Made a mistake. Can I get some advice?

Alright I bought a set of Enkei rims awhile back for $100. They have both curb rash and dings. Not overly pretty but completly functional. Went to to the tire shop to get some Bfg tires installed. Shit rims don't fit, I forget to check there offset. So my options are as follows.

1. The Enkei rims offset is +46, so I will have to run these. A 1.5" bolt on spacer. Are these even safe? My car is my daily driver and I drive 13 miles to work one way. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-1-5-4x4-5-to-4-x-4-5-Wheel-Spacers-12x1-5-Studs-4Lug-for-Hyundai-/380641732734?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a003e87e&vxp=mtr

2. Return the tires and keep looking for rims that will fit my car. Which can be tough as my budget for rims is $300 and under. And the rims I want are 4x114.3 15x7 or 6 and close to zero offset. Which I search Az craigslist daily for that and never find anything.

Also if it helps my car is a 1978 510. 

Any advice on this would be great.

Thanks.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If youre going to run thick spacers, then bolt-on are the way to go. It would probably be wiser to just get rims that bit though... especially if its 1.5in spacers. You would know best what your rim options are in your area though. If you cant find anything else in your budget then, you have to make due with what you have available. 

If looking for wheels club4Age is kinda a good place or sometimes the guys on Hachiroku.net sell cheaper but it`s harder to search for just wheels..

http://club4ag.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=20&sid=68bdd3ef6ca24da41894a3e37226b1f9

http://hachiroku.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5&order=desc

bolt on spacers are safe IF THEYRE HUB CENTRIC. sure some guys might run non hub centric spacers and

be okay, but the majority of the horror stories of broken studs, wheels flying off, etc are from the people running

non hubcentric spacers.

the link you posted, those are not hub centric.

the purpose of the hubcentric spacers is to apply the load the spacer's hub ring, rather than just the lug studs,

which would/could cause undue stress upon the studs causing them to fail (snap/break.)

surprised mike or tristin didnt catch or mention

these are safer, and cheaper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUB-CENTRIC-1-5-38mm-WHEEL-ADAPTERS-SPACERS-4x114-3-ACCORD-PRELUDE-EV-PLUS-/261055736748?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc8226bac&vxp=mtr#ht_3226wt_1091

$T2eC16d,!)kE9s4,BMVpBQw+yio7z!~~60_3.JP

the thing about running hubcentric spacers is the OD of the hubring on the spacer has to match the ID of the hub recess on the wheels.

the solution for this is to find that ID from your wheels and match the hub accordingly, they also sell slip on hub ring adapters, to enlarge the

spacers (smaller) hub to fit your wheels

Alright so it sounds like using spacers are a flip of a coin. It'll either work or end badly. And the hub centric type are alot more money. So I guess I'll just keep looking for the correct rims instead of running spacers. Thanks for all your help.

non hubcentric spacers, yes those are a flip of a coin.

hub centric spacers are safe and affordable.

it really depends on your budget. the right wheels will cost more than the spacers.

please dont support chinese, knock off companies like rota and xxr.

enkei are japanese and inexpensive, best of both worlds.

• Like 1

Again thanks for everyones help. But one more question. Since I'm just going to have to save up for new rims I'm just going to buy a good set of used tires to mount to my current wheels to get me by. 

So my question is my car currently has 195/60R14 tires on it. And the used set of tires are I'm going to look at are 195/70R14. Does any know if these will fit my 1978 Datsun 510?

Heres what my car looks like with the 195/60R14 on it. 

IMG_20120331_122458.jpg

• 2 weeks later...