Timing issues

My 620 is having some issues with timing and it needs adjusted. It needs more advance, BUT both the adjuster on bottom of distributor and on top of distributor  are all the way advanced, if i move it retarded AT ALL it doesn't run so Its right on the threshold of running now. Also even if I had more adjustment my dist is millimeters away from hitting motor where it wouldn't be able to advance at all.. At low RPM the CARB backfires HARD, at higher rpm the exhaust backfires slightly. What do I need to do to get more adjustment? I tried jumping the plug-wires one spot advanced then retarded the dist but then it wont even turn over!! . PLEASE HELP>   

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would pull the distributor out, it can be in any position, but TDC won't hurt. Have someone grip the spindle with pliers and hold it while you loosen and lower the oil pump. Once oil pulp is out of the way, reach up and support the spindle from underneath and with help lower slightly until it disengages the worm gear on the crank. Turn one tooth counter-clockwise as seen from underneath and push back up in place. Have your helper hold while you reinstall the oil pump and tighten the bolts.

The spindle and the dizzy shaft will now be 9 degrees more advanced from where you were before. The dizzy body will be positioned the same but the rotor will be advanced. You should be able to get the range you need now.

or just move wires one spot over in direction of advance. #1 plug wire can b at any point on cap as long as firing order is right.
I tried jumping the plug-wires one spot advanced then retarded the dist but then it wont even turn over!! . PLEASE HELP>
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok I pulled oil pump and tried this.... But when I tightened up oil pump the shaft wedged in there the wrong way. So I took it back apart and carefully tightened it back up, but the top of the shaft was sticking out too far on the distributor side of things. So I took it back apart and looked at shaft and the gear had moved down the shaft a little ways from wedging in there the wrong way. So I got a socket and hammered the gear where it was supposed to be, and reinstalled it to close to where I remembered it was positioned. Now it wont start, it just backfires out of the carb or the exhaust and never really starts. Im assuming its that Im SUPER advanced now...Is there anyway to just start fresh? Ugh im so frustrated right now!  :frantics:

Yes, you can start fresh. Set motor to TDC according to crank pulley and timing mark.  You can also remove spark plug from #1 piston and throw a flat head screw driver in there to make sure its on the compression stroke.

Then start from there....  To bad you're six hours away mang id shoot over and help out

• 3 weeks later...

Set to TDC. Pull dizzy out look in hole. You must have the spindle in this position. Note that the left side half moon is smaller than the right. This assures that the dizzy will only go in in one position.

distributortiming.jpg

When you get the spindle in this position and the oil pump and the dizzy bolted in, the plug wire dirctly above the rotor is NUMBER ONE go counter clockwise 3, 4, 2 you are so done!

put it to TDC asa your supposed to. so the Tang is 11.25 or the 11 28 as I mostly call it. Zero on the crank.

take the dist out. rotate it 180 deg so youll get the full movent and wont hit the motor. turn the rotor till it locks down with both the timming adju top and bottom close to center you should be able to get the rotor on #1 plug wire(or put #1 plug wire there).

if it points inbetween 1 and 3 this could be a mis matched matchbox set up meaning the pedastal is the incorrect one for the dizzy you have. to fix this you move the tooth on oil/dizzy spindle one tooth. in the disrection you need to go.

But since your avatar say you have 76 620 I assume its points. and it the correct one. Maybe you install it off a tooth.

photos would help at TDC and show us what you got

or watch from part 1 to get a better understanding on how to line up motor