1970 510 Wagon: Chunk

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

kits still available to rebuild these thirds?

No kit but carrier bearings, pinnion bearings and pinion seals are avaliable from rock auto for the h190. Thats essentially what would come in the kit and i already have all of those. I have three donors: the one in the car, a roadster pumpkin (basically identicle to the wagon diff), and a 4.3 iron housing diff from a truck. Plan combine parts from the two 3.9 pumkins to put in Chunk, then take the spare spiders and put them in the 4.3 diff and weld them up for a spare drag/track diff.

I like the AUX mod!

I did a write up in the how to section if you want to see how to do it.

Another wagon play date.  Picked up a rear end, drum to drum..  Going to be prepping this one with my new brakes and painting cleaning ect then swapping the whole thing when I go to install lowering blocks, instead of trying to rebuild pumpkins.  Still plan on putting spiders from the goon diff into the truck diff just as a spare, but thats later

mM953W6.jpg?1

WAGON POWER!!  Try doing this in a 2dr.  :fu:

GBCY0bI.jpg?1

Well been working on getting everything "working"

My turn signal switch arm broke completely off and I was getting sick of hand signals. Had a switch I got from a 620. The connections were different so I swapped the electrical portions, and now I have working high beams and turn signals again. Also got wiper blades, installed wiper arms, and swapped and modified a 620 washer pump AZhitman gave to me so that it would fit a 510 washer bottle. On the list to get working still: horn, reverse lights (after rebuild they wouldnt turn off so I unplugged the switch), dome light, locks and speedometer.

I would like to wire up a map light where the little lens by the radio is. Need to find a suitable switch first though.

Ordered a bunch of stuff offline for Chunk too, dome light with lens, LEDs for the dash light, air shocks, a set of water, oil and volt gauges and some other stuff. Plan on soundproofing the interior with new carpet soon, so I ordered stuff to seal surface rust in the floor pans

CdFkEHV.jpg?1

NLgINbk.jpg?1

lol :w00t:

GYYGLZN.jpg?1

Also cool pic at my neighbors house. '73 Ford 400, Gran Torino. Our cars have a combined total of almost 750,000 miles. Wagons rule. icon_cool.gif

jdc31gR.jpg?1

Thanks for looking will be back with more.

ninja edit: Anyone know a cheap place to buy 2.5" id U bolts for a wagon? Should I just get them made somewhere local? I know its been covered but maybe someone has a good u bolt source that hasnt been posted. I can make blocks easy, but the u bolts I am clueless on. Thanks guys.

fyi axles in goons are not 2.5 diameter...... there smaller the truck rear end (same) has 2.5 axle tubes .... mine on the goon are 2.00

edit nvmnd... i see u got a truck axle .... fyi v.2.0,  its prolly a different ratio of a truck axle.... i believe 4.36 while a wagon rear end is a 3.9ish i believe...higher r's

edit v. 2.1...nevermind on all accounts ... replied before i saw all the facts u presented.....my bad .... pm the mods to delete my post ...lol

edit...v.6.0...... i guess the axle tube stuff is relevant ..... i personally would stick with the 2.00 axle tubes from a goon .... you get the better ratio and smaller tubes...go find a hard body or something with a 3.7 ratio and bolt that in the stock housing ......done,   then throw the 4.3 set in the other goon housing ..... no having to fuck with ubolts or plates for u bolts....there i brought something relevant to the table... albeit my personal opinion ..... but prolly the best of all worlds...ditch the truck housing

oh ....and ..

Goon looks sick....that's def relevant

LOL jrock. Came home at half past midnight to see all the edits.  Kind of had a shitty night, but reading that cheered me up, so thanks for the laugh!! :D

I just measured the u-bolts that are on Chunk now and the axle I have laying in the garage and both are definitely 2.5.   :huh:   Yes, I do have a truck pumpkin, but dont have any housing or any other truck parts besides the pumpkin.  Yesterday I got a complete drum to drum axle from a goon, the whole thing, you see in the back of my car. Thats a 3.9. And I had a roadster pumpkin (basically exactly the same as wagon) but decided not to use it at all cause of worn gears. confusing I know.

