Rechroming Plastic Emblems

Looking to get the rear center badge (and front center, maybe other stuff) re chromed since I cannot buy new ones.  Anyone know a source?  There was a guy on Ratsun who sent stuff to Vietnam, but I don't know if anyone has used his service.  Some members thought it was a bad idea all around, but if there is no other options...

Any leads appreciated.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vaccum deposition is the manufacturers method that works.  We can't afford it unless you have an "in" with a shop that is running a large batch and is willing to add you in.  I have no idea of where to find such a place but if I was desperate I would look in the commercial yellow pages.

look up a chrome/plating shop in your area or on yelp.com

i looked up ways to chrome at home, but that is pretty much impossible and illegal.

i feel like perhaps the reason sending parts elsewhere to be chromed is cheaper

is because they might have less strict laws/rules/etc in regards to chroming, which

is super hazardous/deadly to people and perhaps the environment

I sent a plastic grill to these guys and then got a call saying that the grill had scratches on it, and they wouldn't chrome plate it, and they sent it back.

It has to be perfect to be done, otherwise the imperfections will show.

Wesden associates

1345 N. dynamics st.

Suite E

Anaheim CA 92806

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=wesden%20associates%20california&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wesden.com%2F&ei=0X2FUf6JB-vuiQKkk4CoAw&usg=AFQjCNG0AFUZsQWWgsnCfJhBX-24tS-3hg&bvm=bv.45960087,d.cGE

What they quoted me to do the grill was not cheap, so if you decide to contact them, do not react when given a quote, as it likely is going to be expensive, it would not surprise me that you could find a decent used badge for a lot less money.

You could find a shop that does the vapor deposit kind (think reflective plastic on flash light bulb cones).  I check about 2 years ago and they wanted a minimum of $250 to do parts that would fit a certain size compartment of theirs.  Just tossing out that idea.

Advanced Plating has started to do plastics, probably one of the only places in the country to really do it. As far as metal plating is concerned I would go with a shop in Utah called Ogden Chrome. I've worked for this shop and they do fantastic work. They offer free shipping to and from and call with a fast quote

Thanks for those links oldskoolvws.  I will give them a shot when the time comes.  I have seen the chrome spray, and it looks like a good option too.  I will be using Ogden Chrome for my rear bumper for sure since they are kinda local and I hear good things about their work, albeit not cheap.  Thanks for the advice and ideas all.

Kelly

Ogden Chrome may not be the cheapest, but I guarantee that you'll get top quality. Most shops skip a very important process in chroming and as someone that has personally ran the quality control of what comes out, it's all top notch. If you have any questions about them PM me and I can help you out.