Canopy Mounting

Grafiske

So I just got a canopy that fits on the bed perfectly - it was previously mounted with C clamps (on a toyota), but judging by the lip on the bed, that won't work on my truck.

Is there a go to alternative for mounting beds on 720's?

Let me know!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can try these, but they are pretty close to c clamps. You should be able to find some at a canopy shop.  Any pics?

http://www.dkhardware.com/product-12977-rm608004-truck-cap-c-clamp-for-caps-with-fiberglass-rail.html?mr:trackingCode=FBD1C30F-CDE0-E111-9B44-001B21BCB944&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=18074697852&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=40818743652&gclid=CKqZlYfpp7gCFSqCQgodfn4Amg

So I just got a canopy that fits on the bed perfectly - it was previously mounted with C clamps (on a toyota), but judging by the lip on the bed, that won't work on my truck.

Is there a go to alternative for mounting beds on 720's?

Let me know!

This hooks into the holes in the bed rail. Once the straps are tight the canopy is on solid and no ugly straps outside. You also can still use the straps to hold stuff to the side of the bed.

I had bought hardware to bolt it on and then promptly lost them. I had to do a dump run and came up with that to hold the canopy on. I will use this method from now on, in fact we pulled the canopy off of my truck real quick like and locked it down on Nuffs truck after match drilling the 7/16 holes in his rails.

IMG_5140.jpg

IMG_2067_zps11391491.jpg

• 4 months later...

This is a great idea, I just went out and tried it, worked great after bending the hooks just a little.  :thumbup:

I couldn't believe it worked. I've spent years fucking around with bolts and clamps and an it was so simple.

Are those tie down straps from Harbor Freight?

I'm contemplating a canopy for my 720 too.

slemers

Yep, harbor freight :lol:

=I drilled holes on my 720. then put the nuts and washers up in teh rail. It's kind of a pain.

I have a new plan of attach. The 84 and older 720s have external be hooks, that are screwed in from the inside of the bed.  Why not just fab something up to go on the inside of the bed and use the backing plate for the external tie downs.  Excuse my shitty text drawing, but look at it like thisl

Outside of the bed > the inside has this plate | and two screws =

One could simple remove that | plate, weld some steel to that, and then clamp it to that.  No holes in your bed that way.  If you don't care you could just drill it, or even weld somethign on the inside of the bed.  Some people drill holes in the bottom of the bed then run steel clear up to the canopy and then clamp it like that.