SR20DET into 1979 Datsun 210/310

Markiewicz89

Well, I'm planning on making the swap... but I'm not sure as to what is all needed. As you can tell, I'm not a mechanic... but I do have this awesome car that I've wanted to have fun with. I am aware that this vehicle is full of headaches! Haha.. I am also aware that it's going to be worse that it's my first project. 

I've got 1 question requiring multiple answers.What are all the parts that I will need to complete this swap? Once I get them all. I'll bump this topic back up and show you all some pictures as progress goes on.  :rofl:

*Side note: The car is all original.*

Here's a list of the parts coming with the engine. Nissan Silvia 240sx S13

Complete Engine
- Cylinder Head 
- Long Block
- Intake Manifold 
- Sensors 
- Exhaust Manifold 
- Fuel Rail 
- Injectors
- Distributor 
- Throttle Body 
- Alternator 
- Ignition Wires
- Pulleys
- Valve cover
- Oil Pan
- Turbocharge
- 5 Speed Manual Transmission
- Wire Harness
- ECU 
- Ignitor chip
- MAF

I've went through some topics and found this website. 

http://www.maddat.com.au/index.php  :thumbup:

This is a list of parts already mentioned: (Some parts will require fabrication/modification which will be labeled with (F).)

- (F) Radiator

- (F) Motor Mounts

- (F) Sway Bar

- (F) Transmission Mount

- (F) Driveshaft

- (F) Crossmember

-       H190 Rear Axle

-       280zx Struts & Breaks

-       Swaybar

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm planning on making the swap... but I'm clueless as to what is needed. As you can tell, I'm not a mechanic... but I do have this awesome car that I've wanted to have fun with. I am aware that this vehicle is full of headaches! Haha.. I am also aware that it's going to be worse that it's my first project. 

I've got 1 question requiring multiple answers.What are all the parts that I will need to complete this swap? Once I get them all. I'll bump this topic back up and show you all some pictures as progress goes on.  :rofl:

Clueless as to what's needed and not a mechanic.... well hopefully you have a deep pocket because you'll need it.

This is not a common swap so not that well documented like in a 510. Many things will be custom made 'one offs' special to your car. rad, motor mounts, sway bar, transmission mount, driveshaft are not parts sitting on a shelf. You'll have to have them made to measure.

I always shudder when topics like this come up and none of the following is even mentioned...

On top of this I seriously doubt the H-150 rear end is going to stand up to the SR abuse put to it.  Even worse is how will the 33 year old brakes and suspension stand up to 3X or more power. This motor is going to get you into trouble very fast and the only thing that might save you is good brakes and handling.

My advice is to drive and enjoy your car. Learn all you can about it and one day swap a L20B and see what's needed for this. Work your way up from a solid platform that includes upgraded brakes and suspension. Don't get ahead of yourself.

• Like 1

Clueless as to what's needed and not a mechanic.... well hopefully you have a deep pocket because you'll need it.

This is not a common swap so not that well documented like in a 510. Many things will be custom made 'one offs' special to your car. rad, motor mounts, sway bar, transmission mount, driveshaft are not parts sitting on a shelf. You'll have to have them made to measure.

I always shudder when topics like this come up and none of the following is even mentioned...

On top of this I seriously doubt the H-150 rear end is going to stand up to the SR abuse put to it.  Even worse is how will the 33 year old brakes and suspension stand up to 3X or more power. This motor is going to get you into trouble very fast and the only thing that might save you is good brakes and handling.

My advice is to drive and enjoy your car. Learn all you can about it and one day swap a L20B and see what's needed for this. Work your way up from a solid platform that includes upgraded brakes and suspension. Don't get ahead of yourself.

Not clueless. Just like others that have previously attempted. They wanted to make sure and get advice/information about certain spec's before getting a part that would eventually work with a little or a lot of fab work.

I am aware that it isn't documented well.. I've done a lot of reading and still needing information because of it. My goal by this swap is to continually edit my first post on this topic with a guide and document it to my best for others in our community on ratsun.com

I do appreciate the list so far though. Thanks!  

you wanna definitely get familiar with electrical, especially reading wiring diagrams as besides the powertrain they are a VERY important part of doing a swap right. good luck hope it all works out.

Thanks!

to start you are going to need a new rear axle and drive shaft, swaybar. 280zx struts and brakes would be a good idea. youll need to figure out a crossmember.  maddat is a cool sight.  youll be paying a premium, though.

Thanks! 

I'll be starting on an SR20DET swap into my 76 B210 soon and I'll give you a breakdown of some of what your going to need:

Engine Crossmember: Use a 77-81 510 (A10) engine crossmember, Its a direct bolt in (might need to be flipped for oil pan clearance)

Trans Crossmember: I'm not as familiar with the 210's as I am with the B210s so I would say your going to need a Custom one.

Rear end: H190 is preferred or larger if you want to shorten something to work (IE. Ford 8.8)

Brakes:  280zx front struts and brakes (Although I will be using S12 Stuff, I have my reasons), The rear brakes however, you can leave the stock drums and be perfectly fine, or custom modify 240sx rear disks to work.

