How do I remove the old Channel Felt on my new 510 4dr?

So I bought my project, a 1971 510 4dr like I used to drive in the early 80's.  I got all the weatherstripping and now it's warm enough to get to work on.  I started removing the old weatherstripping on a rear door but am now stuck on the channel felt and how to remove it.  I am assuming the inner door panel has to be removed but after removing the plastic trim on the window crank there is no bolt/screw to remove it.  How do remove the inner door panel without destroying things?

A play by play on the steps to do this weatherstripping would be nice.
Thanks, Mark

Datsun5_zpsff4e689e.jpg

DATSUN5102_zps9b67f58c.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on the new car. It that the VG car from NY?

Anyway, the door handles and window crank handles have a clip behind them.

It looks like this.

$(KGrHqF,!q8E-ZQgmTEkBP8lhdC8Wg~~60_12.J

You can bend a paper clip to make the end a small hook and reach in and pull the clip or buy a special tool like these.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=datsun+door+handle+clip&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=door+handle+clip+tool&_sacat=0

Congrats on the new car. It that the VG car from NY?

Anyway, the door handles and window crank handles have a clip behind them.

It looks like this.

$(KGrHqF,!q8E-ZQgmTEkBP8lhdC8Wg~~60_12.J

You can bend a paper clip to make the end a small hook and reach in and pull the clip or buy a special tool like these.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=datsun+door+handle+clip&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=door+handle+clip+tool&_sacat=0

Or you can take the no cost option of using a wipe rag, working around under the door trim until it catches, snagging the other end and pulling.

Quik510, your are correct about it being a NY buy (from Ebay in January).  Whats "VG" car you refer to?  Thanks for the tips, I'm off to try them.  Any other suggestions on making this weatherstrip project a success are welcome!! 

Quik510, your are correct about it being a NY buy (from Ebay in January).  Whats "VG" car you refer to?  Thanks for the tips, I'm off to try them.  Any other suggestions on making this weatherstrip project a success are welcome!! 

What engine is in your car? There was a red V6 VG30 powered 510 on ebay from NY a few months ago. Maybe not the same car?

It must be the same car.  It has a 6 cyl from an 80's 300zx with custom exhaust.  I'm planning on making it more of an original 510, a daily driver without the boytoy ad-ons so the exhaust will be calmed down to something more civilized.  The paperclip hook trick worked on removing the handles to remove the door panels, now I hope they'll go bak on.  I'm in the process of coating the inner doors with spray rubber sealer and adding some Fatmat sound insulation to help with the tin can effect.  The same will be done with the interior floor before the jute and carpeting go down.   

It must be the same car.  It has a 6 cyl from an 80's 300zx with custom exhaust.  I'm planning on making it more of an original 510, a daily driver without the boytoy ad-ons so the exhaust will be calmed down to something more civilized.  The paperclip hook trick worked on removing the handles to remove the door panels, now I hope they'll go bak on.  I'm in the process of coating the inner doors with spray rubber sealer and adding some Fatmat sound insulation to help with the tin can effect.  The same will be done with the interior floor before the jute and carpeting go down.   

Yep, same car. The VG30 is the engine code for the V6 engine in your car. Do some research on the VG30. You will find all kinds of great info on this awesome little powerplant. It make about 165 HP in NA form. Nissan built this engine for many year and it powered a lot of their vehicles. They progressed this engine up to a VG33. Some have built them up to VG34. Lots of good stuff out there. 

Glad the paper clip worked. 

Looking forward to following the progress on this car. How about starting a build thread?

Re-installing the door handles is easy. Install the clip onto the handle first, then hold it in position over the knurled stud and just pop it on. As mentioned, install the large plastic washer first between the door panel and the handle to keep the clip from messing up the door panel.

Napa used to sell a mid 60's chrysler channel felt that fit perfectly as a replacement for a 510 very resonable I can not remember the part # for it. As for a handel remover tool I just bent a small brass brazing rod to hook the clip. You could use a piece of a coat hanger also.

Eddie