm pretty easy going... And I know, I do make mistakes, and hopefully I'm the first person to admit it!!  15 years of working on cars and I know I still have a lot to learn!!  :D