Snacks going square????

jrock4224

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I will just switch to the 620 manifold that had round ports and hop it donesnt interfere with any of my high tech shitz going on under the hood...I get what frank is saying that round port head will flow freelyish into a square port exhaust...I would imagine the other way round it gets weird ... but other then some turbulence on the round head to the square port I don't see why it wouldn't work unless it doesn't seal worth a beans ..

so my l 16 that iu pulled out has a square port exhaust manifold .....but my l20 has a round port exhaust.... hmmmmm any thoughts ..... been done or should I clean up the round port manifold and put it on there ....

Your W58 head will work fine into an L16 square port exhaust manifold. Use square port gasket.

It's actually a fallacy that a square port manifold will work fine on a round port head.   True, Square-port head into round port manifold is WORSE, but the 2 types do NOT overlap properly no matter which way you do it:

S_p2190126.jpg

That's what came off my '76 620.  At some point in its past someone stuck a 200SX engine in it with a roundport W58 peanut head.  Kept the original square '76 manifolds.  Notice the carbon fouling on the manifolds?  That's where the round ports of the head line up with the square ports on the manifold.  I will note that it did have the round gasket, which didn't help matters, but it's quite clear the ports aren't exactly lined up.

So, you'll get excessive backpressure, horrendous flow, and the gasket won't live as long.  Going the other way is a lot worse, though- it will burn out the gasket even faster, and the backpressure tends to lead to burnt valves.

• 2 months later...

I need that square port manifold pictured...that has the three bolt lower flange .... that's exactly what I need to make it work good so im looking for a 76 620 manifold I guess..... to get the swaurae ports like my a87 head im now running