1984 720

84720FourWheel

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not saying that changing the input shaft bearing is bad, but as Mike mentioned, the lower cluster gear bearing is the one that usually goes bad, I have had several of them go bad, never had an input bearing go bad.

The shaft has a bit of play, haven't heard any growling. 

Transmission input shaft bearing. 

That play you feel on the shaft is normally supported by the pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft so don't worry about it much,. It doesn't flop around like that when installed. You could replace the pilot bushing they are only $3 and 2 minutes to do if the transmission is out.

That is a sweet looking truck! I fell in love with a brand new yellow 86 4x4 king cab 720 a long time ago at the Nissan dealership as a teenager before I ever had a license. Fast forward to 94 I bought a brand new black hardbody after having a steady job for two years after graduating.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to paint it Stainless steel silver, but it was easier to just do white.

I missed it so much. I've got an exhaust leak right now because its damn hard to get the exhaust downpipe bolts tight. I replaced the gasket, so its not the lack of one. But she purrs like a kitten, and the new clutch feels amazing. I had no idea what I was missing. Tomorrow I'll get everything buttoned up and finalized.

Such a huge change from the '91 Saturn SL1 I was borrowing. I'm ready to drive her for another 30 years.

• Like 1

That transmission picture is interesting. Usually the oil fill bung is on the left side.... usually. Another is the placement of the reverse lamp switch. It's usually just forward on that other raised boss. Driven through Minn in December before.   

• Like 1

I had a persistent flange gasket leak as well. I solved the leak issue by loosening the header at the head before reefing down on the flange gasket bolts themselves. Once you have the flange tightened up nicely, then tighten the exhaust header back down against the head and you should be leak free.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

xnkFZBu.jpg

Got a new washer nozzle, its nice to not have to stop at a gas station to see out the window.

dfZA0De.jpg

Gave her a rinse to get as much of the salt off as I could.

JrNcUvS.jpg

Unfortunately, rust is starting to rear its ugly head,

f4lgz7P.jpg

byx18gA.jpg

Does anyone know where to get new bumpers for the hood? I'd like to be able to adjust the hood height.

Sb1EFUY.jpg

A pic of the engine sitting back in its home, with some new NGK wires.

Nwkb1jE.jpg

Soon this will be a clock thanks to Gradyfest

GLp1sGF.jpg

The shift boot really quieted down the cab.

• Like 2

My hood rubbers were cracked and had to break it just to get it off cause it wouldn't twist. But as many times as I went to my junkyard I found the perfect fix. Go to your local junkyard and look for a Nissan Quest. There hood rubbers are exactly the same, just gotta find a quest with some good ones. Also, if your looking for those little rubber stoppers for your gas door. The Quest is also the same.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...