--- My BLUE 240z ---

I'm BLUE

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much of an update lol

Grabbed my flexshaft/grinder/carver motor thingy ...
11864165266_109c841230_c.jpg
grinder carver by 71240z, on Flickr

finished grinding most of the bolt that was in there.. until I get a steel insert or tap it I'm leaving what's left for "meat" :)
11863644504_30741ea944_c.jpg
004 by 71240z, on Flickr

11863501943_0dbb79dfc1_c.jpg
005 by 71240z, on Flickr

tappity tap ..
11863639834_0fa800fbc7_c.jpg
006 by 71240z, on Flickr

center punched the last bolt to be drilled/extracted.
11864048996_32272b3396_c.jpg
003 by 71240z, on Flickr

and started drilling that tonight for a bit , and it all takes time lol.

I was going through and inspecting the valve-train and head today in between the sky peeing all over me :D . I was planning on adjusting all the valves all together at the end. Well not sure why I didn't realize right away this head needed thread-certs for the hydraulic-lifter to mechanical-lifter conversion it under wen't before I took possession of the car. Sorry Arche I remember you told me that it was converted when we were chatting way before ... I have no clue why I didn't connect 2 and 2 together :lol: :D

#5 Intake mechanical lifter. (sorry for hard on eyes blurry pic .. camera refused to focus)
11901008515_7a3796be45_c.jpg
005 by 71240z, on Flickr

Pulled it out along with related stuff.
11901858926_c6d08f43cb_c.jpg
009 by 71240z, on Flickr

insert is on the left. Cool stuff good quality !
11901862566_26aee9d429_c.jpg
008 by 71240z, on Flickr

Lol, those bad hydraulic lifters had to go sucks they don't make them anymore or it would of been nice to have just replace them for news ones. I agree the thread inserts are really good quality the lifters were in great shape!

lol .. I believe it Arche , and it would be nice to have hydro replacement lifters available :cool: .

Ordered a D21 KA24E high volume oil pump tonight.

11920979014_12789df505_c.jpg

KA24E - Oil Pump by 71240z, on Flickr

Connecting rod bearings came in. (bearings looked good even though the box didn't  :shock:  :?  :| )
Picked up a bottle of Permatex AVIATION FORM-A-GASKET #3 (thinned with 188 proof de-natured alcohol). NOTE: this isn't #1 or #2 .. easier to work with although I like #2 as well. I will never use #1 (Aviation Form-A-Gasket) unless I plan on never touching the part/area again ...
Also a can of Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket.
11939701485_4218b20bf1_c.jpg
026 by 71240z, on Flickr

Measuring cylinder walls with my telescoping gauges. (pistons shall be out for all the recorded measurements..plenty of them ;) )
Hard to hold this straight where you want it and take a picture of what's going on .. lol.
11939742895_92fa1d83d1_c.jpg
012 by 71240z, on Flickr

11939740015_f0b89c0501_c.jpg
013 by 71240z, on Flickr

lock the stop(not to wrench on it) and swoop it out carefully. (edges are beveled or slightly pointed .. not flat like my micrometers).
11939737715_c903ca48cc_c.jpg
014 by 71240z, on Flickr

I like the Aviation stuff......nasty shit though....gets everywhere if you're not careful and it's not easy to clean.....

Been hesitant to try the Spray-a-gasket......is it any good??

Nice ... I do too .... yeah it does tend to get everywhere , and it's a good thing I have shaky hands .. :lol:

Yeah it can be hard to clean off for sure !

I've used it on two or three !? (can't remember exact number)  head-gaskets in the past , and it's worked pretty good I believe.

....Now granted one of the head-gaskets I used it one was not designed for it , but didn't seem to hurt at all or seem to have an issue.... I don't use too much of it and only in thing layers of course. It was an L24 that had a leaky head-gasket in which caused some light pitting in the block off a water-jacket passage... , and I was aiming to seal that area (around number 3/4 cylinder) with the copper spray stuff. It wasn't pitted a "lot" , but enough that I could obsess about it unless I did something with it .. :lol: ( probably would have been just fine without the copper coat to be perfectly honest ! )

Now to think of it ... I used Copper coat on my intake/exhaust gasket with a header ... on my L28 triple Weber engine ... sealed up just fine. Still sealed as of right this very moment , but that's no miracle. .... :rolleyes: :lol:

Real easy to use , and not very messy (on installation) is a plus. Metalmonkey47 pealed off his head-gasket I think a few days ago ... said he used it and it came off real easy. ( He had a bored out engine with a standard gasket , so the fire sealing ring didn't have enough surface to "bite" when being torqued I believe .. :) )

I may use it on my T3 flange as well , but still debating in my head :lol:

I'm not a tech or professional though , so please take that into account :D ;) :cool:

• Like 1

I made the big rookie mistake of not pressure washing off the engine/block before tearing into it (bad call)... I didn't think I would be this far in initially... :D :lol:

Doh !!

Not that I can't do that now ... it's just not preferable.

The breather tube is loose as a goose in a noose (sorry had to).

Anyways will look for some ways to keep it where it's meant to be without popping out.

Hadn't thought passed taking the picture... I'm a wuss tonight.

11972334845_ce7fa95d65_c.jpg
043 by 71240z, on Flickr

such an easy upgrade!!! ive done it to ALL my Lmotors so far 

Yes sir !! and  smart man for doing so :cool:

I just want to be able to say I've bought and installed a high-volume KA oil pump ... :lol:

It may or may not be an upgrade for me since the automatic zxt's came with high volume , but the manual zxt's may or may not of which this engine looks to be !? (not sure since they're different part numbers for both manual and automatic oil pumps + everything kinda bleeds together it looks like..... and will have to look into this hehe :D).

At any rate a new high volume oil pump :cool:

Is that a pump stock for the KA's??

Dammit...didn't pay attention to the page count.... :no:

Pretty sure you're spot on Busta !! , but I'm not a KA expert either so take that into consideration... :ninja: :sneaky: :lol:

• Like 1

by far my fav of your line up dude.

its funny when people take pics of shit like pistons... The pics all look the same to me :rofl:

I saw an ad on Cl the other day for a silverado. Dude did a compression test on all 8. Couldn't tell the difference between pics :lol:   one pic had a slightly different reading (like 2 lbs). Only way I could tell it wasn't the same one.

• Like 1

by far my fav of your line up dude.

its funny when people take pics of shit like pistons... The pics all look the same to me :rofl:

I saw an ad on Cl the other day for a silverado. Dude did a compression test on all 8. Couldn't tell the difference between pics :lol:   one pic had a slightly different reading (like 2 lbs). Only way I could tell it wasn't the same one.

Thanks bro appreciated !

hahaha yeah you're spot on about the pistons all looking the same :lol: (I just like to take pics of them :sneaky:)

wow.. yeah 2lbs variance on a compression test sounds almost like :poop: unless seen with own eyes :D