Swaybar:  Unfortunatly, I have no clue about this for a 210, But probably look at an S12 or S13 one and modify as needed

Driveshaft:  You will need the front of the driveshaft that mounts to the FS5W71C SR20 transmission, and the rear part of the driveshaft that mounts to the rear axle you choose, the length of it will 99% sure be custom made.

Radiator:  This is where things get really interesting, You should be able to make any of the "normal" 510 SR swap radiators work, but your definitely going to need custom brackets made up.

Engine and Trans mounts: you can use any L / KA / Z / SR / CA engine mount, I personaly like Mckinney motorsports poly mounts, And use a NISMO Sr20 Transmission mount since your trans crossmember will probably be custom made.

And Last but not least, Some Wide ass tires to put that power to the ground with :D

• Like 2

I'll be starting on an SR20DET swap into my 76 B210 soon and I'll give you a breakdown of some of what your going to need:

Engine Crossmember: Use a 77-81 510 (A10) engine crossmember, Its a direct bolt in (might need to be flipped for oil pan clearance)

Trans Crossmember: I'm not as familiar with the 210's as I am with the B210s so I would say your going to need a Custom one.

Rear end: H190 is preferred or larger if you want to shorten something to work (IE. Ford 8.8)

Brakes:  280zx front struts and brakes (Although I will be using S12 Stuff, I have my reasons), The rear brakes however, you can leave the stock drums and be perfectly fine, or custom modify 240sx rear disks to work.

Swaybar:  Unfortunatly, I have no clue about this for a 210, But probably look at an S12 or S13 one and modify as needed

Driveshaft:  You will need the front of the driveshaft that mounts to the FS5W71C SR20 transmission, and the rear part of the driveshaft that mounts to the rear axle you choose, the length of it will 99% sure be custom made.

Radiator:  This is where things get really interesting, You should be able to make any of the "normal" 510 SR swap radiators work, but your definitely going to need custom brackets made up.

Engine and Trans mounts: you can use any L / KA / Z / SR / CA engine mount, I personaly like Mckinney motorsports poly mounts, And use a NISMO Sr20 Transmission mount since your trans crossmember will probably be custom made.

And Last but not least, Some Wide ass tires to put that power to the ground with :D

Much appreciated. Time to do a little shopping.  :devil:

• Like 1

don't forget the relay box that Icehouse does it helped alot when i did mine, the trans tunnel needs to be modified, the accel cable or pedal, intercooler, electric fan there might be more, can't remember off the top of my head. link to what i was doing.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=49008&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

• Like 2

Tsapala, an a10 crossmember will not be a bolt in for a b210, iirc it will be a couple of inches too wide(what you want is a pl510 crossmember). Also you can't flip it because the lca bolts will be reversed, the crossmember would have to be cut and welded. The s12 and s13 swaybars will also be too wide for a b210. An s10 might work... That said, what you mentioned will work on the ops 210, just not on the b210

Tsapala, an a10 crossmember will not be a bolt in for a b210, iirc it will be a couple of inches too wide(what you want is a pl510 crossmember). Also you can't flip it because the lca bolts will be reversed, the crossmember would have to be cut and welded. The s12 and s13 swaybars will also be too wide for a b210. An s10 might work... That said, what you mentioned will work on the ops 210, just not on the b210

I was ONLY talking about a 210 (B310), I know what fits in a B210 as Im doing an SR swap in my 76 B210.

Edit: when i said flipped crossmember, i meant cut and welded, i should have specified

Not clueless. Just like others that have previously attempted. They wanted to make sure and get advice/information about certain spec's before getting a part that would eventually work with a little or a lot of fab work.

I am aware that it isn't documented well.. I've done a lot of reading and still needing information because of it. My goal by this swap is to continually edit my first post on this topic with a guide and document it to my best for others in our community on ratsun.com

I do appreciate the list so far though. Thanks!

Well I see you have edited the clueless comment out of the original post. You did say clueless about what's needed...

Well, I'm planning on making the swap... but I'm clueless as to what is needed. As you can tell, I'm not a mechanic... but I do have this awesome car that I've wanted to have fun with. I am aware that this vehicle is full of headaches! Haha.. I am also aware that it's going to be worse that it's my first project.....

Good list...

This is far form impossible to do but it is a daunting task.

• Like 1

if i remember right you want the 82-84 200sx rear end should be h190, solid axle, disk brake, four link, and the same width as the stock h150. should bolt right in, all i could find for mine was out of an 80 200sx so it is only a h165, but it works for now, till i find the right one.

Wow that's just weird. You must have one of those crazyomgfuckingjdmasfuck sr20det's cause i've never seen one with a distributor. wowza kids that's just nuts!

good luck, but this won't happen. I have a B210GX and shot down the idea of a KA swap very quick due to it being quite a daunting task... and I'm a Toyota Tech. I've done more S13 SR/KA/RB swap than years you've been alive. Those are easy and where you really should begin for your first project. In my opinion you should get some experience with cars you can go buy parts right off the shelf. 

A few things to keep in mind in order of most importance....

Do you have the space?

I don't mean your driveway... I mean a garage / shop space

Do you have the tools?

No, not sockets and jack stands. Can you weld?

Do you have the patience?

This could take a year just to source all the parts. Can you wait to save money that long?

Think about it.

Sorry if you think I'm an asshole.