Headlight Upgrade?

qletsinger

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

most of the HID set ups on ebay arent real HIDs.

if one were to consider doing that, they should read up on the subject

i can find and post some links later

I guess my post didn't post last night.

As wayno said there is a relay for choosing hi or low beams and a 10 amp fuse for left and right sides. Power goes to the headlights and the relay grounds either hi or low to turn them on. The 720 uses sealed beams so HID won't fit unless you get replacement lamps with removable bulbs. HIDs are not recommended because the extreme brightness is not shaded in any way like projector style lamps and shines in every direction including on coming traffic.  Projector lamps cut the beam off horizontally shading the upper half and only allowing light down in front of you.

I would replace the lamps with those with removable bulbs and run a higher wattage or higher output Xenon lamps.

Beware E Bay lamps and bulbs like the plague. Anything that says HID 'like'... just ignore. Colored bulbs (blue) are a joke and any coloring just reduces light output..... just ignore. The price should tell you they are not HID $20??? give me a break. You need wiring and ballasts and won't get a true HID system under $100. Ya get whats ya pay for.

I guess my post didn't post last night.

As wayno said there is a relay for choosing hi or low beams and a 10 amp fuse for left and right sides. Power goes to the headlights and the relay grounds either hi or low to turn them on.

Yes there is this relay, but if it is anything like the 620, then this "relay" is only switching the power from the lows to the highs. All the power is still trying to go through all the extra wiring under the dash, through the on/off switch, through the high/low dimmer switch. This "relay" does not take the load off of all those components. They are still causing power losses that drastically affect the brightness of your headlights.

However, you can install a pair of proper relays under the hood near the battery that when wired properly, will take the load off of those components that are causing extra load(power losses)

Not exactly. Battery power goes to the fuse box, to the light switch, to the lamps. the other side of the lamps goes to the relay which grounds either hi or low. The hi/low switch does not handle headlight current, it only turns the relay between hi and low beams to ground them.

• Like 1

I have the sylvania performance lights, and they're pretty good, they're more of a whiter light. And quite a bit wider range too. Not much more in price either. Oh! And i also have two pro comp 55's with 100 watt bulbs in em. I can see about an 1/8 of a mile ahead of me with no problem.