V8 521 hope I did it right

1fstdat

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The raidator is under the bed, it has a narrowed 9" ford and a 4spd stock master and slave worked well, the air cleaner has about 1/2" of space with the center inner support cut out, the idea was to keep the out side stock looking, dont think it will be a rocket but it should drive like its on ice any time of the year!! the headers where hard to build because of the way the motor sits in it to keep it under the hood without cutting any sheet metal they are 1.5" primaries that go to 2" they exit above the tires and go down the inner fender well. I did all the work but narrowing the axles and the water line, and it only took six years to almost complete. As for the bed cover its a 1 of a kind Pace Edwards Roll Top Cover, a little bit s-10 and some sweet talking. working on disc brakes this week got to take it for a test drive.

DSC01733.jpg

• 3 months later...

Well after my disc brake conversion that for some reason took a long time to get working right, I got to drive it for a few days, hell I even got to load all my tools in it and drive it to work this week and true to any 30+ year old project car, I have replaced the slave cylinder, altanator, clean all the connections on the truck, pull the dash apart to fix the fuel guage, every night this week I have had to fix something. I will put some pics up later tonight. I put 205/45/16's on the front and 245/50/16's on the back with silvarado rims, I love the way it looks. Let me tell you guys its fast, 2nd gear will get you to 50+mph and in no time at all, if you want to burn out... just let the clutch out in 1st or 2nd and stand on the brake and gas, My buddy has a turbo bug and I can do a NHRA pro street burn out that will make his bug look like a stock 40 horse. Next is paint, my uncle in portland had a 521 new in '71 and wrecked it shortly after, he made a tralier out of the box and sill has it, it looks like new. I know a Chevy motor in a datsun... If I would have found you guys sooner It might have been diffrent.

Nice build!! A suggestion: if the body is straight, maybe leave the stock paint for a true "sleeper" truck. If You do have to do body work, maybe add tint to primer like Ray and Jason have done for a very clean, older "patina" look.

Question: It looks like You put some kind of gasket sealer between the header and the gasket. Was the header leaking and if so just what material did You squirt on there? I have a leaking header that I might try that with if it is something that doesn't burn off.

Thanks, for the good words a Datsun owner always needs those... If I paint it it will be stock the paint that it on it buffed out great but the hood is red, I do have the org. but its bent where the hinges go, flew up on the freeway.

The sealent is muffler putty from NAPA its made for sealing exaust systems, joints and headers works great but dont get any on you or you will wear it for a week. The pictures may be tomarrow its charging now.

Hows that radiator under the bed cool for ya? I'd like to see how you did that.;)

B3:blink:

Its a VW Scirocco radiator with Junk yard fans on it, cools ok so far but I think I will go with a bigger one this summer because in this cool weather its runnig at 200-210 little on the hot side I think.

jontruck005.jpg

Dont have a good picture but you can see the 1.5" line's running back to the radiator no holes on the bed.

the 350 came out of a caprice cop car (roller lifter) those guages are some of the other parts I took off it, the bad part is that I thought about not putting them in the un cut dash, I did the whole conversion with out cutting sheet metal... it hurt a little but oh well. The bad prt is that the only one that works is the volt come to find out.

MoparVWfreak

VW Rabbits Rock... had a few in high school, the last water cooled I had was a Scirocco spent most of its life in Germany untill the 90's found lots of German coins when cleaning the interior must have been owend by someone in the service, still looking for a Rabbit Pick-up for a work rig.