Best way to slam a 720?

EstevanR

I have been toying around with the idea of slamming my truck. It is currently lowered three inches, but i still feel the need to go lower. what is the best way to go lower? i have been told about spring perches, and removing leafs, but i was wanting to know if there was a better way other than bagging it.IMG_2839_zps178b5c23.jpgIMG_3425_zpsfbbc3764.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exhaust will rub every bump but eventually this will stop because a raised manhole will rip it off. Problem solved.

By the forth set of tires, the fronts will have worn the fenders away from turning.

The guy fucking your girlfriend loves the idea because he'll hear you three blocks away and have time to finish and jump out the bedroom window.

It will be easier to get into your wheelchair from a slammed truck from the severe back problems caused by the shitty ride.

It will end up undrivable.

• Like 1

If you just lowered it by the torsion bars up front, raise it back up. Then get some good drop spindles. This'll bring you down a couple inches while maintaining some ride comfort. If you do decide to go lower by adjusting the torsion bars, remember that having the drop spindles will keep a higher amount of suspension travel opposed to having the drop with torsion bars alone (at the same ride height).

So you'll probably be bottoming out the truck before bottoming out the suspension if you go too low, pay a little more for "high performance" shocks and you can noticeably reduce this occurrence.

Say goodbye to the exhaust pipe under the cab. You will hold up traffic at even smaller speed bumps.

And if you do decide to just max out the torsion bar adjustment, hopefully you have insurance that'll cover chiropractic attention, and a connect on tires.

As for the back, I have 4" blocks, and this along with the front has my frame crossmember under the cab 1 1/2-2" from the ground. Can't go much lower before cutting shit up.

If the streets aren't falling apart in your area, it ain't too bad. I'm not into bags, but it may just be more practical if you want to "slam" your ride.

EDIT: And like filthy said, notch it if you go any lower.

• Like 1

I was looking at your pics. If you go lower, you may need to roll maybe pull the fenders for clearance or get some narrower tires OR get some rims with a higher offset. Not all rims will clear drop spindles, though, if you do decide to go that route. You basically just need to keep fitment in mind. 

No problemo. There's a wealth of knowledge here, you just gotta have some thick skin. 

Exhaust will rub every bump but eventually this will stop because a raised manhole will rip it off. Problem solved.

By the forth set of tires, the fronts will have worn the fenders away from turning.

The guy fucking your girlfriend loves the idea because he'll hear you three blocks away and have time to finish and jump out the bedroom window.

It will be easier to get into your wheelchair from a slammed truck from the severe back problems caused by the shitty ride.

It will end up undrivable.

The further you go lower or higher from the normal ride height, the closer you move towards your vehicle becoming undrivable. Speed bumps and even slightly ramped driveways become impossible. Ride quality becomes worse and worse with kidney jolting bumps. Constant scraping and grinding and other strange sounds. Eventually you can only drive it at 15 MPH down main street.

Fact is, it's all about how much time and money you want to spend, what you have to work with, and what kind of ride you want to end up with.

I have went to extremes to keep my ride, my frame is 2 1/2" off the ground(frame rails in the front), and a few pieces on the frame hang down a half inch(trans. cross member gussets) that I could grind off(and likely will) someday, I cut out the stock carrier cross member and replaced it with one that doesn't hang down, I notched the rear and used Nissan 4X4 leafs with 2 inch blocks, I cut off the stock 720 front leaf mounts, and replaced them with 520/521 mounts so they don't hang down but a half inch below the frame themselves.

I am going to change how the rear shackles mount to get a couple more inches lower in the back, that will basically get the frame down to 2 1/2 inches off the ground front to rear.

I made my own front drop arms, about a 2 1/2 inch drop, I also narrowed them 1 1/2 inches on each side, which makes it 3" narrower, but I did this because I dropped a 520 cab onto a 720 frame.

I cut the floor boards and made a tunnel to make room to put the exhaust above the cross members.

This is the poor mans way to drop your 720, you need an extra frame for parts, some sheet metal, a welder, and the knowledge to use it.

Drop spindles and blocks are the easiest way to go lower safely, but as it was said, there are other things to consider when dropping your truck, and one of the most important things to consider is, will the frame hit if I have a blowout on the freeway, if it will, you are to low, things can get real ugly fast if your frame hits the ground when you are moving fast(60mph), as it will go where it wants to go, you will be along for the ride, and if that ride is towards the ditch, that's where you are going, and there isn't likely anything your going to be able to do about it.

The only way to really make it look low is a body drop, and that's a lot of work.

My goal in the end is to be able to put 4 14 inch rims without tires on my truck, put it on the ground, and be able to roll it around without hitting anything on level ground, if you can do this, you will likely be safe and possibly legal.  :)