Project: Dat-Rod!

Justin

I've been wanting to build a Dat-rod for nearly a decade now, and I think I may have just about all the parts I need.

img952_zpsb689939e.jpg

img950_zpse0967ac6.jpg

img949_zps8c8aa1dc.jpg

The idea that a hot rod can be built by anyone on the cheap USED to be a universal idea. Now, building a hot rod using junkyard parts is basically unheard of. Your choices are ebay, swap meets and aftermarket. And all that shit's too expensive for me. :)

So, I went about building a hot rod in the "traditional" manner, FLAT BROKE using EASY TO FIND parts! :D

Initially I tried building said Dat-Rod with a long-bed frame, fiberglass t-bucket body and NO welder  :rolleyes:

(plans didn't get too far!!)

But now we fast-forward X amount of years and things are once again beginning to take shape!!!!

-I acquired a CHEAP harbor freight ARC welder-

AND decided to go with REAL STEEL in the form of a'73 VW bug body

(NO "before" PICS ANYMORE :(

-I also acquired a 46-48 Ford Cowl and rear window frame/roof section to mask the fact I'm using a v-dub body :D

Straightening cowl-

fixingFirewall.jpg

Fetching the roof-

SANY0112_2.jpg[/url]

SANY0135_2.jpg

Welding in the rear window frames-

SANY0294.jpg

...And mounting the 1/2 price day Pick N Pull passenger side door.

SANY0006.jpg

IMAG0002_zps56f9ab3b.jpg

IMAG0003_zps9ce792a5.jpg

I have collected a FEW grilles to choose from. Of them I am most proud of this one:

As was found-SANY0306.jpg

Dis-assembled:

SANY0308.jpg

Re-assembled, straightened, painted:

SANY0001.jpg

...And believed to be a 30/31 Pontiac from the looks of it...

Parts/junk pile:

RatRodParts1.jpg

Now some of you may notice the straight-axle in my "parts pile". This was collected when I was still considering using a longbed ford courier frame, which is no longer the case.

The "plan" for this build is:

Datsun truck frame with removed body-mounts, moved-back engine and spring shock absorbers/lever-action shocks, similar to this:

img951_zps7241f3f0.jpg

-using the steering box from an old 70's RV

-Hoodless

-Fenderless (hopefully)

-Whitewall big N littles

-bitchen-ass flame job

(Like this one:)

DSCN0246.jpg

-Straight pipes

-Any other cool shit I can think of  :)

Now since my truck isn't running I must first BRING IT BACK FROM THE DEAD before ACTUAL construction begins on this beast UNLESS I am able to find a "parts vehicle" in the datsun price range.... HAH!

Plus, I got a wedding to be at in two weeks, so I'll need a "driver".

I want this thing to PASS for an actual "hot rod", as I see too many cobbled-together POS known as "rat rods" and I do not want it in that category...

So yeah, updates may be slow (just ask the volksrodders! Hahaha), but I'll post 'em when they happen.

What do you think???

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mrbigtanker-

I covered what I used to build the body (46-48 Ford coupe Firewall and rear window frames on a VW bug body); the frame, brakes, running gear, engine and transmission (and probably most of the wiring/electrical) will all be datsun, and when you consider that Datsun and VW shared the same assembly line at the same plant, it makes sense (kinda... maybe... sort of... in a way...).

Ouch!

The biggest visual aspect of the "cool" factor (besides cleaning up the rubbish welds) will be setting the Datsun motor back far enough in the frame, and getting the grill BEHIND or at the same point as the front wheels. The space between the front of the firewall and the wheels/grill shell can make or break a ride IMHO. 

(I think I'll actually need to cut back the firewall a bit, I think it's too long)

Example:

While it's a cool car with a lot of unique touches, the nose on this thing sticks out like a battering ram; so this is a NO:

rat_rod_magazine_official_tour_car_2011_

Note the slanted angle, location between the front wheels and small grill. This thing is a YES:

dsc0098to_zpsdcc9c1b9.jpg

And while I don't care for the top of the grill shell to be above the top of the cowl, that little discrepancy is almost unnoticeable compared to the grill's location itself.

Now if the MODS want me to post this rubbish someplace else, I will;

But I thought I'd make a post exemplifying what a "Ratsun rat rod" COULD (should???) be before sticking my neck out anywhere else.... :D

• Like 1

You had me a DatRod :D

I think that your taking an approach I might take with something of this nature, but I have sworn off the VWs :lol:

edit: Nice work on that grill, I would run it for the "I fixed that shit" factor.

• Like 1

Justin,

That is cool. I was into VW Bugs big time before coming over to the Datside.

I've been working on my own Dat-Rod with my Dad a little here and there. It is not much more than a collection of parts at this point, but we keep picking away at it. 

Our pile includes:

34 Ford chassis

6" drop I beam front axle w/drum brakes

'35 Ford 16" wire wheels

Rear end from a '97 Geo Tracker 5.12 R&P (to turn the old school 7.00-16 hot rod tires it will have)

'48 Ford F6 truck cab off a 2 ton rack body with matching hood. 

'71 Datsun 240Z L24 engine

I do plan to start a build thread on it once I get time to working on it with any regularity.

Right now the expansion of FutoFab to add steel parts into our product lineup has been very time consuming. 

• Like 1

For what it's worth, you can get new lever action shock absorbers at less cost than "conversion" assemblies plus the cost of "regular" shock absorbers that fit on the conversion.  Looking like a good fun build!  VW tubs have been used to make some really good looking custom vehicles for a long time.

• Like 1

Debating...

Cooler maybe? But needs more work to be excellent-

2013-08-31160020_zps2386075a.jpg

Pretty excellent, but need to strip paint, maybe cut-off crooked grill bar:

2013-08-31160241_zps2c32adf4.jpg

I want to run 521 gauges in these somehow, but they are more mangled than they look

2013-09-01122753_zps6cd82624.jpg

'70's mopar RV power steering that has the "opposite turning" output shaft necessary to run cowl steering. 

2013-09-01122855_zps000289e9.jpg

Need to flip the steering arm out, get/make a connecting rod to the wheel, bend the "wheel-side" mount and get ball-joints for it all.

....And if you don't have any clue what I'm doing, here's a PDF of the plans:  http://shiftco.com/dotrod/Dotrod.pdf  Thanks Shifty!!

• 2 months later...