Rod Cap Stud Stuck in Crankshaft

Just got this here 1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief with a seized engine. PO claimed that the pistons had seized in their bores (while he was driving it)...

Anyways, I removed the oil pan today. Found spun bearings on the rear connecting rods. One of the rod caps was hanging on by one stud and a loose nut. The other stud has jammed itself between the crank and block. I need help figuring out how to remove it.

I'm not planning on using this engine, but I need to un-seize it to avoid having to pull the transmission (automatic).

Pictures:

IMG_20130611_173123_zps22863e09.jpg

IMG_20130611_173134_zps6c9a4de8.jpg

IMG_20130611_173140_zpsb895a362.jpg

The crankshaft will not move at all, so I can't jostle it free.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That crank is pooched anyway so stick a 6' pry bar in there and rotate the crank backwards. Failing that loosen all the mains and perhaps the crank will drop a fraction of an inch at the back and loosen enough to get it out.

It's something that could just as well happen to an L series, thus general technical. It's not specific to any particular engine.

If this is a forum I'm comfortable visiting, I should be able to ask for help regardless.

I probably should have posted there. I feel like it's more of a 'view my project' section as opposed to "here's a single problem, hAlp." I dunno

I'm going to try prying on the crank itself tomorrow. I don't have a 1/2 socket for my impact, so I'll leave removing the mains as a later option.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, in the interest of annoying people, I'd love to hear about your shitty Jeep some more.  Could you post some pictures?  :D  Man, that rod bolt is creamed.