Hello forum

New guy to Datsuns here.  I have been a honda (cars) and a chevy (trucks) guy until now.  I finally started learning how to do my own mechanic work and realized I needed to buy something older and easier to work on and sell my Honda prelude and Chevy s10 4.3 and never look back. 

My love is fishing and camping and I had a cab over camper (small lightweight pastime) on my S10.  Got really bad gas mileage with that thing on my truck (like 12-13 mpg] and always dreaded watching my gas guage when taking that thing anywhere.

A few months ago I saw this datsun camper on CL and fell in love.  The guy just posted it and I was in luck to be the first one to call on it.  I snatched it up the next morning...  Since then I have put 4000+ miles on it and took a few trips up and down the coast.  It averages 20-22 mpg on the trips I have taken.

Recently a friend of mine introduced me to Crackerjack69 on here and I learned that there is a forum here for Datsun enthusiasts.  So I had to join.  Glad to now be part of this forum!

• Like 1
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking this is the one...

d1-2_zps27af0fab.jpg

d2-1_zpsfce1ef0c.jpg

d3_zps229936d1.jpg

Welcome to the site. Its interesting that you decided to buy something to work on after you sold all your cars and you bought a motorhome... not just a plain truck. Do you have something else to daily still?

Yep thats my rig.  And it has been my daily driver since february.  The thing is suprisingly light weight and it doesnt seem like I am driving anything more than a pickup.  Yep I sold both.  Got sick of the oil leak on my prelude and the bad gas mileage of my v6 s10. 

d1-2_zps27af0fab.jpg

d2-1_zpsfce1ef0c.jpg

d3_zps229936d1.jpg

Welcome to the site. Its interesting that you decided to buy something to work on after you sold all your cars and you bought a motorhome... not just a plain truck. Do you have something else to daily still?

Welcome from the downunder welcoming committee, southern equator asshole, troll, not very nice person according to some people, and, IMLTHO all round great guy :)

I really like this rig!

Any oics of the inside?

Welcome from the downunder welcoming committee, southern equator asshole, troll, not very nice person according to some people, and, IMLTHO all round great guy :)

I really like this rig!

Any oics of the inside?

Thanks.  Ill take some tomorrow and post them

You sold your honda AND your chevy??? You're dead to me......

I am dead to you lol?  No need to respond to my post then anymore right?  No point if you dont have anything nice to say.  Yeah, after doing the intake manifold gasket and spider on my s10 I decided I hated chevys.  I might own a honda again, but it will definetly be a 1.6 and not a 2.2.

d1-2_zps27af0fab.jpg

d2-1_zpsfce1ef0c.jpg

d3_zps229936d1.jpg

No this is my daily.  So far not too much to work on mechanical wise.  The guy I bought it from put alot of work into it.  I would feel comfortable driving this across the country right now.  I dont really look at this as a motorhome.  It doesnt have any weight to it. 

Ha. I was just looking for a thread on here about these yesterday. I see yours is a Chinook. There's a '78 Toyota/Chinook in my area that a guy is selling. I'm going to go look this week methinks. Wish it was a Datsun though. And those campers are heavier than you'd think. From what research I've done, the Toyotas had rear end problems due to the weight. Although, yours is a Gazelle pop-up, and the ones I'm reading about are the Omega/Newport Surely the Datsun will fair much better :thumbup:

• Like 1

That thing is awesome! I'd see about getting some spacers for the back wheels, or getting the adapters to convert it to a dually.

This guy can drive his Datsun to Canby, camp in it, participate in the show, and drive it home! Ha!

• Like 1

Ha. I was just looking for a thread on here about these yesterday. I see yours is a Chinook. There's a '78 Toyota/Chinook in my area that a guy is selling. I'm going to go look this week methinks. Wish it was a Datsun though. And those campers are heavier than you'd think. From what research I've done, the Toyotas had rear end problems due to the weight. Although, yours is a Gazelle pop-up, and the ones I'm reading about are the Omega/Newport Surely the Datsun will fair much better :thumbup:

The guy I bought mine from tore out all the heavy cabinets and rebuilt everything to be really light weight.  Probably took a few hundred pounds off the truck.   

Sweet! Glad you ended up joining. So have you thought about going to Canby this year???? To post your pics, you need a photobucket (or similar) and you just copy/paste the IMG code into the ratsun comment box :D I may be getting that 510 goon today I've been dreamin about! It will need a lot of work. If you wanna come over again sometime, you can give me a hand with some repairs and probably learn a lot about your vehicle in the process :D

Sweet! Glad you ended up joining. So have you thought about going to Canby this year???? To post your pics, you need a photobucket (or similar) and you just copy/paste the IMG code into the ratsun comment box :D I may be getting that 510 goon today I've been dreamin about! It will need a lot of work. If you wanna come over again sometime, you can give me a hand with some repairs and probably learn a lot about your vehicle in the process :D

Yeah I am thinking about going.  I couldnt find the event on the calendar.  Yeah, Id come over and give you a hand...  Let me know when.

• Like 1