datsun 510 deluxe new one!

510chile

Hello

Im Christian von der Forst (AKA Chris) and im very happy to introduce myself and my newest "oldest" ride.

Im a proud owner of a datsun 510 4 door deluxe (known as 1500 here in chile) with rear solid axle.

Some specs:

engine l18e (from a datsun silvia 180sx year 1980 known as gazelle and sakura in mexico)

gearbox: dogleg 5 speed

ecu: bosh l jet (it came with the silvia)

front suspension: datsun 910 bluebird. (it fits very well, the camber seems bad yet...)

exhaust mani: ld20t 

turbo: original garret gt15

original downpide (it says nissan on the side ..cooooool)

intercooler : mazda l200 (the nissans where to big, shame, i wannt to keep it all nissan.)

battery (on the trunk)... i forgot to put the battery, so now its on the trunk

radiator: vw (dont know what model, but its very large).

bosh fuel pump, custom fuel lines and tank (send and return)

waterbottle: daewoo nubira (ufff..i will change it for a nissan later)

wheelies: nissan tiida

Front: 195x50x15

rear: 205x50x15

Electrical: brand new with 50 meter of wires :) and many relays.

in dash tacho.

So its a l18et!!!

im very happy...

Now im rebuilding the engine, cause it was smogging too much... but it feels acceptable with just 100hp. the turbo will give me a little bit more, so i cant wait to finish my ride to test it. 

Radio: Pioneer kp4000b 1974 with line in and bluetooth (dawmm i was a PITA putting that together) with a couple of clarions 6x9...old school sound! :)

here some pics...

here with a friend taking the car to a friends shop to overhaul the engine (my yard is getting a little bit dirty... :) )

6.jpg

Engine bay

8.jpg

turbo pic with intercooler attached

5.jpg

dash tacho

behind the sterring wheel is the alternator lamp (made a hole and put the original there...shame its not appearing)

9.jpg

thank you all and the forums for the info to assemble my ratsun!

chris

• Like 1
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the welcome... ill post later the electrical system, maybe it would help somebody!

new "old" future wheels (sakura 14´´)

17.jpg

my other ride (im very proud..it took me 2 years of work without any knowledge)...and i had to put this image because i really dont know how my son could climb that thing, he use the winshield as a slide uhh :)

15.jpg

greets

c

• Like 1

You might want to find some {US Market} 1991 Nissan 240SX plastic wheel covers, they look just like the 1990 240SX Aluminum wheels at a much more affordable cost.  A suggestion as a bridge to whatever you decide you want as a final look.

i have the wheels from the sakura, so i think ill keep those. Thanks for the datto

5.jpg

How cool is a turbo L18???? we never got a wiff of this setup here. If that's the MAF/MAP with the flap door, it should be mounted horizontal or will send the wrong metering information.

yes its a vaf (vane air flow)...ohhh....ill modify it, there is some space there...i didnt kew that.... really thanks!

Hola Chris.

Welcome.

Solid rear axle?

thanks ratwgon

yes solid rear... maybe a h165 or 145..i hope h165....but i dont now how to identify yet... its a little bigger than the 180sx 1980 (sakura) the axles are bigger. (the rear flange -the holes- to mount the calipers didnt fit :( ) not to good pictures..sorry... maybe its the same as the wagon? (we dont those here..its a shame)

rearfp.jpg

i changed it for another one (the same), cause it was leaking oil

swap.jpg

5.jpg

Just rotate the AFM CW a bit...sit it somewhat level

You could remove that black plastic lid on top to adjust A/F ratios if need be..... :sneaky:

Stock setting on mine....upper left in pic

I marker each side of that tab with a black/ felt marker pen....then held the wheel/clock and backed off the phillips screw.

The wheel is under tension...soooo ....one doesn't want to let it go/unwind.....lol

Rotated it 3 teeth plus/minus CCW to richen mixture....<.....less spring tension on flap....CW is lean.

Then tightened the tab screw.....drove ....checked A/f ratios...re-adjusted a couple of times to find optimum conditions.

P8280099.jpg

You can also shift the elec board to give the arm/wiper a fresh wipe pattern.

