L18 timing setup NO POWER

Hi all . I have a question maybe someone might know I just built a NEW L18 I set the timing chain on number 2 on the cam gear the v notch just left of the mark on the cam plate looks right to me .I put the timing cover on and set the oil pump gear in place the top shaft looking down from the top is pointed at the11:25 position .I drop in the dis.. rotor is off set from the cap .when I started the motor the timing marks are way off from the lower pulley  and I have NO power under load any info please .Thanks

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if your your sure the timming marks are correct and the dizzy is installed correct then it should be fine.

be honest the V should be right on above the dash or the V just a cunt hair right of the dash. but it should still run

sedt the dizzy to the middle of the position on the timming plate. if its too far to one side then turn the dizzy over and readjust the plate(a 8mm bolt) so when installed at Zero on crank .

ck the dist again or fire order or lash pads/rocker arms need lash set.

rotor is off set from the cap .???????????????

this means soemthing it should be right on. unless a mismatched matchbox where the rotor points between #1 & #3 plug wire. this will give a faster you go the less power you have symtom

use your old distributor or make sure the rorots points exactly at #1 plug wire or set up the timming plste so its in middle of the adv/retatard on plate by adjusting the plte from underneath the dizzy.

ok thanks guys .the v is off center to the left by cunt hair ,,LOL almost centered . the dizzy is a sss single point I will try to adjust the dizzy plate and center the timing plate . I checked the cam lash pads and marked the rockers with a ink pen the wipe off the end of the rocker is 1/8 to 3/16 should be good let me know what you think  thank you

Move sprocket to the #3 hole this will move the V under or slightly right of the line.

Take the plate off the dizzy and see if the advance weights have fallen off or are stuck/broken.

Is your secondary opening at WOT??? Hold throttle open and push down on the throttle plate with a pencil. Is it free to move???

ok I have a update .removed the cover and checked the link count 43 links these had 2 dark links and the book states 42 that's on the inside link the next link that's colored would make it 43  I have 2 L16/ L18 chain sets both marked at 43 links .made in japan new.  any feed back on this .Thanks guys

if you dial the crank to zero and the tiiimg mark on the cam sprocket is correct who cares about the number of links. its timmed. I think you have a dizzy isse or a carb issue. if carb was good before then I would think its good. Of you got parts from else where and wasnt cked maybe they bad. I alwasy run the same stuff as last not to induc a proplem(a bad part)

update. I found out the crank key that holds the lower pulley sheared off very odd ,, the marks were off and going by that the oil pump was off too so it was the dizzy out of time no damage to the motor and it runs great now Thanks Guys

Anything that can shear a Woodruff key needs to be investigated! Hopefully it was a stupid "this part is too high, why not cut it".