Anyone in the Bay area interested in rallying?

5&dime720

Here is the route.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=109350485694847982452.00044b2c02e07b00a42b1&ll=37.411073,-122.345123&spn=0.219251,0.414734&z=11

I am adapting this event from my VW friends who have been doing these rallyes.

As some you you may recall, I made a few attempts to get us together some time ago. Maybe some one can come through?

This will be strictly a leisurely cruise. We can even stop and grab a burger.

If you are interested in participating please speak. We will can dial in a mutually convenient date!

Thank you!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was one of my favorite runs to do in the rain.:). I live in ssf so I go down sharp park road through devils slide to 84. Also you should check out kings mountan road it intersects 84 just a bit west of 280 and you end up on 35. So many fun times in the wagon on those roads.

If we get enough replies I am thinking roughly weekend of August. What do you guys think?

I am thinking meeting spot 1. Parking lot of Chabot jr. College in Hayward.

Then, meet up with Peninsulans, in the parking lot of Bridge Pointe Mall in Foster City.

Then on to our route.

That was my 'ol stompin' grounds too. I lived in Woodside up on Skyline in the '70s and then later in the '90s. I know every turn, rock, crack and pot hole in San Mateo County. I used to roll my sport bikes out of the shop and do hundred mile "laps" through those hills every day after work. (Back when you couldn't even get five bucks worth of gas into a tank.)

My favorite roads are in no particular order, Stage Road, Alpine Road, Page Mill Road, Kings Mountain Road, Tunitas Creek Road. I have had more fun than is allowed by law on Highway 84, Highway 1, 92, and am embarrassed to admit how fast I rode from 92 down to the highway 9 intersection and back.

I smoked Corvettes, 911s, a 308 QuatroValvole & a jerk in a M series BMW, just playing in the hills. Easy to blow by cars. In the summer evenings I used to wait down at Roberts of Woodside until the shift changed and I saw the Sheriff come down off the Mountain and go back to County. Take no prisoners... pass 'em where you find 'em. :lol:

Back in the seventies we used to go out on Skyline just before first light and burn gas and rubber. Never saw any traffic, nice and cool. Way too much fun. Used to go up there when there was a full moon and rip in the middle of the night, until I hit deer a couple of times. :eek:

In fact, I can tell stories for days about all the carnage and death I saw over the years in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Those roads are snakes that can bite you.

Have a good time. Don't do it on a Sunday and don't try to race sport bikes.

That was my 'ol stompin' grounds too. I lived in Woodside up on Skyline in the '70s and then later in the '90s. I know every turn, rock, crack and pot hole in San Mateo County. I used to roll my sport bikes out of the shop and do hundred mile "laps" through those hills every day after work. (Back when you couldn't even get five bucks worth of gas into a tank.)

My favorite roads are in no particular order, Stage Road, Alpine Road, Page Mill Road, Kings Mountain Road, Tunitas Creek Road. I have had more fun than is allowed by law on Highway 84, Highway 1, 92, and am embarrassed to admit how fast I rode from 92 down to the highway 9 intersection and back.

I smoked Corvettes, 911s, a 308 QuatroValvole & a jerk in a M series BMW, just playing in the hills. Easy to blow by cars. In the summer evenings I used to wait down at Roberts of Woodside until the shift changed and I saw the Sheriff come down off the Mountain and go back to County. Take no prisoners... pass 'em where you find 'em. :lol:

Back in the seventies we used to go out on Skyline just before first light and burn gas and rubber. Never saw any traffic, nice and cool. Way too much fun. Used to go up there when there was a full moon and rip in the middle of the night, until I hit deer a couple of times. :eek:

In fact, I can tell stories for days about all the carnage and death I saw over the years in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Those roads are snakes that can bite you.

Have a good time. Don't do it on a Sunday and don't try to race sport bikes.

figbuck,

I was curious if you knew of a story years ago on hwy 280 near the 92 interchange, rumors had it there was this rich guy around the area that use to do some banzai runs down 280SB in his at the time experimental stealth black painted lamborghini, he use to run down after about 2-3:30am about the time no one is out there and run w/o lights, I had heard that he had used some fighter pilots night vision goggles to see in the dark!! There was a chp on duty all the time parked on the stanford reststop(where the big rock statue is)and would always be surprised out of his sleep when his radar jumped to 175mph!!

conrad

conrad, that sounds about right. There are all kinds of urban myths surrounding 280 and for Skyline too for that matter. There are so many banzai stories. When I was coming up, there was no 280 or 92. I remember when the only stoplights on El Camino were on 3rd Ave in San Mateo and University in Palo Alto. Same for the Bayshore Hwy, for a long time 101 was just one lane in each direction. It was just as fast to drive from the City to San Jose on El Camino as 101. There weren't that many cars and not that many people either.

I remember going up to where they were building 280 on my Hodaka 90 and blasting full throttle down the compacted gravel road bed. That was up by where 92 crosses. Couple years later, when it was mostly paved but not open, we went up and blasted up and down the fresh pavement in the evenings.

When 280 finally opened everybody had to find out how fast their cars were right? There are so many places where it is just too easy to just let it all out.

