Bugeyes Daily Driver 620

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok here are some pics of when I took the truck to San Diego, I hated having to put her on a trailer, but her tags were expired and she had been sitting for about 4 years, she fired right up to drive her on the trailer, but was in desperate need for a tune up

home001.jpg

Here she is after I did a quick tune up on her (new plugs, wires, cap, fuel filter, fresh gas, oil...you get it) and a good washing!

DatsunHome001.jpg

DatsunHome002.jpg

DatsunHome003.jpg

DatsunHome004.jpg

This is what happens when the lube tech at your dealership challenges you to see who can lower their truck the most, He had his 89 S-10 and me the Datto, he started his 3 days before I started mine. He took out leaf springs, cut off bump stops, cut coil springs. All I did was go down to PG Series Trucks and buy some 5 inch lift/lower blocks then went and had some U-bolts made to fit, man was he pissed when the other techs said my truck looked better than his and was lower, if I would have cranked the torsion bars anymore the front wheels would have hit the fenders:eek::lol:

slammeddatto.jpg

I was waiting for some Pictures:D!!!! Truck looks sweet lowered:cool:! Is that the way she sits today?

So what are the plans?

most of the pics im posting are posted in other threads, but I wanted to put them all in one thread, as of right now, she is back to stock height (I moved home to help my parents out, they didnt have a truck and I live in the country, so she is back in "farm truck" status) Once I get another (bigger, smog exempt truck) she's coming off the road for a frame off semi-restoration (gonna restore the engine, and do some slight body mods ala 70's or 80's style mini truck, with Steriods body flares) Kind of like this one from Steroids interview, but I want a metallic Blue, and I want to shave the hooks (off a different bed) and I want to do silver leaf on the tailgate letters 0806mt_03_zinterview_with_michael_l.jpg

So after my second divorce (yeah I was stupid twice:fu:) and my mom's medical issues, it was time for me to leave San Diego (probably a good thing as the path I was on was a really bad one) and come home to the Country life I ran away from, My ex-wife ended up getting my wrx that I worked so hard for and on and I got stuck with an even worse dodge truck than the one in the top photo (ya that one was hers too) So I load up everything I own (a few clothes and about 30k worth of tools, bitch thought she was gonna get them) go to my buddies house where I was storing the datto after I was kicked out of my house, go load it up with the rest of my stuff at my buddies condo and got the hell out of San Diego with datto in tow, fully loaded. So Im up here for maybe 2 weeks, I have the big truck and no job....so I know they are gonna come and get it, I haul off 4 huge truck loads of trash and shit that had been collected for the 15 years we lived in this house, well I had called the bank about the dodge and they said no problem, well come get it...their idea of coming to get it was sneak a tow truck down my driveway at midnight...didn't work out to well for them since i was up, so i gave them the keys got my stuff outta it, but left trash load #5 in the bed:lol:

Anyways, now Im stuck, no car to drive, having to bug my sister for rides to the store got old, I had some money left from work (month long paid vacation), throw a new cat on the datto, adjust the timing, change the oil again and go get her smoged, but in order to do it I had to raise the back end up, they couldn't get it on the dyno to smog it:lol:

The620005.jpg

The620008.jpg

Notice I kept the front end lowered

Driving around with no music can get boring, and people look at you funny when you talk to yourself:lol: So I had these laying around

dattostereo002.jpg

dattostereo001.jpg

dattostereo004.jpg

In order to get those big as magnets to clear the body I had to get 4 2 inch spacers (I put the speakers in the kick panels where the original ones went) I still need to pick up some 6x9's to put behind the seat, 2 speakers just dont sound right, but now I have some music, but people still look at me funny, guess its because I sing to myself:lol:

dattostereo005.jpg

dattostereo006.jpg

and yes I do still have cassette tapes!

Sorry to hear bout the divorce but it will get better in time. Wish i knew you lived in San diego..im now about 15 minutes away from where you lived. Anyways..glad you were able to keep the 620. Working on it will keep you sane till everything blows over. I like how you left garbage in the Dodge as they took it :lol:

Sorry to hear bout the divorce but it will get better in time. Wish i knew you lived in San diego..im now about 15 minutes away from where you lived. Anyways..glad you were able to keep the 620. Working on it will keep you sane till everything blows over. I like how you left garbage in the Dodge as they took it :lol:

Im over it, I kinda new it was gonna happen the day her ship left for deployment, The worst part of it all is I walked away from a $19 an hour job working for the govt, but my family needed me. Here's a funny (well it might be to you guys, wasnt for me at the time) story. I left for Stockton on a friday night at 10pm, I was about 10 mins south of Tulare, Ca when I heard a tire start to go down, I was praying that it was on the datto, it would have been a hell of a lot simpler to change than the dodge, well, luck was not on my side, the right rear tire on the dodge blew the tread off the side walls, no big deal, went to get the jack outta the dodge, there was no jack, now I was pissed, I had to empty the crap outta the cab of the datto and get its jack (oh yeah, it has its original jack) go to jack the dodge up, went to get wheel lock key (care to guess what the dealership didn't give me.....the damn wheel lock key) So, its 3am Im 4 hours from home stuck on the side of the road in a caffinee fit rage (thank you Monster BFC) so I calm down, look in the back of the dodge and it hits me, you fucking idiot, you have your entire tool box in the back of this truck, lucky for me what I needed was in the one top box closest to the tail gate, the nut removers and a ball peen hammer, so I beat the hell out of the center cap on this wheel so I can get my stripped nut remover on the wheel lock, get the wheel lock off, change tire, fucking spare was almost flat, I limp it to the nearest gas station and fill it up, I was on the side of the road for almost an hour, in the dark changing the tire, while people saw the datto and honked and I got the thumbs up, or middle finger from some. I will be back in San Diego this Novemeber for a wedding, maybe we can meet up

