Front Tire Scrub

EdwardK

How do I avoid this with bigger meatier rims? (Specifically Frontier rims) I just test fitted my new rims and they rub the... torsion bar I believe; without any tires on them.

What can I do here guys? I'm a little stuck. XD

They fit perfect in the back.

(Also, tried search function, didn't bring up anything other than people comparing rims with each other. :/)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, spacer or an adapter if you want to avoid new studs.

I've used Motorsport-tech / adaptec a few times. They do all kinds of custom work for a good price. The can get pretty skinny on an adapter thats same bolt pattern front and back if you call and ask.

Is it rubbing constantly or just when turning (the steering wheel...)

I take it longer studs would have to be custom or are there any handy kits around? 

Lee R, I'll get some photos after work tomorrow for yah. They're just bigger than what I currently have.

Wish I could get someone who has Frontier rims on their 620 to talk to, see how they did it.

What year 620 are you installing these on?

Frontier wheels fit great on 78/79 620's, But they are the wrong offset to fit correctly(or look correct) on the 73-77 trucks. 

It will take close to a 1" spacer to make up for the positive offset that the wheel has. The width difference of the 73-77 trucks vs. the 78/79 trucks is 1 1/8" per side.

Spacers, I think 10-15mm.

Or if you want to go further out, you'll definitely need longer studs, or spacer adapter.

I'm definitely going to have to get longer studs.

What year 620 are you installing these on?

Frontier wheels fit great on 78/79 620's, But they are the wrong offset to fit correctly(or look correct) on the 73-77 trucks. 

It will take close to a 1" spacer to make up for the positive offset that the wheel has. The width difference of the 73-77 trucks vs. the 78/79 trucks is 1 1/8" per side.

She's a '74, I'm gonna need fender flares it seems.

I'm definitely going to have to get longer studs.

What size tire are you trying to use?

I can't imagine the frontier wheels are so wide that they hit the torsions while being close to the fender lip. Many guys in here use much wider and larger diameter wheels and they tuck up in there fine.

Do you have any pics available?

Also, do a little research about longer studs. They are safe to a point but if you're going with a 1" spacer you'd be better off with a spacer/adapter

Should be no need for flares with any size stock frontier wheel. Still should not need flares after a 1" spacer on a 74 truck.

How about a pic or the specs on the frontier wheels you are trying to use? Most Frontier wheels are only a 15x7 and about a +30 offset

I ran stock 16x7 +40 Xterra wheels on my 620 with the 78/79 track width without a problem.

What size tire are you trying to use?

I can't imagine the frontier wheels are so wide that they hit the torsions while being close to the fender lip. Many guys in here use much wider and larger diameter wheels and they tuck up in there fine.

Do you have any pics available?

Also, do a little research about longer studs. They are safe to a point but if you're going with a 1" spacer you'd be better off with a spacer/adapter

Not sure on the tire yet. The wheels are not close to the fender lip is the problem. That's why they hit the torsion bars.

Still working on pics I've been busier than hell rebuilding my brakes.

The more research I do the more I think I should just sell these wheels and get something different.

Should be no need for flares with any size stock frontier wheel. Still should not need flares after a 1" spacer on a 74 truck.

How about a pic or the specs on the frontier wheels you are trying to use? Most Frontier wheels are only a 15x7 and about a +30 offset

I ran stock 16x7 +40 Xterra wheels on my 620 with the 78/79 track width without a problem.

You're probably right on the fender flares actually.

Maybe I just want fender flares.