One night about one o'clock I was north bound coming from SJ back to Redwood City. I was riding a brand new Honda VFR750. When I passed the Sand Hill exit I didn't see any lights behind me or in the oncoming direction, so I rolled it on in 4th hit 5th at 10k and dumped it into 6th near redline. After a few seconds, I still had a couple hundred rpms to redline, so I was probably doing 135. When you are going that fast stuff is coming at you pretty quickly. I got to Woodside road and turned off. I took a peek in my mirrors and there was nothing. A second later, I peek back and there is a CHP behind me. I try not to freak, but I have no idea where he came from and I think he must have seen me, but I was doing 35 in a 35. After a couple blocks he threw the lights on me. You know that sinking feeling. :o

He says that he pulled me over because I didn't have a plate and wanted to check my reg. Mumbles something about lots of new bikes get stolen. I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to get the seat off in the dark. He is giving me advice and it turns out that he is into sport bikes too and never saw me ripping. Just a coincidence, he just wanted to check out the bike. The guy wouldn't let me go, at one o'clock in the morning, he wants to talk about the V4. Finally he didn't even look at all my paperwork, he said have a nice night.

There are some longer stretches on 280, like from Moody Road down to 85, where you can get up to speed and there are no interchanges. I have had guys in super cars blow by me really early in the morning a couple times doing over a 150.

Hey, Ride Fast and Take Chances!

Ha anybody ever heard about the Century Club?

Better yet... guys, what it the fastest you have ever gone on the San Mateo Hayward Bridge??? :D:D

For those who can only run race gas, there are two gas stations near that route. The Olympian off of 92 has 105 unleaded and 110 leaded and the woodside 76 on Woodside rd has 100 at the pump.

I might have to buy a tank and turn up the boost!

Better yet... guys, what it the fastest you have ever gone on the San Mateo Hayward Bridge??? :D:D

:lol::lol::D I did about 145 (so the speedo said) in my buddys old 1988 Dinan tuned bmw 5 series about 10 years ago...looking back now it was stupid but fun when your young you think your gunna live forever and nothing can hurt you :blink: :o

looking back now it was stupid but fun when your young you think your gunna live forever and nothing can hurt you

Yeah, ain't that the truth. I've bent the needle on the peg a few times in my 620. Coming down the high rise section I though it was going to blow up. I guess it is all relative. If you are driving something that is made to go fas then you are comfortable but if you are going fast in like the truck it can be pretty hairball.

For years when I lived in the west bay, I used to go over to Yoshi's jazz club on Wednesday nights and come back at about twelve thirty. Couldn't resist if was no one else on the bridge. One of my 600 Hondas could get a hundred forty five, maybe a buck fifty right on redline at 11 grand. I'll tell you that I was so relaxed, I was draped on the bike like a piece of cloth. You don't really want to grab the bars at all, just gently push to keep the thing trimmed out. I'm always amazed how level and even the sections of road bed are on the causeway part.

At that speed you start asking yourself if it's really a good idea because your tires aren't really touching the pavement. You have to keep focused so hard on what you are doing and look as far ahead as you can. One time when I had made the transition onto the high rise, and the wind started to move me over a lane. I was only going a hundred but yikes, that gets your attention.

One night, I was rolling it on after I left the toll booth. At about 90 I realized that some lights were catching me up pretty fast so I slowed down. A freakin' lexus blows by me at warp speed and I couldn't catch him. He crested the high rise just as I got to the bottom of it and I gave up because it was windy. Yeah, that's my excuse and I sticking to it. :D

I watched them build the new section but have only driven a rental car over it two years ago

About '84 I had to go to up to Excramento to activate one of my contractors licenses. It was hot as hell in the valley and when I was riding back the sun had gone down. I stopped on Hisperian Blvd. to put on something warm because the Bay was getting foggy and cool.

When I got home in Redwood City, I realized that the little duffle bag I had bungied to my seat was gone. I went into a panic. In the bag was my wallet, credit cards, personal and business checkbooks, all the files for my license bonds and insurance, the original embossed license document. You get the picture. I didn't remember actually putting the bungies back on the bag and thought I should go back to the shopping center parking lot and check to see if it had fallen off.

There is no gas in the bike and I just rode for two hours, so I took my wife's Toyota MR2. I wrang that little sucker out going east. It was about eleven PM and still a little traffic, but I was hitting 140 for most of the causeway. My adrenaline was pumping I was so pissed at myself for being stupid. I was nowhere near redline I don't think.

When I got to the parking lot it was empty. I started to go really slow and look to see where the bag may have tumbled off. I got back on 880 and about a hundred yards down the freeway, I saw a pair of pants and the empty bag! I stoped and think that someone probably picked it up, went through it and dumped it, because it was completely unzipped.

Then I noticed some papers stuck to the cyclone fence being held up by the wind. I kept looking and I found every single thing that was in the bag scattered for fifty yards, the wind blowing papers all up against the fence. Hard to understand how the bag got unzipped, but it was pretty beat up. Dodged a bullet on that one.

This thread has really made me home sick. Portland is a really cool place to live but so is the Bay Area. I just talked to some of my friends that are all going to Laguna Seca tonight for MotoGP this weekend. For that matter, I know a couple of guys from here that started riding down yesterday. I am bummed out big time. I'm trapped here. Ain't gonna happen this year, but I swear I'm going to get my camper refurbished and drive the Datsun down there next year and camp.

So, nobody ever heard of the Century Club?