Did you guys know that in 1979 Datsun listed as optional equipment a 40 channel CB Radio? I didn't until I came across the 1979 Sales Brochure, anyways being the redneck I am and I live in the middle of no where, where thousands of trucks go buy daily, and most of us dont even use our cell phones because a cb radio is cheaper, I reinstalled mine...:lol: Right now its a cheap radio shack one I bought years ago, mated to a Wilson trucker antennea

dattostereo007.jpg

dattostereo009.jpg

Handle: Bugeye (had one in my subie in san diego and my love for vw's)

Future plans for this is get another wilson trucker antennea and run doubles, and a cobra 29 Radio

Sorry about your divorce dude! But Its good to hear you moved on and your over it. Did find your story of the Tire Very Funny:) Had 3 blowouts myself in 2 days on the Freeway just 2 weeks ago:lol:! That CB is Old School:cool: Would like to have one of them myself!

Mike, I was gonna ask the same thing:eek:! I dont think he would do it a 3rd time:confused: Or would he???

She is sitting back at her stock height, I put the overloaders back on, but I refuse to put that big ass bumper back on it, I'm on the hunt for a set of Vector Racing wheels right now, I it comes down to it I will have Stockton wheel make me a set

dattohead004.jpg

why did you raise her up again?

She is currently being used as a work truck to haul garbage and shit to the dump, and with the blocks she couldn't handle the loads, So for now she is back stock height, when I get this 67 dodge truck im looking at she will start her transformation

when I got the truck back from my dad I noticed there was a piece of carpet under the floor mat, when I asked why he said "oh theres a little hole in the floor"

dattofloor003.jpg

That "little" hole is right where my heel would sit when I pressed the clutch in

So out comes the parts rig

Scrap002.jpg

I removed this section of the floor from it

dattofloor004.jpg

cleaned up where the hole was and layed it in for a test fit

dattofloor001.jpg

now i know my welding/prep skills need work, but about 2 hours after I did this I couldn't see for about a day and a half, I guess my helmet isnt dark enough for mig welding

dattofloor005.jpg

I also did this with my cousins cheap harbor freight mig welder, it had a speed control for the wire, but no control for the heat

When I take the cab off the frame for the rebuild I will do the floors right, but Im pretty proud of myself for doing this on my own truck....FYI this is the parts rig that Fineline got his bed from

It looks good on the air cleaner lid, its "old ford blue" I was thinking of doing the engine that color when I rebuild it, the valve cover is only darker because my batteries were dying in the cam and the flash wouldn't work, valve cover is going on tomorrow after I adjust the valves

dattoenginepartspainted002.jpg

dattoenginepartspainted001.jpg

I want to silver leaf where it says Datsun OHC

Let me know if I am crazy or not on this idea. When I rebuild my L20 I want to bore it out to 0.40 (a full 1mm) and use the the Standard size 280zx turbo pistons. Since I have asked and it's been said in other threads that the pin heights are the same. I want to use my A87 peanut head I pulled off the parts rig, it appears to have been shaved once, I checked it and it is flat and true (not warped at all)

dattohead002.jpg

Like I said "appears" to be shaved, I dont know if when it was cast to got fucked up or not.

Im not sure on what valves I want to run, I need to pull these and measure them (how do I measure them btw?)

dattohead006.jpg

I do know that the very last cam tower needs to be replace (its scored pretty bad) and after I do that I will have to have them line-bored to make sure they are true, I not sure if I want to use a 94a grind or a 91 grind cam from web cam inc. Both of them are the same price

The specs on the 94a grind are

Valve lift- .430/.430

Duration- 248/248

Duration @.050"- 230/230

Improved mid range and top end, use in stock or modified engines.

The specs on the 91 grind are

Valve lift-.450/.450

Duration- 260/260

Duration @.050"- 238/238

Strong mid and top end power for street / strip.

Im leaning towards the 91 grind, but Im not sure because I still have to smog the damn thing.

As for the exhaust I still have the Exhaust Manifold off of the A87 since I know that the stock W58 head has different exhaust ports, and the mani for the a87 has the tube for the heat riser for the damn thermostatic air cleaner

So am I crazy or do I sound like I have somewhat of a plan? :lol:

Well today was a pretty boring day around the house so I decided to adjust my valves, man the intakes were way the hell off, so I adjusted them, and like an idiot i crossed #'s 3 and 4 spark plug wires, truck wouldn't idle for shit and backfired alot, after I figured out my mistake it was smooth sailing from there, runs like a top, tomorrow I am gonna get a new exhaust gasket and some new nuts for the manifold to the pipe (I only have one, and one hell of an exhaust leak) So since I had to remove the valve cover I replaced it with my painted one

dattoenginepartspainted.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

well, I hit up the boneyard today, got a complete unbroken glove box door, and gauge bezel(sp?), installed them, went to go for a drive and my dad said I had no brake lights, so Im heading back out to the yard tomorrow to take apart a few turn signal switches for the contacts:lol: