Stiffening up the suspension on a lowered 620

89irocz

Hello everyone, I'm new to the datsun world. luckily for me I have Friend who had a 510 and he knew alot of people in the datsun world such as jimmy from top jimmy motor sports and troy ermish. Any way I way I have a 74 620 that was lowered when I got it that I recently lowered some more. I have no idea how much lower it is from stock because it was already lowered when I bought it. So here is my situation I'm driving a pogo stick.. What can I do to keep it as low as it is but stiffen it up? I was thinking stiffer shocks all way round.. Although I have no clue what shocks to go with. And in the rear possibly putting some coil sleeves on the shocks to stiffen the rear up more. Oh and I have no idea how to post pictures do of someone could tell me how I'll post pictures asap!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to say,due to many unknowns. But first see if bump stops r still here. If so cut them down or remove them. Then ck to see if shocks r blown out and get us pic of leaf spring setup. In the front, u can extend top shock mount and keep stock shocks.

Use these instead of cutting your bumpstops swap them out with these, gave me a good 1-2" of clearance and you can still have bumpstops to avoid metal on metal contact.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-9-9102R/?rtype=10 only 10$ too!

On the rear you can use 720 4x4 leaf springs, they're straighter and stiffer so they'll lower it a bit and be stiffer, or you can flip a leaf.... removing leaf springs is not the way to go.

My rear tire is tucked. I'll post a picture asap. It's my profile picture but you can hardly see it.. I love the stance it has but if it causes harm to it then I'll have to deal with it a little lift in the rear

Not according to my '84 FSM. There may be the same number of leaves but several are thicker. Even the spring rate specified is higher than the 2wd and for the 620. If yours were soft maybe someone took one out or it wasn't 4x4.

These Are My Leafs

CA08A90B-5E2E-4BBD-82C9-2BC28151715C-395

I Havn't Actually Driven On Them For A Year

But I Can Remember They Were Much Stiffer Than The 4X4s

I Feel Like 4X4 Springs Give A Caddy Ride

Absorbs The Bumps Really Well

But My Leafs Feel Like I'm On Coilovers (I Didn't Have The Blocks Installed)

These Are My Leafs

WTF :hmm:

• Like 1
These Are My Leafs

yea wtf? lol im throwing my 4x4 leafs this weekend, just got my bushings,, i hope tht dont happen  lol y is there no shock in it?

You may as well take the springs off and weld the axle to the frame. That's bottomed out and the only suspension is the air pressure in the tires. Even the shocks didn't fit and were removed.

It has some give, look at how the frame metal above the axle has been bent a little.  :lol:

I see one of two things here, a frame notch, or back surgery.  :confused:

Back When I Drove My Truck I Didn't Have Lowering Blocks

I Even Installed Overload Shocks That Raised It 2" And Made It Stiffer

040AE014-44C2-4164-959F-C2A10ADEF261-395

The Picture U See Up There Is How It Is Now (Undriven)

I Am Going To Notch The Frame For Clearance

Also Trying To Find Out My Ride Height So I Can Order Proper Shocks

Hey guys. so I still haven't resolved my pogo stock problem or up loaded the pictures but I an very close to a crazy solution and if it works I'll put up a detailed build thread about it. if not there goes 100 bucks lol. I appreciate everyones opinion. What I did do today was add in a stiffer leaf it did help! I also found out my shocks were blown. My solution will come tomorrow if it worked. If not then I'll tell yall what I did so you don't do it.. Lol thanks again and sorry for lagging on the pictures

i found a solution to stiffing up lowered Datsuns in the rear!!! you may think im crazy but 99 dodge 3500 diesel base model front shocks (maybe rear i cant remember) will keep your datsun low and stiff and you can remove leafs!!! 

image1_zpsef77a460.jpeg

these are the shocks!!

image2_zpsb91b150f.jpeg

part number at o'reilly auto parts 

image3_zps205ee757.jpeg

this is what it looks like!

this is what  my datsun 620 looks like 

734641_480669638659991_2134102544_n_zps1

59782_480669111993377_369870013_n_zpsfbc

im running 3 leafs and a 3 in lowering block with these springs and all you have to do is remove the inner steel bushing out of the rubber bushing and it bolts right up. this is what it looks like without the metal bushing

image_zpsb79e38b3.jpeg

and it rides soooo nice!! :w00t: i hope this helps :thumbup: