1970 510 Wagon: Chunk

As you'e pulling away from that light.... I love that sound! You're right, definitely sounds mean. Good choice sticking with the 1 7/8" pipe. I have a couple mandrel bent 2 1/2" pipe sections, but I think I may just wait on putting a new exhaust system together till I'm ready to swap. Mine can't be that restrictive... and it already sounds pretty good, similar to yours, but less agressive. I'll upload a video on my thread sometime.

I have a similar problem to your ashtray problem! When I have my sub box in (it's ridiculously big, it fills the whole backseat because it can't fit in the trunk lol) and I brake super hard, it leans forward and thunks back loudly when I get stopped. Very obnoxious lol.

Bummer about the transmission... but gratz on geting it running!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a similar problem to your ashtray problem! When I have my sub box in (it's ridiculously big, it fills the whole backseat because it can't fit in the trunk lol) and I brake super hard, it leans forward and thunks back loudly when I get stopped. Very obnoxious lol.

and kills u in the event of a accident....

Enough guys this is my thread.  

Anyone driving a shitbox 510 with only lap belts and barely functional brakes isnt worried about safety anyways. Its like riding a motorcycle only less safe.  Now seriously no more custom speaker nonsense in this thread.

638990-datsun-crash.jpg

Jrock: wasnts trying to be rude. Sorry.   :rolleyes:

thought I would document my plan for the rest of the week.  After about 15 miles of shakedown I realized the transmission needs done before I drive any more.  Sucks but no use whining about it. (pun, lol)

I have a little bit of help from the guy I work for and he is good with transmissions, we have rebuilt his together in the past so I have some experience.  I ordered countershaft bearing, main and rear bearing and seals all in a kit for my 63a dogleg. Depending on when they come I will either be rebuilding transmission tomorrow or friday.  Syncros are good but I have access to some spares, doubt I will put any in though. Will be sure to update with pics in order to make my tranny-loving-internet-God Datzenmike proud.  Seriously though Mike, if you see this thread thanks the info you put out about drivetrain, its really helpful

I am guessing front countershaft bearing, or front main is bad because 4th gear is the rattley-est/rumbliest and 1st has a whine when engaged, and those two (1st and 4th) are the gear sets closest to the front bearings.  We will see! I have access to a .83 OD i will probably stick in also.  Wish I would have done this while it was out... :(

Local datsun meet this saturday, so I will be able to get some good pics then. Thanks for checking in. And sorry for being a dick Jrock. lol

zBcMRfL.jpg?1

100miles on her so far. :)  Got some more wiring done, and tidied up some stuff like fuel lines, bled brakes again, checked driveshaft.  

No leaks! I will need to re tune the carbs, set the valves ect again soon, but its looking good so far.  I would say she is pretty much back to daily driver status besides the drive train issues, but the tranny will hold up until the bearings come in and differential get done in a few weeks.

Nice intro thread, missed this one!

Good work on doing the important mechanical stuff first and not concentrating on the bling.

Thanks! For me enjoyment of these cars comes from driving them and getting them out on the road. Do what you can to make it look good but the real goal should be to drive the sucker. This is my daily driver and the goal of the build is exactly that: to drive daily. My car was only off the road for about 33 days. The l-series are good motors and I wish I saw more of them in the 510 community.

Also I am joining the US Navy next month so I am spending the last bit of my summer getting the car ready to take anywhere the navy sends me. I wont have a lot of time to work on big stuff while I am in, so thats why I did the motor, going to do trans, ect ect. before I go.  Later on the stuff like rims, tires, trim and accessories comes easy since the hardest part of that kind of work it tracking it down and paying for it.  It takes zero time to install a locking gas cap for example, but it takes a full set of tools and a months time to build and install a motor.  Forward thinking ;)

Still working on Chunk.  She is a burnout machine....

Definitely back to DD status, although I will need to do some tweaks still as I drive. 250 miles on the new motor

I got a hood. Old one flew up on the freeway (my fault).  First real car wash in at least a decade, polished her up a bit but nothing fancy. Replaced the flexible fuel lines from float bowls to nozzles, zip-tied loose wires, routed fuel lines and replaced plastic fuel "T" with a brass one and clamped all connections, mainly been working on checking/adjusting everything and getting rid of all the temporary "jimmy-rigging".  Need a new smaller battery with new terminals and leads, anyone have suggestion on size/brand? Optima worth it?

Front main leaks, but not enough drip, may fix, may just live with it; we will see. Other than the front main the motor does not leak. My radiator is 3 core, but I was still running a little hot based off the stock gauge, so I checked mixture and ignition. Timing was at about 20* at idle and 42* total, must have got accidentally tweeked.  Turned down to 12 at idle and 34 total running cooler now. Kept carbs a little rich just to be safe until I got my O2 installed.

Pics:

Shot of fuel line routing.  Need to have my valve cover professionally painted. :/ came out like shit when I attempted wrinkle paint

gubuKS3.jpg

Ashy hood. 

hvXeylL.jpg

Bath

4ZGsKfF.jpg

The body work is corncob-straight...

t6qTri2.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 1

Rebuilt a buddies 71b yesterday. Had some help and used it as practice for when we do mine this week.  Modified the notches in the syncro rings so they sit closer to the slider for better high speed shifts; plan to do the same to mine.

941929_10151613090418856_700735484_n.jpg

This was about halfway though reassembly.   Rebuilding transmissions is a lot more fun than engines in some ways.  This is my third box, and its always exciting to think of ways to get the next part off or the solving the next problem.  Will be back to let you guys know how it goes when i do my 63a

Unrelated but officially 30 days until I leave for Navy RTC. Thats one month to have my car ready to take anywhere.

Pics from z-cafe breakfast

0TwhDZp.jpg

1tyYwT0.jpg

MSTE3iv.jpg?2

Also I getting a 3.9 diff pumkin from a 1.6 roadster from AZhitman so I will have more diff parts to play with.

Seriously thinking about Canby.  I thought I was going o be busy during that time, but my car is ready, and I will be available. Still need to decide if its worth the 2500 mile drive. Maybe next year.

• Like 1

Had the day off so I adjusted the valves, did a compression check, fluid check ect.  Compression good, numbers are 175, 170, 172, 169 with trottle shut.

I got ambitious and decided to get my radio working.  I got an RCA jack and some wire and wired in a ipod port. Its not perfect but it works.

Ratsun budget too, the sum total of the parts was something like $1.45 US.  (That does not include the speaker I had to purchase) If you already have a working radio but want aux in do this.  Its like two snips, 4 soldered joints, a presto.  Sounds surprisingly good.  Radio itself doesnt work yet because antenna isnt hooked up.  But who listens to AM anyways?  I may do a how to write up for this, we will see.

Pics:

This part I did wrong.  The blue wire is the output of the main pot, so the way its wired now gives me no volume control besides whats on the ipod. Think i am going to take it out to fix tonight. Should have tied into the red wire instead the blue, since red is input into the rheostat and blue is output.

bd46H1V.jpg?1

This is the little RCA.  the resistor is because I have mono speaker output but want the whole sound. With stereo output you dont use the resistor. 

TCRmgDn.jpg

baby woofer with a tweeter on top.

SwdgJpG.jpg?1

my choice for jack location

pC6kp2f.jpg?1

in the car

cLVi0nl.jpg?1

video of it working

Looks OEM, but its secretly better. I hate seeing modern head units in these cars.   :sick:

Bearings for trans came in.  Next post will probably be a tranny rebuild post. 

• Like 2

good luck getting that dogleg transmission back together...they are a pain

Just got it rebuilt.  Pics soon.  Sucked balls compared to normal z 5speed.  Major balls.  By the way sorry for making  you see all my updates on DD the realm and here.  I post too much lol

As promised.  

Did the trans today.  Works great, but wasnt fun to do.  Solved all the issues I had before and so far havent created any new ones (knock on wood)

Pics:

7RBag9C.jpg?1

62f76AQ.jpg?1

TvlmtZI.jpg?1

WuQQkEc.jpg

WuQQkEc.jpg?1

v1av56e.jpg?1

QwjE02b.jpg?1

l3jkAjc.jpg?1

Dc9lhPy.jpg?1

wkSfbl2.jpg?1

Got the trans back in the car and drove home 35 miles from the shop. :)  very pleased

Left a lot out of the pics just because there comes a point in the project that you have just had enough and want the damn thing back together and forget to take enough pics. Important thing that wasnt shown was I roughed up the cones on the gears with some fine emory so the syncros could grip.

Also, rebuilding this 63a SUCKED compared to a regular long tail z trans... seriously shitty job, would not recommend.

NIce lookin calves

Yeah that 63a was basically slightly more simple design than 71b but quite a bit more trouble overall.

Many of the clips are a PITA to remove and most of the parts are just NLA.

The kit I ordered from Transmission Exchange in Oregon had about half-the parts correct.

