620 4x4 conversion

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Won't double walling the bed that make it tougher to fix dents that might happen on the exterior of the truck?

If he does it by bolting or screwing the sheet metal to mounts he can easily remove the side walls and repair the damage and put the side walls back on

Won't double walling the bed that make it tougher to fix dents that might happen on the exterior of the truck?

Dents can be pulled from the exterior with a stud welder or other means.  The double wall will keep the thin bedsides from denting from the inside when his beer cooler slides around on the trail.

• Like 1

Long night . Got the bed under coated and the inside Rhino lined .

Shot the bed with Phospho first to kill all of the surface rust. Dirty job.......

Now to the panels. After I get the shaping done  they will be rhino lined inside and out before install. 

Pics later . Forgot to take any last night....

p_001.jpg?1

The panels will be clipt to the unistrut and screwed to the upper bed rail.

Dents happen in the woods . The exo should prevent most of them though. The panels will prevent the inside out dents. 

The bed is now a double wall..... 16ga panels  Rhino lined pre inst. inside and out. What a mess.  :sneaky:

Used Nut Certs to fasten panels to the Unistrut. Worked slicker than snot......

p_002.jpg

p_004.jpg

p_009.jpg

p_011.jpg

• Like 2

Yea. It's kinda growing on me. 

At least it takes up less room in the shop.

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Time to finish up the rear bumper and start thinking about paint.

Had my body and paint guy in the shop yesterday to have a look.

I'll be sending it to his shop for the mess , I mean paint. Cant have all the dust around my equipment.

Paints going to be a no brainer as there is very little body work required and it's getting a  (as near to factory ) Datsun blue paint job as possible.

No sparkles on this truck.

I did manage to find door felts and slides on e- slay. $160 seems spendy but , what can one do when working vintage ?????

While the truck is out I will have time to machine the 8 disconnects i'm needing for the EXO.

I'm looking forward to that part of the build.....

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't have the energy or man power last night to get the bed back on . I would have liked to though.

For about the 5th time, the kid has ran out of money. 

So I have decided to go ahead and assemble the truck as is so he can start driving it. 

Final paint and the exo will have to come later as his funds allow. 

Canby  and Blue lake are definitely a go this year....

Other than a few refinements  IE: electronics / tires  and the two aforementioned tasks The truck will be done next week.

Trask is a good kid and he deserves this truck.

He and my daughter are no longer together. So it was basacilly a huge favor for a very deserving kid.

Will I ever offer to to do this again for free????? No.

The rig needed to be built though , just to get it out of my system.

I am planing a 521 for myself along the same lines as this 620 . 

The plan is to build a king cab 521 with a bobbed bed on the same frame and running gear design used on this 620. May go diesel on the 521 , still sketching it out..

As I patterned every part fabed for this truck , the next should be much easier.

Will post up pics of the remaining work on the 620 as it gets buttoned up .

Look forward to meeting you guys face to face soon ...... Boxcar.

0dc5a52443a57522da72.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Well thought I'd throw in an update so no one thinks I gave up........

In April. : The kid ran out of money so I decided to button it up so the kid could start driving it.

Plug the new dash in to the painless kit ( installed )  Plumb the second tank , add fluids and go. 

Told the kid that he should be able to handle this himself........At my shop , with my help . If he needed it............Figured it would take 1 weekend of his time.

Haven't herd a word, or seen the kid since. 

Found out the other day ( through the grape vine ) that the kid bought a Yota 4wd and has been repairing it for the last few months. A YOTA....... :confused:

Now I'm pissed .   :sneaky:

1.5 years into this thing. 

Thankfully I have the title and doc's in my name.

Now what? 

1. I need this 4wd like I need shot in the head.

2. While I love the rig, It's not what I would have built for myself ( IE: the bob'd bed , non king cab, wheel base).

I'm sick to my stomach at this point.

Thinking of throwing the kid a couple of grand for his investment , finishing the rig and selling it . 

Or maybe giving it to my daughter. 

Never again.

• Like 1