The drum to drum axle came out of the mustard goon in the pic above and is "good".  What I am going to do it put my brakes on it, change the pinion seal and main gasket and paint everything. Then once its all ready I am going to do a straight swap of the whole axle and put in new shocks, blocks ect.  It will basically be a stock swap.  Hope that clears things up.  :rofl:

double check with a set of calipers......i thought that too but then built my four link brackets and they went clink clink clink....1/2" slop.... maybe some other goon owners could chime in ........maybe mines special but my 521 and goon axles are not the same axle tubes ... everything else is the same but no the tubes...i even went as far as checking another goon i knw about that sitting but not for sale ..... was the same .... 2"  axle tube....

fuck me ....EDIT.v.hopeitsthelastone.... so a 521 is 3"  and a goon 2.5......lazy ass just went and checked the truck frame im working on....i knew it was smaller....but yes goon is 2.5.......so everything i mentioned about sticking to the goon housings is true ....... just any where i said goons are 2.00,  think 2.5 and where i said truck axletubes are 2.5 ...think 3.00.... they are different i just was numerically wrong.... same thing i tell the ladys ....i said its like a can ... i didnt denote between tall boy can or 6 oz soda can ... i just said can...lol

but yes i would stick with the 2.5 axle tube housings that way u wont need to fuck with other parts.......any semi supply or "chrome shop" should be able to make u a set of u bolts....

you should think about a gear swap to like a 3.7 from a hardbody .......they're plentiful and make for good highway cruising speeds...and most times serviceable with no parts ... ie put in and no whine

side note i just went and poked myself in the eye.......for all the misinformation and eager beaver posts ....

Wiped my ass, AKA cleaned up my rear end. lol. Woo hoo looks good, really hope this sucker works better than the one I got. Sure looked better. 

Pulled plug, oil was decent looking, minimal fuzz on plug magnet, normal looking, no needles or cage material. Axle side-play and pinion flange play is very minimal so I didnt even crack into it. Got it basically free, and owner said it was good, local friend so theres no reason he would lie, Im guessing its good!! Stuffin her in tomorrow.  

Heres what I got.  Axle, truck pumpking, and some new drums. Plus i have the one in Chunk now

W1qSUfq.jpg

0jAt2nB.jpg

3ARJQOK.jpg

thanks for looking.

Well the axle's in.  Also 3" drop blocks. Lotta good shit happening but a lotta bad shit too.

Got my speedometer back. 200 smackers American for the repair (ouch!)  Shoulda just lived with it but oh well, at least its accurate and I can measure MPG with the trip now.

I kinda fucked myself on axle install too.  Installed some 3" blocks and air shocks, but there was a problem with the shock's air lines since I forgot to bring one of the parts to clamp the lines to the schrader valves, so I rode home 30 miles from the shop with the pumpkin resting on the center bump stop and no shocks.  Well, friction and heat melted the bump stop on the way home and eventually it was flange on floor, and shaft on floor.  NOT the sound you want to be hearing going down the road. Imagine baseball card in spokes, but from hell.  Luckily it didnt start rubbing on the body untill like a mile from home so  I dont think I fucked up too much. But will be checking out tomorrow.  Planned on tubbing the tunnel anyways so really I am only worried about the DS and pinion flange.

So itemized breakdown of good and bad shit of today:

Good shit :thumbup: :

-No more diff whine/howl/noise and/or leak

-New soft rear brake line and super firm pedal again.

-Moar low

-Speedo that works+LED dash lights

-Quieter interior

-Did I mention no more noise? seriously its like a different car without the whine.

-Stance looks great.  

Bad shit :poop: :

-Too low (is it possible?!)

