My Pearl Blue 1969 510 build

Honestly, I haven't heard much of anything about CX Racing. The kits that include a turbo are really cheap so I'm sure at least the turbos are made in China. But like I said earlier, they're the only ones that sell a manifold that suits my needs. I could probably find some shop to fab something custom for me but that gets expensive. I think most people run a log mani with a GT28RS and a master cylinder without a booster and that setup gives them enough room. I, on the other hand, am running a MC with a booster and I plan to go the GT30R or GT35 route so I need a mani that places the turbo forward.

But hey, figuring this stuff out is exactly what I find enjoyable about this whole deal...it's about the journey not just the destination imho.

spoken like a true fellow! well i think im going to end up going with the intercooler and radiator and if i find out they are bad ill definitly let yo know!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been awhile since I've posted.  The joys of having a career and family suck up most of my time.  But, I thought I'd share picks of some goodies I've acquired and the slight progress I've made.

Exhaust Manifold - DOC RACE forward facing exhaust manifold with a V-band inlet flange.

Turbo - Garrett GT2860RS, TIAL V-band, .86 A/R

Wastegate - TIAL MV-R 44mm wastegate

Battery Relocation - Rennline relocation kit for Odyssey dry cell.

Battery Cabling - 1ga SAE cabling

Kill Switches - Longacre kill switches

Ignition Switch - Longacre ignition and push button switches

DOCRACE_EMANI_1.jpg?psid=1

DOCRACE_EMANI_2.jpg?psid=1

GARRETT_1.jpg?psid=1

GARRETT_2.jpg?psid=1

GARRETT_3.jpg?psid=1

GARRETT_4.jpg?psid=1

TIAL_1.jpg?psid=1

TIAL_2.jpg?psid=1

BATTERY_1.jpg?psid=1

BAT_CABLE_1.jpg?psid=1

BAT_CABLE_2.jpg?psid=1

• Like 3

Its coming out so awesome im jealous. want to ask if you know of eny clearance and fitment issues with your  turbo setup yet. i also have a booster on my 510, going with a 44mm wastgate and a turbonetics T3/T04e 3in v band. But the doc race and mazworx turbo manis look like they will have issues with the booster and strut tower on a 510?   

Its coming out so awesome im jealous. want to ask if you know of eny clearance and fitment issues with your  turbo setup yet. i also have a booster on my 510, going with a 44mm wastgate and a turbonetics T3/T04e 3in v band. But the doc race and mazworx turbo manis look like they will have issues with the booster and strut tower on a 510?   

Excellent observation.  The only reference I could find was the CXRacing manifold that looks very similar to the DOC RACE forward facing manifold.  The CXRacing had a GT35 mounted and it cleared the strut tower.  My only concern, much like yours, is the booster.  This was the main reason I went with a V-band inlet so I could tweak the angle of the turbo.  I plan on testing fitting the motor very soon and if it fits without any major clearance issues I plan on getting one of these flex V-band downpipes from ATP Turbo (same place I sourced my GT28).  If I've miss calculated some how and it just won't fit, I'll ditch the booster.  I'm pretty confident that it'll fit but I'm also crossing my figures too.  If I have time this weekend I'll try and swing the motor in and test fit it as I'm extremely anxious to validate my assumptions.  Stay tuned...

Never seen the early dash without the pad on it. Looks pretty damn cool like that...   :thumbup:

Thanks!  At first I was like, "does this look weird?"  But I'm really happy with the way it turned out after powder coating.  Even if I was able to find a mint 69 dash I don't think I would change it.  This whole project has grown organically in directions I never expected.  The journey this project is taking me is challenging and rewarding, much like raising a kid.... 

• 1 year later...

It's been aware since I last posted any updates. Everyday life gets in the way but I've been making good progress. Everything engine and drivetrain wise is in now. The only left before I can start it is wire the full pump and get a bigger battery. I bought a small Odyssey (350 CCA) thinking of only the weight and room I'd be saving. LOL, thing won't even turn the motor a full rotation, nothing. Did some research and an 850 CCA battery is actually recommended. I've got pretty high compression, can't remember but they did one for me when I bought the S14. I'll have to buy a compression tester to test again but I was thinking it was around 13 psi??  Anyways, once I get the battery (an 850 CCA Odyssey is around $250) and wire up the fuel pump I'll try and start it. I think I'll try the base map that comes with AEM EMS v2 but this guy I found on YouTube (Jonathan Fasking) has a really good set of video on tuning and setting up base maps that I might try.

13 psi is nothing. Do you mean 13:1 compression ratio? That's brutally high even for a non turbo engine. Yes it can be done, but the tuning is sensitive and small mistakes can quickly lead to catastrophic failures.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Woah somehow this build slipped passed me. Fabulous man. From the color to the stance. One of the sexier 4-doors I've ever seen. On the engine bay, the paint texture, did you go with some sort of chip resistant primer first and then the color?

• Like 1

I didn't think you ventured out that far east your still in Funky Town, right?

Actually, I moved to the "middle" awhile back. I'm in Arlington now.    ^_^

I must have been browsing the meet when you spyed my dime. Would have really liked to talk to you. Do you make it out to any other meets on a regular basis?

A friend of mine (Coda on here) saw the car at the meet and sent me that pic. If I had been there, trust me I'd have whipped your ass about the car for awhile.   :rofl:

I'm definitely going to hit up more meets when the 1200 is done. I just hate coming to those things in my boring daily. 

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...