Well, it's time...

qwk_snd

My poor 510 has been sitting in the corner of my garage collecting dust for a few months now.  I haven't been worried about it over the winter, but now that the weather is getting nice out, I'd like to get her fixed and on the road again.  She blew the head gasket just shortly after I bought her, so I pulled the head, slapped on a new gasket, put it back together and hoped that the head wasn't warped.  Well, she started up and purred like a kitten while I let her idle for 15 mins or so.  She maintained a temp of about 180 the entire 15 minutes, so I hopped in to take her for a drive and before I even got to the end of my driveway the temp had shot up to 240 or so and started running like ass again, so I'm assuming the head was warped and that it blew the gasket again...  It's got an L16 motor with 240z flat top pistons, U67 2.0l Ed Hale ported head with cam, so I'm REALLY hoping that the head isn't trashed.  Do you guys think it's salvageable?  What steps should I take for me to take to get her fixed?  Do I need to have the head machined?  Can I even afford to take any material off of the head with it having flat top pistons?  What do you guys think?!

IMAG1002_zpsc3397902.jpg

IMAG0997_zpsab658321.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shave it and use 2 head gaskets.

Cometec makes thicker gaskets too.

Car looks sweet.

Get that sumabitch runnin!!!

Two head gaskets?  For real?  I know this thing has more compression than stock because of the flat tops, do you think that would make a difference in head gasket reliablilty?  Also, if I bought ARP head bolts, could I torque them down tighter?

I would get yourself a good straight edge and check to see if the head is warped yourself. A machinist will charge you anywhere from $40-$60 and it will take him 5min. Pick up a thicker gasket if you need to shave the head a bit and no... torquing down the head bolts will not fix a warped head. 

I would get yourself a good straight edge and check to see if the head is warped yourself. A machinist will charge you anywhere from $40-$60 and it will take him 5min. Pick up a thicker gasket if you need to shave the head a bit and no... torquing down the head bolts will not fix a warped head. 

I know that torquing down the head bolts tighter won't fix the warped head, but will it keep this from happening again in the future after the head is fixed?  Where can I get a ticker gasket?

Just go with stock torque specs man.  If you think they aren't torquing right, then use the arp head studs. it will ensure proper torque is being applied.  If you clean the bolt holes out for the head in the block really well then it should be fine.  Over torquing will not do you any good.  If you get the head fixed (if thats the problem) Then stock specs will suit you fine. 

Just go with stock torque specs man.  If you think they aren't torquing right, then use the arp head studs. it will ensure proper torque is being applied.  If you clean the bolt holes out for the head in the block really well then it should be fine.  Over torquing will not do you any good.  If you get the head fixed (if thats the problem) Then stock specs will suit you fine. 

Right on, sounds good.  Now, where do I find one of these thicker gaskets?

Just ordered a gasket set and a copper spacer, now I just need to get the head pulled and have it machined!  She'll be going again in no time...

I'm at the same stage as you man, started pulling the head today but had to stop because my sister needs help moving -_-

Did you run a straight edge across it? You have me curious. But really I am just writing to say, This is a freakin sweet 4-door! Love the color. Looks really clean. I think I like 4-doors more than 2, but I am probably a bit biased.

Did you run a straight edge across it? You have me curious. But really I am just writing to say, This is a freakin sweet 4-door! Love the color. Looks really clean. I think I like 4-doors more than 2, but I am probably a bit biased.

No, I haven't ran a straight edge across it just yet, don't have one, but I guess I could go buy one tonight.  Thanks for the compliment, she is really clean for her age!  SUPPOSEDELY only 39,000 original miles, the previous owner SWORE by it, but I think its more like 139,000...  lol

• 3 weeks later...

Any time I have taken motors to my machinist I either disassemble it, or they do before they do any milling. I highly doubt any machine ship will mill the head or deck the block while the internals are in place. If they do the dis-assembly, there will obviously be a charge for the time it takes them.

And this is a general question I'd like to throw out as I am only familiar with alum head and alum blocks. Do iron blocks have the same chance for warpage as the head? I dont see anyone talking about checking the block for trueness.

I gotta ask where you got the Ed Hale head from.He lived down the street from me in Lakeside,Ca. Nice car by the way.

The head was on the car when I bought it!  I got the car from San Diego

It was probably in an ally, behind a dumpster.

Is this head not worth a crap, or what?

Arp head studs have a different torque than stock head bolts. The specs should be in the box.

Awesome, thanks!

And you dont have to completely disassemble it either. Just pull the cam, cam followers, springs clips and lash pads. You can leave the valves, springs, and retainers in.

Awesome!  Thanks a lot man!