Datsun 510 L20 swap

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ Also be sure to use the 510 metal mounts, that go from the block to the rubber mounts...

When I did this swap in rustina's wagon, it was a little tricky getting it to all line up but wasn't very far off.  the 510 mounts are shorter / keeping the motor at the right angle and such.

• 4 months later...

Ok thanks, What about a 280z 5 speed swap. Do you have to shorten the drive line and lengthen the shifter hole?

A couple of other things to know - The tranny cross member need to be hacked to give about 1 inch drop compared to the stock member. I always recommend the Experimental Engineering made X-member even though I wasn't smart enough to use one myself. You can use 1" spacers between the original X-member and the floor. That's what I did, but it decreases room for the exhaust pipe. Some guys cut out the center section of the X-member and weld it back in in a dropped position. It isn't exactly a straight drop though, the fore/aft position of the tranny mount is slightly different between a 4-spped and 5-speed.

The L20b block is about 3/4" taller than the L16, so your downpipe from the exhaust manifold may need to be modded to keep it from hitting the floor. You may be planning on new exhaust as part of the swap and can take care of it then.

The sleeve the throwout bearing mounts on must be matched to the CLUTCH you are using, which may not be the same length as the sleeve that is installed in the 5-speed. Don't assume the TO sleeve in the tranny is right, unless you are using a Z clutch on your L20b.

Len