-No shocks yet

-Driveshaft rubbing

-Expensive speedo repair

-e brake cable rubs on shock, exhaust rubs on shocks, basically everything touches everything its not supposed to

-New drums were too tight to fit with new shoes so I had to put old parts back on, and they still stuck a lil coming home

-May have totally compromised my reliability and fucked new diff.

Doesnt matter, still happy and had a fun time with some buddies tonight.  The look+no more noise makes all the bad shit worth it.

Pics:

pK8Sioz.jpg

ljY5EGa.jpg

0GX6AJe.jpg

BXuy6zz.jpg

U0WDT2e.jpg

Installed some gauges.  Did not want to run any gauges but if I plan on cross country trips they are only prudent. still, I just think they look a lil tacky.  Also the gauge lights dont match my new LED dash lights so double tacky.  Now that the gauges are in I see that my engine is running perfectly fine and my old temp gauge is on the money.   Oil pressure not hooked up cause I am leery of the plastic line but I will get it installed eventually

worst pic in history, sry.

RsrsMhM.jpg

Also playing around with wheel ideas.  The wheels I have now are Carol Shelby Supercars. Knock offs of apache IV,  one piece wheel with two piece look, 14x7, 0 offset fit. They look okay, but i got them with the car and they arent really my 1st choice. I like mesh but some real apache IVs or IIs would be awesome

Buddy of mine had some turbines he offered to give me. Fit ok, have perfect offset for the rear, also 14x7 but more offset.  would fit great with stretch and a little lower in front.  Way too ugly of a wheel though. I took off paint to see how the spokes would look polished.  Ugly rims.

c0Z5jZZ.jpg

EO5vLPC.jpg

then we got silly with the 10" wides on stickies.  :rolleyes:

RTVXah8.jpg

gsFhBma.jpg

Surprisingly the front fit great and only rubbed a little on spring perch, but not fenders or frame

I could keep the CSS wheels I have and run a spacer in the rear to get the look I want, but I wouldnt mind some proper wheels.  Suggestions?  

Pulling interior tomorrow.  Next week is my last week before I join the Navy so I want to have the car nice before I go.

Here's my last ditch effort to get some of the work done on the Chunk that I wanted to get done. I leave to join the military on Monday, and it seems like I completely ran out of time to do all the things I wanted to do on the car. Shit, lol.

One more day working on my goon tomorrow to finish up carpet, then Saturday is our local "Desert Datsun" breakfast.  Will be dropping off the car Saturday afternoon at a friends to have them hang onto for a while untill I can have the car shipped to my whatever port of call I get.

So, onto the work I did: I pulled the interior, stripped tar, scrubbed floors and POR15'ed almost all of the interior.  I am almost done laying carpet, I need to get some jute and some window flashing in the AM then I can glue the main peices down, but most of the hard work like rear arches, and the big peices are cut, just not glued down yet. I made up middle section and glued down carpet along the "walls" of the back passenger floor, but I am still working on cutting the front

before

ovIT7G3.jpg

Mini freak out moment here when I thought i saw rust.  Thanfully there was no rusted through portions, just dirt. Hardly any surface rust and only one tiny bit of flaking on on the very front of both front floor pans, but nothing the por15 can handle.

SmWLgWH.jpg

ABQuPDB.jpg

b60Ru1x.jpg

KSnWnJx.jpg

ulVvz7e.jpg

This last one is just a little show off.  I am a pretty decent with a standard sewing machine, but I had never used a serger before, even though I inherited one years ago; never had a good enough reason to justify threading the son of a bitch.  So going anti-clockwise from the right you see how I adjusted thread tension until I got it right for the material used.  Not a true bound edge but certainly much nicer looking than a raw edge. Sry for my gross leg in the shot

RDdZvOL.jpg

edit: I will post pics of finished front carpet with everything back together on saturday night, along with pics I will take at the DD b-fast that saturday morning.  That will probably be my last post for several month, until the car is back in my possession.

