New to RATSUN check out my GOON

hey guys picked up my 1971 goon this past november. traded a miata for it. the car my mostly stock except under the hood OBD1 KA24DE!!!! sweet. i had always liked 510's and found one i could get. i would love to get another one, either a 2 door or 4 door sometime in the future, damn solid axle goon. haha. anyways im a mechanic by day, but i work on euro imports and love my goon, no matter how much people make fun of it, i love it. it has a power lumbar/side bolster seat on the drivers side, but god its hideous. the mini mags were really rough so i sanded and polished them with a mothers polish ball and wheel polish paste, which works awesome. i went to a junk yard helping a friend and found a 1981 280zx with complete front suspension/brakes, needless to say i took it all. i cut the stock zx spring mounts off and ground the welds clean. then i took my 510 stuff off and cut the stock spring mounts off and transferred the stuff over to the ZX strut tubes. to hold them up i used.....uhhh 2.0" I.D. split collars from fastenal lol, cause im too cheap for coilovers. its a slow project, currently im painting it OD green and pulling the trans/diff to clean things up a bit. plenty of plans for the future but loving the road to get there. i was driving it a bit before i pulled the diff, and it has a few kinks but nothing major.20121114201212.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

to lower the rear i need new shocks and to notch the floor under the rear seat. i took a rear leaf out and added some 3/4 inch blocks to lower the rear, need to roll the 1/4's though. the front is a bitch to adjust, wish i had the on-car spring compressors, the front can go down some but i need long wheel lugs and spacers. i picked up some 80's riken 14's from ebay, need spacers to fit those bad boys, stupid positive offset.20130307171147.jpg

20121231170655.jpg

Just a suggestion.... Take that short bottom leaf spring and put it upside down on top of the leaf stack, that's what I did on my goon to help keep the spring rate, as they are really weak, soft springs to start with.

• 1 month later...

Its a shame that I didnt realize what I had stumbled upon (Ratsun.net) until after I had made up my mind & sold my datsun. You really should consider Datzenmike's advice, he's never steered anyone wrong.

FYI, sell that BMW if it's an automatic, those transmissions are DESIGNED to fail.

Its a shame that I didnt realize what I had stumbled upon (Ratsun.net) until after I had made up my mind & sold my datsun. You really should consider Datzenmike's advice, he's never steered anyone wrong.

FYI, sell that BMW if it's an automatic, those transmissions are DESIGNED to fail.

yea, im trying to. that BMW actually has a good trans, those blow head gaskets more than anything. actually how i picked it up. lol

• Like 1

Yeah throw that bmw on ebay with tons of good pics and a big long description telling what an awesome car it is and you should have no trouble selling it. Keep the Datto, you'll regret it if you sell it.

its my second BMW bought it the same way, put parts into it labor is free, gotta love that. selling the BMW paying bills, staying datsun strong!! hell yea, just cant get over it, finally saw another 510 driving yesterday i honked and waved no response at all. whaaa

she is down, motor running issues, wont rev over 2k rpm sometimes randomly, found my IACV sticking, but not sure thats everything. ahh, ordering and IACV hopefully soon, im so tempted to carb this thing

• 1 month later...

finally, back in action, sold my bimmer and got a bike with it!!!! on another note, replaced my MAF sensor and the goon lives!!! and man it moves!! made it to a local car show last weekend and it was a huge turn out, the 510 was the only one there among a sea of Z's....i felt special!! haha awesome. Im looking for a grill to trade for, just a plane jane one, nothing special, also looking for a roof rack!! thanks guys if you have let me know