1974 260z 4.6DOHC

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:rofl:  

These cars really handle, so hopefully this motor isn't that much heavier than the L24 that was in it.

We weighed the L24 at a little under 425 lbs, the SBC with aluminum heads, intake, water pump, and block huggers about 95 lbs more. The modular 4.6, whether SOHC or DOHC is WIDE. The SBF 5.0 is a nice fit using the fox-body double sump oil pan, and narrow width, clearing the steering shaft. The LS1 is a strong performer at about only 446 lbs, that is until you have to rebuild one, or pull the heads to change the cam. :rofl: 

I love this project:

You might consider swapping in the irs center from a thunderbird and build custom halfshafts. You probably already have all these things figured out given that the motor is already in the car :)

Definetely watching with great enthusiasm...

Thanks for watching!! I hadn't thought about an IRS from a thunderbird that's not a bad idea I'll have to start looking into something like that. I have a LSD R200 that should hold up for now. The 4.6 is a great motor it's kinda funny how people hate on them or think its rocket science working on them.

I should have some new pictures up tomorrow

• Like 1

That's funny.

were I to do it again, I could see 5 hours being reasonable

when you consider spending 10 hours and cost of parts vs paying a shop i'm sure it makes sense to others as well.

Thanks for watching!! I hadn't thought about an IRS from a thunderbird that's not a bad idea I'll have to start looking into something like that. I have a LSD R200 that should hold up for now. The 4.6 is a great motor it's kinda funny how people hate on them or think its rocket science working on them.

Yeah they aren't rocket science, thinking back on my crown vic, the coils gave a slight issue once, but you'd be surprised how often the boot can be changed and that fixes the misfire... rather than spending the money on the whole coil. This of course wont be an issue for you, yours arent coil over plug

Did a little research, and on Sullivan's performance site the Mark VIII DOHC 4.6  all aluminum (the one cast in Italy by Fiat) weighs in at 425 lbs. This corresponds favorably with the weight we got of close to 425 for a stock L24. This should give great handling with a LOT more power. Looking forward to see it rock!!! :thumbup:

It rained last night so i didn't get to do as much today as i would of liked mostly because i'm a sissy and didn't want to get all wet crawling under the car this morning so i worked on a few of the little things that need to get done.

Made an EGR block off plate.

8871250159_6e033ccefd.jpg

This is the cluster from the Mark Vii

8871847292_14345131e2.jpg

Started taking it apart because i think i can make the tach and speedo work in the stock holes based on what a guy did on HybridZ.

8871853070_34a10f6941.jpg

And a pic of them all seperated.

8871854254_a95031b547.jpg

do it the easy way, AND hotrodder way and send it out the fenderwell... or at least down the outside of the subframe rail things (whatever they're called)

It would be a bit easier on the passenger side but I would either have to leave ther driver side in the standard location or do even more work than I am doing to get the driver side outside the frame.

I think tomorrow I'm going to start digging into the trash can full of Mark8 wiring. I also need to mock up the hood and work on a ton of little projects.

I got the clutch bled, its super smooth and looks like it has plenty of throw. I also got the injector wiring laid out and I'm about to start digging into the stock mark8 harness. I cut the hole in the practice hood, it fits pretty good. I'll try and get some pics but I'm at work and not sure I can upload from here.

Thanks for all the encouragement! I haven't gotten as much done as I would like but I'm just trying to tie up all the loose ends. After looking at the exhaust I had made I felt like i needed to make it just a bit longer so the muffler shop could get to it. And I welded in an o2 bung in each side.

9018564529_c305a55e1a.jpg

9020796244_888486e294.jpg

9018571911_c1a34826f7.jpg

I was originally going to buy a really fancy aluminum radiator and throw a summit dual electric fan on it. But after reading a bunch on hybrid Z and other sites along with some advice from friends I'm going to just use the 3 core that was in the car.

9034895263_ff06a46ebe.jpg

And A bunch of people recommended the 2 speed single electric fan from a Ford Taurus. So i went to pick n pull and found one for 30 bucks. The shroud is almost a perfect fit. I just need to make a few brackets and it should be money.

9034897251_1de94c4014.jpg

• Like 2

I wasn't going to show the hood till i had the hood scoop on but what the hell. Here is the mock up hood cut out. I wish i could of made it fit under the stock hood but it just isn't going to happen.

8969285872_01afb42bb7.jpg

8968098755_874f990236.jpg

8968102185_65b02de9cc.jpg

These are work in progress pics, I don't have a finished picture yet. Also this is not the hood that will be used with the hood scoop. And for those that are pissed i cut up a hood, the nose of this one is all bent to shit and not worth repairing.

What year Taurus?

If I remember correctly the Taurus fan you want came only on the one's that had the 3.8L V-6. Years were like 91-95. I remember that the low blow side used a 50 amp relay, and the high blow side had about twice that requirement. A lot of off-road guys used this fan. I believe the reason that Ford used such a high CFM fan on the Taurus/Sable was that the FWD  3.8's with their aluminum heads liked to blow head gaskets.  :frantics:

Worked on the car a bit today. Like always I got started on a few different things but didn't have everything I needed to finish any of them...

I started building the bracket for the fan.

9086284129_49e8e7fedd.jpg

I used 2x 1/16 flat bar that i found in a scrap pile at the local metal yard. TIG welded together.

9088505372_8f48d9f34f.jpg

9086297047_e776d04c51.jpg

9088522836_42975ab2ea.jpg

9086302905_3734201873.jpg

And finally started to dig through the mountain of wiring. We have separated the stuff we absolutely don't need from the harness.

9088508112_007aa2fa8d.jpg

It is Dupli-Color 500 degree engine paint DE1641 - Grabber Green(Lime). I don't have a pic right now, i'll try and snap one tomorrow. I get it at O'Reillys it sticks great on most surfaces.

thanx for the heads up! i matched pretty good to my powder coat

EBD21316-3065-4312-80B6-4F9828A3934A-236