New here!! I need help!

Datsun1017

Truck is running good just can't get the damn thing to stop. Guy told me when I bought it only needed bleeder valve when the truck got to my house have the lines were missing. I got all new adjusters and shoes. Only need new master cylinder and lines to keep the drums. What should I do?

First of all I would just get it driving, fix the drum brakes first, work on the front, and then on the back, if you are missing parts, that makes it tougher, as one can take a bad part to a hose place and have them make you what you need with a sample, maybe someone has used lines you can use.

Drum brakes work good enough to use the truck, then once you understand all that is needed for disc brakes, you can collect the parts, and do it all at once.

Wilwood, Beebani, and Mike K. all make disc brake kits, Wilwood is all custom parts you buy from them as far as I know, beebani is a bracket kit that uses hardbody calipers/passport rotors I believe, and Mikes kit is brackets that use 84-86 Nissan 720 calipers/rotors.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Truck is running good just can't get the damn thing to stop. Guy told me when I bought it only needed bleeder valve when the truck got to my house have the lines were missing. I got all new adjusters and shoes. Only need new master cylinder and lines to keep the drums. What should I do?

Small claims court.  It's called fraud!

Thanks for all the help! I think I've got the right hoses I ordered from rockauto. Any info on where to get my master cylinder? Im gonna order some universal hard lines this week

I always buy Centric, part#130.42300, they are new, not rebuilt, no core and I have never bought a bad one yet, and they are reasonably priced.

I used to buy them at this one local auto parts store, but now they are available at "Costless" also, not saying this is good or bad, that will be determined at a later date, I hope the quality continues to be the same.

When I went to front disc brakes, I use Centric, part#130.42303, this I believe is for a 1979 datsun 620 pickup with front disc brakes, search "Centric part#---------", they are cheaper on ebay than where I have been buying them.

I just did this on my 521 ran great no brakes had midas make a new hard line for my RH front as I damaged it taking the old rubber line off $70.00 they said they could not get the brakes to bleed only had back.

Took it to my shop and adjusted the new master that I got at rock auto had to trim the shaft as it was too long to fit properly once I adjusted got all the brakes working, well as good as they can work still a little hard to get used to when you are used to modern brakes

Things I learned

pedal adjustment is crucial on single resivoir master cylinder

I had to use thicker copper washers to get my rubber lines to seat right

used this master

DORMAN M96481 http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=966555&cc=1212332

• 3 months later...