Rest just wrong size or NLA.

Getting the bearings off the Countershaft took a large effort.

Hope it holds up... :)

Had the day off so I adjusted the valves, did a compression check, fluid check ect.  Compression good, numbers are 175, 170, 172, 169 with trottle shut.

I got ambitious and decided to get my radio working.  I got an RCA jack and some wire and wired in a ipod port. Its not perfect but it works.

Ratsun budget too, the sum total of the parts was something like $1.45 US.  (That does not include the speaker I had to purchase) If you already have a working radio but want aux in do this.  Its like two snips, 4 soldered joints, a presto.  Sounds surprisingly good.  Radio itself doesnt work yet because antenna isnt hooked up.  But who listens to AM anyways?  I may do a how to write up for this, we will see.

Pics:

This part I did wrong.  The blue wire is the output of the main pot, so the way its wired now gives me no volume control besides whats on the ipod. Think i am going to take it out to fix tonight. Should have tied into the red wire instead the blue, since red is input into the rheostat and blue is output.

bd46H1V.jpg?1

This is the little RCA.  the resistor is because I have mono speaker output but want the whole sound. With stereo output you dont use the resistor. 

TCRmgDn.jpg

baby woofer with a tweeter on top.

SwdgJpG.jpg?1

my choice for jack location

pC6kp2f.jpg?1

in the car

cLVi0nl.jpg?1

video of it working

Looks OEM, but its secretly better. I hate seeing modern head units in these cars.   :sick:

Bearings for trans came in.  Next post will probably be a tranny rebuild post. 

cool mod....

.still think its your rear end that making the majority of the noise in your video .....listen, it slowly builds as the speed does....transmissions typically whine in relation to engine rpm as u go through the gears...yours seemed speed related....not rpm related.... but still none the less nice to have new tranny bearings too...

cool mod....

.still think its your rear end that making the majority of the noise in your video .....listen, it slowly builds as the speed does....transmissions typically whine in relation to engine rpm as u go through the gears...yours seemed speed related....not rpm related.... but still none the less nice to have new tranny bearings too...

Yeah i know. :) there was a 4th gear rumble and 1st gear whine hense the rebuild. Diff is still whining like crazy, but i expected that. Trans is done though, and done right so at least thats some reassurance.

Well been working on getting everything "working"

My turn signal switch arm broke completely off and I was getting sick of hand signals. Had a switch I got from a 620. The connections were different so I swapped the electrical portions, and now I have working high beams and turn signals again. Also got wiper blades, installed wiper arms, and swapped and modified a 620 washer pump AZhitman gave to me so that it would fit a 510 washer bottle. On the list to get working still: horn, reverse lights (after rebuild they wouldnt turn off so I unplugged the switch), dome light, locks and speedometer.

I would like to wire up a map light where the little lens by the radio is. Need to find a suitable switch first though.

Ordered a bunch of stuff offline for Chunk too, dome light with lens, LEDs for the dash light, air shocks, a set of water, oil and volt gauges and some other stuff. Plan on soundproofing the interior with new carpet soon, so I ordered stuff to seal surface rust in the floor pans

CdFkEHV.jpg?1

NLgINbk.jpg?1

lol :w00t:

GYYGLZN.jpg?1

Also cool pic at my neighbors house. '73 Ford 400, Gran Torino. Our cars have a combined total of almost 750,000 miles. Wagons rule. icon_cool.gif

jdc31gR.jpg?1

Thanks for looking will be back with more.

ninja edit: Anyone know a cheap place to buy 2.5" id U bolts for a wagon? Should I just get them made somewhere local? I know its been covered but maybe someone has a good u bolt source that hasnt been posted. I can make blocks easy, but the u bolts I am clueless on. Thanks guys.

Got some screen door as a temporary filter to keep out the big shit.

1yuO3sH.jpg

Washed, buffed and waxed the car again.  Who says you cant polish a turd??  Seriously though, might as well work with what I got until I can get a real paint and body solution.

Also painted my wheel centers, and rattle blasted the front apron.  No more acne for Chunk.

At the car was with u/Toon.  This will be the before to compare rusty, blemished apron to.

w8tmTLw.jpg

cUrZ4Np.jpg

25w7kDV.jpg

0YBWKNu.jpg

Dont have much going on this week so items on the list to do are: Rebuild 3rd member, have speedometer calibrated, alignment, strip/clean interior and seal floors in prep for new carpet, contenue to get everything "working", install water and oil gauges and LOWAR :devil:

We will see how I do with such a tall list.