1971 toyota corona Sr20 swap

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt very many of us here on the Datsun forum have swapped SR20s into Toyota Coronas... theres no way we would know what "everything' would cost. You need to search the SR20 builds here to get a price range that we have and compare it to what you will need for your car. This is no where near a direct fit. 

Expect high dollar. 6-8K easily to start. 

Edit: Hosestop beat me to a price. 

• Like 1

I looked into an SR20, then figured up 8-10k for a proper swap. Another thing to keep in mind is many of the SR20 builds out there have ended up needing a rebuild either before install or soon after. Price a "swap" (~3k for full swap) add custom parts (mounts, wiring, possible crossmember and sway bar,driveshaft, and maybe a steering setup) tack on a rebuild (500-1500 depending on parts available and if you do the work yourself or not) and add all the suspension and braking upgrades. Now factor in how much time you have to work on the car and what work you can do yourself. In the end the cost may not be worth it.

If you decide to do the swap get a thread started once you get everything ready. Would love to see this done.

So does datsun mazdas count. :confused:

If I was building a Mazda and putting Datsun stuff in it, I would not feature it here!

All of my cars on this site are Datsuns. They have engine / suspension transplants, but they are Datsuns!

If you have a problem with my builds speak up, I can feature my work elsewhere! :fu:

• Like 1

6K drive it home ,may not stop as noted ! please look into a beams 2.0 yota motor (ON EBAY 1500) long tail on trans to deal with but all yota 190 hp. also take this subject to other than Datsun projects

if doing a corona, the BEAMS engine would be way better, its already miles ahead of the sr20. I have been wanting to buy a Supra MKIV for this reason, swap the BEAMS 3SG into that car and make it a GT500 replica, since those of you in the know, already are aware that the supra was NEVER RACED BY TOYOTA WITH A 2JZ. it was raced in gt500 with the 3sg beams and the 1UZ v8

EDIT: toyota also raced it with the T engine, inline 4.

I wanna see this build, but yeah.. it should be featured in the Non-Datsun projects section.. that way it'll be easier for me to find it than amongst the 100s of 510 and 1000s of 620 builds.

Dont hold your breath. One post, one sentence members dont ever follow through when asking these types of questions. Id like to see it get built as well... 

Dont hold your breath. One post, one sentence members dont ever follow through when asking these types of questions. Id like to see it get built as well... 

everyone wants to swap everything into everything else in the japanese world, even the god aweful LS1. it gets a little old if you ask me, nobody sticks with a stock engine. I mean I can see why in the 240sx (no offense KA guys) cause the stock engine isnt that great, but I frankly dont really get the KA24 swaps into datsuns, arguable the engine isnt that much better than an L series, and I have built them (probably my least favorite engine ever). before you all say "ohh but its got DOHC and crossflow heads" so? so do alot of engines, that didnt make them better either so what makes a KA so great. then the answer is "fuel injection" well you can do that on any engine for cheaper than the swap sooooooo....... yea.......

everyone wants to swap everything into everything else in the japanese world, even the god aweful LS1. it gets a little old if you ask me, nobody sticks with a stock engine. I mean I can see why in the 240sx (no offense KA guys) cause the stock engine isnt that great, but I frankly dont really get the KA24 swaps into datsuns, arguable the engine isnt that much better than an L series, and I have built them (probably my least favorite engine ever). before you all say "ohh but its got DOHC and crossflow heads" so? so do alot of engines, that didnt make them better either so what makes a KA so great. then the answer is "fuel injection" well you can do that on any engine for cheaper than the swap sooooooo....... yea.......

On the specific topic of KAs they can be had for the same price as a lot of L-series engines. Its also way more powerful than and L-series youre going to find and thats in stock condition. I dont personally see leaving an L in my Dime, but I see the draw of KAs. Its not just a single answer. Its a combination of all those factors you listed. Price, power, attainability, EFI, ease of install... it all adds up to a good swap. 

But youre correct in the fact that everyone seems to want to swap everything. Like 90% of new members (myself when I first signed up) have SR plans. Its ridiculous. 

yes everyone wants to do sr and ka swaps, idk I like the SR engine, i just am not a fan of the KA. and I like the L better than both. If i was gonna go crazy I would do a CA or an RB. but that would be a serious decision, I like original engine series with larger size, EX. l16 for an l20, l24 for an l28.