Power limits of Subaru R160 VLSD???

500 just for the stubs? Thats ridiculous.

Betamotorsports used to sell them for a couple hundred but then started letting wolf creek racing sell them at a slight mark up.
http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/78123-subaru-wrx-sti-r180-side-axles

WCR also sell a completely built rear cv's with adapters for 900. Just to put that 500 into context lol. 
CV_Axle_Kit_A.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Betamotorsports used to sell them for a couple hundred but then started letting wolf creek racing sell them at a slight mark up.

WCR also sell a completely built rear cv's with adapters for 900. Just to put that 500 into context lol. 

CV_Axle_Kit_A.jpg

I picked up these adapters and put the rest of the kit together myself for under $450. Its an awesome setup.

CV_Axle_Kit_A.jpg

My question was always: why not mill the stubs to adapt straight to the CV, rather than cobble it together with the aluminum adapter?

Mainly because you'd have to use something other than the 930 CV joint...which is what that kit uses. The bolt pattern on the 930CV is bigger than the whole stub axle flange on the Datsun.

The 4140 steel chunk used to make that stub axle set costs about 100$ to start with...so add 400$ to machine them from solid, have them custom splined, then heat treated? Yeah, Jon wasn't getting rich at 500$...which is what he sold them for, not a "couple hundred". I looked into making these myself. There is a LOT of stock removal there..that's a lot of machine time.

There is another solution, but it costs money too.

My question was always: why not mill the stubs to adapt straight to the CV, rather than cobble it together with the aluminum adapter?

This setup is 100% reversible and a 1 hour Idea to install. I suppose a guy could grab the subi CV's that come with the diff and have them shortened, but they would still need some way to adapt them at the hub side.

This setup is 100% reversible and a 1 hour Idea to install. I suppose a guy could grab the subi CV's that come with the diff and have them shortened, but they would still need some way to adapt them at the hub side.

i also have the subie axles that came with the diff if someone wants those as well :)

400RWHP and this R180 stub conversion is all expensive.

You must have a AWESOME 510 and must be RICH$$$$$

Hate to find out you got a stock L16 w/auto  transs in there

I woud say get a Open R180 from a 200sx IRS auto tran and but a Brut Power LSD but Bryron and Jeff Hino(icehouse) go tthe last ones.

R200 can be done but the Gear ratios need to be changed also.

KA24DE-T/5MT...and not that rich haha

so with the WCR kit pictured above, what else will i need for the r180 to bolt in?

It depends, and CV's are not really needed to "bolt it in".

If the newer 04+ STi R180 is what you're after you will need the fancy stubs and a pinion flange from a Datto.

If you get a Datsun / Nissan R180 it will accept your r160 stubs, some diffs have clip in axles but can be made to work.

• 1 month later...