bought my goon tonight :)

Hello everyone, my name is zach. i joined the forum about a week ago cause i was planning on buying a 1978 510 wagon. Sure enough i ended up getting it tonight! payed 2300 for it and i think its very sexy. I need to get a paint job for sure, contemplating rattling canning or roll painting rustoleom. Or going to maaco, or plasti-dip. Still up in the air along with what color  :rofl:. I took some pictures with my phone in a parking lot on the home so ill post 'em. 

0321132318_zpscc68bd23.jpg

0321132318a_zps9c036e8c.jpg

0321132318b_zps4de05a63.jpg

0321132319_zps996bbd23.jpg

0321132320_zpsfae09327.jpg

Hope those work haha. anyways just thought i would share these with y'all and introduce myself. Im open for any suggestions, but keep in mind im not very mechanically inclined so baby me with what you are trying to say lol. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote macco if you got the exta cash for it, they have the new guys just outta trade school painting the cheap jobs, but a couple runs is fine if it`s all one solid color... Oh and i like the OG blue but bright orange red to match the engine might be cool.

Just say no to primer black.

Hope to see it out at a meet , with its brother with another father again..

Back in the olden days..
datsun522.jpg

Nope never was mine but,,  it is in fact the very reason the car on the far side of it was bought,,, it was just visiting when Punkin 210 was running some parts for me and others to Portland area  and traded me shipping for a drivers side seat belt , ( and a magazine with a feature on his truck in it )  out of the green parts car..I believe ,, yours on right ,,  still had the original motor and 4speed but had just got a weber at time of picture.

The car on the far side is my sons A10 warthog,, build thread below ,, clickity clickity

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/36659-doodies-new-datsun-now-fat510s-79-a10-warthog/

• Like 1

tried to start it tonight and when i would give it some gas it would die. so i popped the hood and when it would die it would make a popping sound from the carb.... any idea what might cause this? i was hoping that its just struggling cause its 29 degrees out. after i heard the pop though and noticed a little golden thingy (looks important) hanging there i got concerned. also there is, what looks like a drain uncloger looking thing with just one little metal wire hanging out of it just sitting in the engine bay near the carb not plugged into anything. any help would be cool.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Vacuum from carb to dizzy and that should be it, maybe the choke came loose? That used to be my car, I got the engine, tranny and driveline, the shocks, the rear ones are air and the connection is under the gas flap. Tint was a pain and all the light sockets got grease. If you decide to sell it, hit me up and I will see what I can do, I wouldnt mind getting her back. That motor/tranny came from Alan Carter (old NZ autocross legend) and Da Pumpkin and I dropped it in and she ran like a raped ape. Matt put alot of elbow grease into her tho. BTW! leave the top white! it will keep it cooler in the summer.

Here she was when I had her:

IMG_20120519_084339.jpg

• Like 1

Nice to finaly meet you!! i decided that it is the vacuum pump. if i pump the gas peddle ten or so times before the first start of the day she starts up no problem. i dont plan on selling it haha i love it to much. besides the vacuum pump and the gas pedal falling threw the floor itruns extremely well. taking it to canby if your going to be there :) i plan on doing the body red, leaveing the top and wheels white, then doing a red and white rising sun on the hood

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I seen parts in your hand at Canby ,,,,,,,,, but i don`t seem to see any updates in which they are attached to vehicle... Maybe i should just hit the report button and see if the pics or ban rule is still in effect around here.

you saw me carrying around these bumper brackets... thank god for kim haha great guy:

0618131157a_zpsfb42d767.jpg

0618131157_zpsead26182.jpg

0618131157b_zpsa7687bf2.jpg

then my friends dad and i got this sexy bitch in there, i love it! 

0618131158_zps5d11342d.jpg

i have had this steering wheel for a while and the new stereo/speakers

0618131158a_zps08e432b2.jpg

i still have yet to completely clean up from canby, been to busy catching up on hours at work haha

0618131159_zps94e6ef7b.jpg

i even got a model shot on my wagon ;)

0609130920_zpsc9750f39.jpg

• Like 1

Could have done without the last shot :wacko: ,,,, but the steering wheel is cool as hell.  Does the horn work ?  It was good you made Canby ,, it really does inspire you as to what parts are easily adaptable ,, and to run specific problems by others that are smart in the ways of Datsun........... That and it`s a super fun event.

Elmer we are missing you at the BBQ man , if you were to put $14. bucks in the bank every week starting now,  you could fly out and you know Ratsun  could and would totally set you up for Canby weekend..

i totally appreciate that last pic :thumbup:

nice ride too!

FYI,  that`s not pineapplehead that is some random dude he conned into taking risque pictures of ,, probably with a promise of a treat.

• Like 1

so... i painted my "grill" black, i think it looks way better! i definantly need to touch it up and redo the gray as well

0623131743_zps1c518ca3.jpg

i also got me a sticker! yaaaaay!!

0623131638_zpsad7c8dd7.jpg

i bought some 2' lowering blocks also yesterday.... im pretty excited to work with them, going to flip the springs too