Might not need any adjustment at all.......just food for thought.... :)

And of course....Welcome. :thumbup:

5.jpg

Just rotate the AFM CW a bit...sit it somewhat level

You could remove that black plastic lid on top to adjust A/F ratios if need be..... :sneaky:

Stock setting on mine....upper left in pic

I marker each side of that tab with a black/ felt marker pen....then held the wheel/clock and backed off the phillips screw.

The wheel is under tension...soooo ....one doesn't want to let it go/unwind.....lol

Rotated it 3 teeth plus/minus CCW to richen mixture....<.....less spring tension on flap....CW is lean.

Then tightened the tab screw.....drove ....checked A/f ratios...re-adjusted a couple of times to find optimum conditions.

P8280099.jpg

You can also shift the elec board to give the arm/wiper a fresh wipe pattern.

Might not need any adjustment at all.......just food for thought.... :)

And of course....Welcome. :thumbup:

wooowwww...really thanks... i have read it on the internet, but the pic  is way more easy... shame i dont have a wideband. Maybe i can borrow one from a friend... that will be the next step.. i have now removed the engine and hope it will be ready next week if i dont find any  mayor problem.

BTW My tester run out of batteries... do you know if this injectors al low or hich resistance? ... maybe ill need an upgrade (and fmu perhaps).

thanks for the tips man.

Thanks Chris for the pictures, very interesting.

Every 510 sedan we got in Australia had the independent rear end.

i wish i could find one of those here... bluebird 910 sss is my option, there are many here, in a couple of days i will go to the junk to see if it fits!

• 5 months later...

hello

at least the car is full running...just tuning efi... i solved the problem of the location of the air filter and put a wideband...

5 psi , 6 degrees advanced.. well at first i was with 9 a/f ...(puaj...) all rpm range with  load... the car was slow... today i tunned a little bit and im 12-11 a/f all the way... did advance the dizzy a little (10 degrees) and 7psi without detonation running 93 octane. (we have 97 but i prefer to test with low octane)

i think im a little rich... tomorrow will tune the afm aiming 14 at idle and review part and full throttle (12). hope it works :)

the car feels very fast, but it isnt too much... more tuning needed.

The turbo spools 5 psi at 2200 - 2500 ... its to tiny... but it works for now.

Anyone knows the size of the compressor housing of  a t15 t20 t 25 (diameter). I think i have a t15 or something like that...it comes from a ld20t..if anyone nows what turbo is ill be very happy :) ... i wanna know because the turbo compressor housing is about 2 cm from the intake....dont know if i can put some bigger turbo.

bypass and air box, removed all the cold start thingi...it was leaking boost all over the place, boost controller and a couple of filters, removed pcv, changed the dizzy for a 180b because it was very cheap with pertronix and coil, fuel reg 1:1, attached a vag wastegate (5psi).

103.jpg

fiberglass on the rear... :) ugly ass

100.jpg

interior... wideband, boost gauge... ahh...hidro brake... (not conected for now, i have to test the position), new key fron a tsuru and steering chinese copy omp wheel.

Brand new chinese seats... they are very cool but very hard... my kid just did pee all over the seats...ughh hahahah.

New accelerator pedal from junkjard...it seems that is of a chevy truck... its very good, much more that the original. (i really recommend it)

need to change the lights wires to the "telecomando" ...light controller... dont know the name in english.

104.jpg

fiberglass patches :) and a electro fan...with a vw bulb (at 80 celius starts)

101.jpg

prosit

christian

• 2 weeks later...

uhh...everything was working fine up to 12 psi .... then the boost controller (chinese one) failed..... ufff... 18 psi, the turbo blows (radial and axial movement).

The car was smoking blueish.. (maybe just the turbo or maybe rings, head gasket, dont know exactly).

The compression is still 150 psi across all cylinders, but it smokes... maybe the turbo?

Any other ideas of what could be the blue smoke?

any help will be appreciatte... i dont wanna strip the entire engine yet... i think its better to change the turbo, then check if it smokes...

thanks

chris

a couple of minutes ago i was lookint at a t25 (from a ca18) ...and it fits very well... do not know if a t28 fits..its very narrow between the intake and the exhaust manifold.

Hope its not an oil ring.... well ill try first changing the turbo...

hope yout right...

thanks

c