clutch upgrade

ssnapz

My stock napz 24 clutch can't handle burn outs and cookies, I know there's a better flywheel that lets me run aftermarket clutches. What flywheel am I looking for and what clutch. Car year and model, I don't know all the codes. Thanks

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Z24 has the largest pressure plate (PP) at 240mm. It has about 400kg of clamping force and the part number 30210-10W00

The '84-'86 300zx turbo also has a 240mm pressure plate with 600kg of clamping force (an increase of 440 pounds) and is part number 30210-P9600. Just use your Z24 clutch disc or a new one...30100-P9201

@mike, quoting is a pain on my phone. I don't think 50% more hold is enough. I have a hd Sachs in my truck with the lip milled to .012 instead of .006 and in a brake stand 2nd gear spins clutch instead of tires. Every other stick I've owned would stall motor before slipping clutch. And I had a 78 Chevy on 38"s that I could walk sideways in 2 nd down the street. I want a clutch that can hood power on my motor cuase I'm nowhere near satisfied with 150 hp.

My stock napz 24 clutch can't handle burn outs and cookies, I know there's a better flywheel that lets me run aftermarket clutches. What flywheel am I looking for and what clutch. Car year and model, I don't know all the codes. Thanks

@mike, quoting is a pain on my phone. I don't think 50% more hold is enough. I have a hd Sachs in my truck with the lip milled to .012 instead of .006 and in a brake stand 2nd gear spins clutch instead of tires. Every other stick I've owned would stall motor before slipping clutch. And I had a 78 Chevy on 38"s that I could walk sideways in 2 nd down the street. I want a clutch that can hood power on my motor cuase I'm nowhere near satisfied with 150 hp.

The Z24 is barely 100hp/130 torque and the stock clutch is more than enough to hold this. What makes you think you have 150 hp?  Your's has simply beem abused to death is all. Of course it slips it's cooked. Milling the flywheel surface down won't change the clamping pressure.

Spend the dough on a stage 1 Exedy/Daiken. GREAT reviews all around. Average is about $300 for the set. I got one for my LZ, but I haven't gotten the motor in yet, so I can't speak for it myself. 

I run an exedy stage one with a 240mm flywheel and love it. Fully built l28 with 4.11 gears and 9.5 rear wheels the ACT pp and standard turbo exedy disk were slipping like crazy if I tried to push it off the line and even at the top of the rpm range. The exedy has been a dream though, can't make it slip, no chatter, clutch feels great. You will be happy with it I'm sure

The Z24 is barely 100hp/130 torque and the stock clutch is more than enough to hold this. What makes you think you have 150 hp?  Your's has simply beem abused to death is all. Of course it slips it's cooked. Milling the flywheel surface down won't change the clamping pressure.

I agree 100%

Motor has mild cam, header, and Holley 2 brl. Stock flywheel surface is .006 higher then wher the pressure plate mounts.

Well that's news to me. Nissan doesn't mention this when suggesting the flywheel surface be milled to flatten it.  0.006" is the thickness of a piece of paper and has no effect on the clutch. Who told you this? the machinist who suggested you pay him to mill it?

It'll take more then a cam and a Holly to increase any motor's hp by 50%. Even more so on a Z series motor Realistically you are probably nearer to 120.

Nissan doesnt mention it because its  :poop:  :rofl: 

I would check the clutch for contaminants, uneven surfaces or even glazing. Beating on the clutch doing burn outs or w/e it's easy to glaze up the clutch and then it will just get worse and worse as it begins to slip more. Also easy to have oil or w/e get in there and reduce the gripping force as well. 

The clutch has 10k what about the pp? Old and abused pp can also reduce clamping force. 

The engine doesnt make big power even with your mods I think Mikes estimate is generous. There isnt enough power there to cause the problems on a properly functioning clutch imho. 

Hp estimate is rebello's. full clutch kit was put in 10k ago with motor change. I could have mydecimal wrong but I don't pay for machine work so he's not trying to get more money. What about the valve in the line right before the slave, doeosnt that dampen the clutch, should I pull it out

No its a jy motor so I don't think anything's done inside. Brian told me with what I have its around 150 to 175 and I know its more then a stock ka and those are 140. I'm very abusive on my truck so I want more strength to handle me more then the motor and I might turbo in the future.

Rebello didnt build it and you havent dynod it so no one knows actually, everyone is just guessing. Based on other peoples dyno'd builds though its safe to say your not where near that power. Shit we all wish it was that easy... 

Go with the exedy stage one, it will hold 3 times whats your making now. For under 300 bucks too, can't beat that. 

Go with the exedy stage one, it will hold 3 times whats your making now. For under 300 bucks too, can't beat that. 

Yeah....good for about 320+ ft lbs of torque...more than enough

This is the Exedy Stage 1 with the 240mm disc....<....6 bolt flywheel.....Z24 etc

exedyclutch.jpg

Takes a bit more effort to depress the clutch pedal though....lol

Exedy or right....much larger springs compared to the stock app.

clutchcomparison.jpg

Larger throw out bearing rides against fingers....according to their tech info 

cl33.jpg

cl22.jpg

• Like 2
you havent dynod it so no one knows actually, everyone is just guessing.

THIS.

I thought my L20B was doing okay (never owning an L series before I had no idea) and thought it was making good power. Hit the dyno, 52HP. WAM

And it's not a J/Y motor. 

• Like 1

Yep thats the one I'm running now, installed it in like July. Really impressive price to performance ratio. 
335592_10151097742393063_408305107_o_zps

Ya metal never know, your motor still sounds bad ass though, L series ftw  :devil:

Sounds like I'm goin exedy. And look at the flywheel above you can see the mounting surface is lower then the disc surface, that's the part that was doubled in depth on mine. I'm waiting for the Jr college buy me to fix there dyno, then my stubborn ass will believe you guys on my hp, right now I more go off of what I race against and their stock power and weight to judge mine. And I find it hard to believe 120 hp in 2900 lbs can beat a 7 sec 0-60 porche suv.

And look at the flywheel above you can see the mounting surface is lower then the disc surface, that's the part that was doubled in depth on mine. 

I don't think it's lower than the rest of the surface....just has a different 'finish'

pizza_zpsde41ac1e.jpg