Okay, done with interior fer now..  There's a lot left undone but I did what I could and I am fairly satisfied.  Tomorrow is Desert Datsun's owners club breakfast, will be back with more pics then.

nNN5Guv.jpg

42m8qc0.jpg

pnn862n.jpg

I1Uujp9.jpg

I got this bezel and turn signal knob in the mail a few days ago.  Really cleaned up the ignition area.

FZ9J4sh.jpg

Dirty nasty s14 seats.  Wish they matched the back, may have them recovered later.

Au5tAHK.jpg

Heres just a reminder of what it looked like before

N7ALIVO.jpg

Thanks

Say, that yellow goon that keeps showin up in this thread.....had one just like that......was sold in Phoenix around 89-90.

Followin this one

• 2 months later...

Been a few months.  I joined the US Navy and I am now in Charleston, SC.

Chunk is in good hands back in home in Arizona, but I am going to have her sent out here soon (about a month or so).

Plan to have the body work and paint done while I am studying here, would love any suggestions on reputable body shops in SC. Also any suggestions on auto-shipping companies that do coast to coast cheap would be greatly appreciated.

In the meantime I will be collecting parts and building up a fresh paint kit with things like door seals, tail lights, weatherstrip ect.

So basically this is just a check in post, saying I am in South Carolina now.  Not sure how many people have Datsuns in Charleston but I would love to meet up with anyone as soon as I get my car.
Thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys.  I found a carrier, Chunk gets picked up Tuesday and gets to South Carolina on the 1st or so.  That just a couple days after my birthday, and my phase up (tristin's probably the only one who knows what thats all about lol).   

Plan for the car when it gets here is really just to drive it.  I know I said I wanted to have it painted, but no time, too expensive, so I may just work on little stuff instead.  I am going to have the VC powder coated for sure and my spare bumpers straightened and chromed. Other than that it will just be back to DD status.

Also, I found some old pics of my car before it was mine, thought I would compare for you all to see.

As you can see, I have kept a lot of tid-bits from past owners.  Shift knob is from at least 3 owners ago, mirror is two owners ago, wheels were from Geoff. Cool history.  Makes me wanna find some mud flaps with a logo on them, and I wish the last guy didnt throw out the stock seats. Also wish I never would have left hood unlatched then hopped on the freeway... lol

(OLD PICS)
Tj9ACcZ.jpg
Uv3Jixd.jpg
aXuIrXv.jpg
PWQYBuL.jpg
TJUYBzy.jpg
Tz3MsUj.jpg
LknY9hp.jpg
U247rou.jpg

Next update will be reunion 

• 2 weeks later...

WOOHOO!!  Chunk made it!!   Tires all had air, oil, gas and water where they should be.
The stupid airshocks were completely flat and I had to reconnect one of the air lines so I could get home without rubbing a hole through the floor, but shit did it feel good to hear her run again.  Ran great all the way home.

Progress is going to be slow, seeing as I now have no garage and I am in the schoolhouse for about 13-15 hours a day.  

Worst pic ever but I was too excited to care.

m2lH1tl.jpg?1

Parked by some AMC, 

zdLyYYd.jpg?1

Got Chunk out on the road again today. Put some new gas in.
Not 100% happy with the way she's running but by most peoples standards I would say the motor is running very strong.  Not sure if my dissatisfaction is warranted, as in something is actually wrong or if its just my natural urge to try and improve things.

Either way gunna try to tune up this weekend, timing, carbs, check out all my connections ect but should be good to go after that.  Planning a couple hundred mile trip to Augusta this Saturday.

Baby Chunk.

TM4UX5I.jpg?1

• Like 2

PhqoZqM.jpg?1

olIqFVE.jpg?1

Made a wagon friend.  Not sure who drives it but he parked next to me.  I gave Chunk a bath, adjusted carbs with a the help from a fellow parking lot craftsman and his screw driver (used the old school tubing in ear method to balance.) and I leaned them out a bit. Didnt have a timing light, but it makes good power and its not pinging so I think Im fine.  Check the tire pressure when I gas up tomorrow and I should be good for the +200mile trip! Will be back with pics.