Air shocks and shock questions.

djflizo69

Ok guys please don't bash me to hard but, Has anyone ever put front air shocks on 720? I just picked up some Monroe air shocks for the rear from CL for 60 bones brand new!

I would like to see if i could put some in the front of my truck because i want to slam it but i don't want to keep getting stuck coming up my driveway. I would also like to maybe install a cheapo on board compressor to fill the shocks before i go up my driveway.

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg to air bag it because that's not what i want, I'm going to go ol'skool and do a hydraulic suspension, but it's still a ways out.

Anyway if anybody has any info on this i would really like to know..............Thanks!!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On board compressor? Several "maybe" choices. Early Chevy Camaro RS had a small compressor and air tank for the retractable headlight cover. 1970 Buick Electra [and presumably the clone Caddy ElDorado] with rear air adjustable shocks had a decent compressor and tank to level the rear end when too much junk was in the trunk. Either should be able to effect a driveway elevator motion and avoid scraping you chassis and frame. After market compressor assemblies for air horns are also a starting point. Good luck!

Do you guys think this will be a good idea? I mean, wouldn't it be nice to have a slammed truck and be able to raise it on the fly! I really don't want to spend all that cash for air ride when you can fab up some air shocks to raise it up! :thumbup:

I say go for it! I put them in mine temporarily, So I can keep the driveshaft from hitting the tunnel. Gonna raise the tunnel, But it just wasn't in the budget at the time I put the blocks in...

Once you get them in, and you end up not liking them...You can always swap them out.

What's up Bro! are you trying to macGyver some air shocks up. THE OLD SCHOOL way was take the torsion bars off and cruz..ok here is how you do it. buy a small compressor and a 3-5 tank the compressor will fill the tank. so when you need the air you hit the switch and you got some hard pci going in the air shocks. you will need a release valve also..you also have to find the shortest air shocks. or else the truck will not lay...or cut up the top tower and raise it up so shock has room..

Hit me up if you need help on it..Mini Racers 85-90      

Right on SOCAL! Yeah i have it lowered already i just want to be able to raise it when going up my driveway. I'm going to do hydros someday. I started another thread trying to get the measurements on the stock front shocks so i can see about getting some air shocks for the front on ebay. Thanks for offering to help, i'll take you up on that!! :thumbup:

I was thinking air shocks in the rear for load leveling.  I actually use my truck....  AS a truck.  Thinking of using a cadillac self leveling valve in the rear with the same vacuum driven compressor.

Which shocks exactly fit the 720 (2wd)??  Not too happy when I have to carry a lot of crap and the tail drags.

Can someone please tell me the length of the stock shocks on the 720? Also if anybody knows the length of the smaller shocks for lowered 720's. Thanks guys!

2wd max. length center line of the mount hole to the top is 18.70" stroke length is 7.48"

4wd max. length center line to center line of the mount holes is 21.57" stroke length is 8.66"

Instead of some puny ill damping Pinto shocks, cut and move your top shock mount higher by the distance you dropped your truck.

I've merges both shock topics to keep all the info together.

2wd max. length center line of the mount hole to the top is 18.70" stroke length is 7.48"

4wd max. length center line to center line of the mount holes is 21.57" stroke length is 8.66"

Instead of some puny ill damping Pinto shocks, cut and move your top shock mount higher by the distance you dropped your truck.

I've merges both shock topics to keep all the info together.

Thanks datzenmike! That info is going to help out alot. I have a lead on some close to those measurements. If i have to i can move the mounts up. I have a welder and a lil bit of fab know how.

That would be a good idea Tinman. The Monroe MA802 will fit the rear of the truck, The ones for the front are the ones i'm trying to figure out.

Awesome!  And Amazon has them in stock and says they fit!  Thanks!  

Been wanting to do this for a while now, especially with the caddy ride level setup.  We used to have a 77 eldorado.... loved that setup!

Awesome!  And Amazon has them in stock and says they fit!  Thanks!  

Been wanting to do this for a while now, especially with the caddy ride level setup.  We used to have a 77 eldorado.... loved that setup!

Good deal bro! Let us know how it comes out.

Depending on where you are hitting getting in your driveway, you might be able to just have the rear shocks adjustable.

wayno, you might be right. I already have the rear air shocks. I'll put them on first then go from there. Thanks!

Thanks datzenmike! That info is going to help out alot. I have a lead on some close to those measurements. If i have to i can move the mounts up. I have a welder and a lil bit of fab know how.

It should be better than close. That's from the '84 Factory Service Manual from Nissan.